Author Topic: Icon Ranges  (Read 2802 times)

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
Re: Icon Ranges
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2011, 12:47:22 PM »
not that hard to tell. just zoom in close, u see a glint of sun, you know its aluminum with no paint. this means american aircraft. then start looking for differences in the profile, if you can see a larger profile it could be a P38. soon youll be able to see the twin booms and you know its a 38 model before you get to 6K. same with 109s. Ta152s long wing is very noticable also. 190s and 109s are harder to tell apart until closer from that range. but if it has a paintjob or a black silouette it isnt a late war american. in scenarios this helps to know FoF etc. just study it for a bit and if you got good eyes or young eyes you'll most likely be able to tell planes apart out to 10K. granted this takes alot of focus and in a heated fight you dont want to take the time to do this

Except for the fact that all the planes at the distances mentioned look like black dots. I have never seen shimmering from any of those dots.

maybe I need a bigger monitor than my 23" to see what you are referring to.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2011, 12:55:44 PM »
That is all very subjective to the resolution the game is being displayed at.
How so? Could you elaborate?
Thanks in advance.
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2011, 01:02:15 PM »
How so? Could you elaborate?

Higher resolution= more pixels used to render a plane at the same range = more detail visible.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2011, 01:09:04 PM »
Except for the fact that all the planes at the distances mentioned look like black dots. I have never seen shimmering from any of those dots.

Unless you buy a real monitor with higher resolution and not just a larger 1080p TV being sold as a monitor, the larger size won't help.  I am hoping to get a Dell 27" or 30" screen next year.  I'll need a newer computer as well to display at the 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 resolutions of the screens.  1080p is, for comparison, 1920x1080.

Nr_RaVeN,

In extreme example, somebody running AH in 640x480 will simply not get the detail somebody running it at 2560x1600 will.  When a plane is made up of ~16 pixels on the higher resolution screen, the lower resolution screen will display it using a single pixel.  With 16 pixels you can get a basic plane shape revealing orientation.  When the smaller screen is up to 4 pixels, the larger one is up to ~60.  I can make a fairly good Spitfire picture with 60 pixels, not so much with 4.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2011, 01:14:52 PM »

p38's and i think p51's give off that glimmer........
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline FBCrabby

• Nickel Member
      • AHFreebirds.com
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2011, 01:20:41 PM »
I don't have a video card and I run straight off the motherboard with the vsync turned off... I can see your tanks just fine from 8k and below... I think everyone is all upset because they actually have to open their eyes now and actually do something...
AH-Freebirds.com - FB$ - Proud Squadron Of Aces High II

Actively Recruiting! - Join FB$ Today!

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2011, 01:32:11 PM »
I don't have a video card and I run straight off the motherboard with the vsync turned off... I can see your tanks just fine from 8k and below... I think everyone is all upset because they actually have to open their eyes now and actually do something...

houston, we have a winner.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2011, 01:32:57 PM »
You'd spend more time chasing aircraft and not being able to tell if you were catching them or not.  Probably be better for runners.

that never seemed to happen in the ava.

just sayin.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2011, 01:34:52 PM »

Fly in one of the special events that features no enemy icons, or when they occasionally run a no-icons week in AvA.  The principle result is that you don't begin shooting at the fantasy ranges available when the distance is calculated for you.  Instead you hold your fire until you're much closer, as was true in real life. 

It's fairly easy to tell whether the enemy plane is getting closer or farther away.

- oldman

and you learn to use your gunsight go gauge your distance.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2011, 01:48:35 PM »

winners don't have vsync off.  :old:

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2011, 01:54:04 PM »

winners don't have vsync off.  :old:

i was referencing his last statement....the one that is bolded in the quote.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2011, 01:55:51 PM »
i was referencing his last statement....the one that is bolded in the quote.  :aok

I know that.

Still no winner.  :)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »
Negatory.  The aircraft I am after should not be able to see a friendly Whirbelwind at 6.00 while on the deck and be able to unerringly lead me to it so that a frickin' ground vehicle can clear his six because I can't see it until I am already eating a face full of 20mm rounds.

I frankly don't care if I can or cannot see GVs from 8,000ft up.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2011, 02:15:04 PM »

Fly in one of the special events that features no enemy icons, or when they occasionally run a no-icons week in AvA.  The principle result is that you don't begin shooting at the fantasy ranges available when the distance is calculated for you.  Instead you hold your fire until you're much closer, as was true in real life. 

It's fairly easy to tell whether the enemy plane is getting closer or farther away.

- oldman

The above post from OM is a very accurate observation.
Further I would add that the "gang effect" is also greatly reduced the shorter the icon ranges... The less the icon range the less you will see the "gang effect".. For obvious reasons.

To truly understand why many enjoy shorter icon ranges or zero icons it has to be experienced first hand and the player needs to dedicate and put enough time into developing a new set of skills assimilate to the new experience. it doesn’t take long to figure it out after a bit of time it becomes very simple to id friend from foe it is very intuitive..

Fortunately I have had the opportunity to log in countless hours dedicated to both styles of play. My opinion is not based on "trying" the no icon settings a few times, but rather living with them for years.
I don’t understand why there is so much opposition to folks enjoying an alterative style of play or wanting a change of pace or why folks take sides. Both settings, icon and no icon are fun.

One isn’t better or more elite than the other. Its simply a mater of personal taste. Some folks like dark beer, others like light beer...

For me personally short or no icons.. espesialy Zero Icons both sides reinvigorated my passion for flight simming.  Things were becoming the same old same old.

Now days with large monitors becoming very affordable great video hardware and tools like Track ir 5, flying no icon settings are becoming very popular,and have been in many other Sims. Its clearly the wave of the future  :)
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »
Negatory.  The aircraft I am after should not be able to see a friendly Whirbelwind at 6.00 while on the deck and be able to unerringly lead me to it so that a frickin' ground vehicle can clear his six because I can't see it until I am already eating a face full of 20mm rounds.

I frankly don't care if I can or cannot see GVs from 8,000ft up.

bolded..........6.00 what?

aircraft have been used throughout history to spot. they will be within gun range, and sometimes not, but they should be able to see them. personally, i'm happy without the icons, although i know they couldn't work in the main arenas.

when you're following a con, it generally becomes kind of obvious you're being led to something before you get into guns range............
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"