Author Topic: Track ir  (Read 1893 times)

Offline sizzle22

• Copper Member
Track ir
« on: December 09, 2011, 08:33:20 PM »
Is it worth the extra $50 to get the Trackir 5 vs. the 4? What are the major differences one would notice between the two, mainly as far as in game goes.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Re: Track ir
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 04:47:30 PM »
I wish I could tell you about TIR5 but I've never used it.  I have TIR4 and have no problems whatsoever with its performance or precision.  TIR5 offers better resolution and tracking frame rates but to be honest I don't feel that it's necessary.

If I were to buy one today I'd probably save my money and get TIR4 but I can't say for sure because I've never used TIR5.

Hopefully we can find someone here that's used both that can compare the two.

Offline sizzle22

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:56:23 PM »
Well that might be enough info to help me make a decision. Thanks  :salute

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 07:53:56 AM »
If your going to keep it for years buy Trackir 5 with track clip pro :old:

Is it that much more expensive?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline noTch

• Silver Member
      • JV44 Butcher Birds
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:34:35 AM »
Either of these two with a pro clip is the way to go :aok  I mean have you ever seen theses guys in their silly looking hats with those crazy reflecto thingy, yeesh :bolt: With the pro clip you will look cool even in the dark, as the IR diodes emit light & the chicks really dig 'em  :rock 

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I have had TrakIR4 for over 3 years now & love it. The latest software version for 5 also works with the 4 camera so it is like having the 5 but with less bells and whistles(I'm guessing).  One major piece of advice, solicit and try many different profiles before you get a major headache and give it up.  Right out of the box, it can be a real monster to get used to. The interface can be a little confusing to tweek at first but be patient. 

Good luck :joystick:
AHXARL Lead Campaign Manager/2012-?

My new favorite clip--->http://youtu.be/_2Nn4wAVNOg

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Solicit   :)

The GFC

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:04:39 PM »
If your going to keep it for years buy Trackir 5 with track clip pro :old:

Is it that much more expensive?

It's $120 vs. $170... or a $50 difference.  Basically the TIR5 proclip bundle is about 42% more than the TIR4 proclip bundle.  That's pretty significant especially if you are on a budget.

Offline sizzle22

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 08:15:27 PM »
----- With the pro clip you will look cool even in the dark, as the IR diodes emit light & the chicks really dig 'em  :rock 

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I have had TrakIR4 for over 3 years now & love it. The latest software version for 5 also works with the 4 camera so it is like having the 5 but with less bells and whistles(I'm guessing).  One major piece of advice, solicit and try many different profiles before you get a major headache and give it up.  Right out of the box, it can be a real monster to get used to. The interface can be a little confusing to tweek at first but be patient. 

Good luck :joystick:

thanks for the input and as far as the chicks go.... shhhhh!!!!! my wife might find out the real reason I wanna get this contraption. :cheers:

Offline sizzle22

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »
It's $120 vs. $170... or a $50 difference.  Basically the TIR5 proclip bundle is about 42% more than the TIR4 proclip bundle.  That's pretty significant especially if you are on a budget.

$50 is a fairly large difference, especially for something my body may reject like a baboon heart, but I'm willing to take the chance on this. I have been playing this game for 4 years now and trackir has intrigued me from the get go. I gotta wait till after the holidays before i can pick one up, and as far as getting the pro clip.... that was a no brainer for me.  :joystick: I cant wear a hat while i play that would just get in the way of my wig.... :rock

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 12:51:14 AM »
I wore a hat and clip at first, track clip pro was a big improvement.

I switch certain settings off my tracker 5 such as zoom and uncheck relative mode in game.

it's a pity you cannot borrow one for a couple of weeks .

The GFC

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 01:19:37 PM »
$50 is a fairly large difference, especially for something my body may reject like a baboon heart, but I'm willing to take the chance on this. I have been playing this game for 4 years now and trackir has intrigued me from the get go. I gotta wait till after the holidays before i can pick one up, and as far as getting the pro clip.... that was a no brainer for me.  :joystick: I cant wear a hat while i play that would just get in the way of my wig.... :rock

So what makes you think it would make you sick?  I know some people never get used to it but the vast majority have no problems.

I had a huge surprise the first time I was on a cruise ship!  I've been thrown around in cars, roller coasters and airplanes and never get motion sickness.  Track IR?  No sweat!  I was fine with mine after a couple of minutes and fluent in it within a couple of days.  I never did get sick with it.  Then last summer I took a one day party cruise to the Bahamas and about 45 minutes into the ride I just couldn't take it any more.

Yes we were cruising through a storm and the ship was being tossed around pretty good but in less than an hour I was at the main counter buying some Dramamine (which actually worked VERY WELL!)  I was actually having a blast with the ship rocking back and forth and watching the water appear to come up over the ship and then drop back down back and forth over and over.  I'm a freak that way though.  When I fly through turbulence I just want to jump up and yell "YES!" when everyone else is holding on for deal life and praying for their safety!

My G/F on the other hand cant even close her eyes in a car without getting sick to her stomach.. yet the cruise didn't bother her one single bit.  Go figure!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 01:58:57 PM »
you must either wear a hat or a headset, no way around it unless you glue the reflectors to your wig  :D.  you gonna get sick the first couple of days, best thing is take time to get used to it then it will be the best part of your set up.

if the clip is too smal for your headset then use black electrical tape and keep a roll handy as every couple of weeks you will have to re do the tape.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline sizzle22

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 06:49:52 PM »
I'm not really too concerned about getting physically ill from the device, its more or less the learning curve. with that being said, I find myself already leaning and trying to look around the cowling or just tilting my head from side to side. I know for a fact I'm gonna get the pro clip regardless of which version I decide on. I truly appreciate all of the input and will let you folks know what one I do get, along with my dislike or like of said product. I am a fairly patient person when it comes to equipment changes in this game so I'm sure ill be OK.        :salute

Online SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 09:16:08 PM »
I never got sick, or dizzy using trackir. It really only took a couple of days for me to get use to it, and after a month I couldn't imagine flying without it.
The thing that really took me the longest was getting the profile dialed in to where I like it. Once I did that I've never looked back.
I went so far as to not map the views to my stick or throttle and rely entirely on tir.
I have a trackir 4 with the pro clip. I've had it for several years without any problems.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 10:16:59 PM »
I'm not really too concerned about getting physically ill from the device, its more or less the learning curve. with that being said, I find myself already leaning and trying to look around the cowling or just tilting my head from side to side. I know for a fact I'm gonna get the pro clip regardless of which version I decide on. I truly appreciate all of the input and will let you folks know what one I do get, along with my dislike or like of said product. I am a fairly patient person when it comes to equipment changes in this game so I'm sure ill be OK.        :salute

The thing that I find to be funny (and my G/F laughs at me for) is when I'm watching TV and then something moves off of the screen and I move or turn my head to try to keep it in view.  I guess I'm just so used to the TrackIR that I instinctively try to use it even when I'm not playing!  HAH!