Author Topic: Track ir  (Read 1889 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Track ir
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 12:35:34 AM »
The thing that I find to be funny (and my G/F laughs at me for) is when I'm watching TV and then something moves off of the screen and I move or turn my head to try to keep it in view.  I guess I'm just so used to the TrackIR that I instinctively try to use it even when I'm not playing!  HAH!

lol I do that in world of tanks

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 06:16:31 AM »
I've been using TrackIR 5 (with the pro clip thingy) for just 2 nights of AH now and seem to have gotten the hang of it pretty quickly and easily! The software is very good for tweaking to your liking, and for your particular setup, and it feels great to fly with.

The only thing I'm having a little trouble getting used to is keeping my 6 view in the right place when doing an aileron roll or barrel roll...after I've completed about 50% of the roll I begin to see the seat/headrest again instead of out the back. BUT I did notice when doing some duelling practice I didn't have that problem in a rolling scissors, maybe when you're concentrating on tracking an enemy plane you just do it naturally without over-thinking it. Or maybe, now that I think about it, during a rolling scissors you're more looking upwards than backwards for most of it........hmmmm

Would still appreciate input from anyone else who found the 6 views while rolling difficult ;D   :salute

I'm still tweaking my profile a little bit here and there to get it exactly perfect for me, but I honestly found it very easy to get started with and would advise people NOT to be discouraged by the idea of it being hard to set up or get used to.  
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline noTch

• Silver Member
      • JV44 Butcher Birds
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 10:17:04 AM »
Hey Coombz, try this profile in the thread and see if you like the up & six view better. Warning: it is a little fast for most so just take some time to let it sink in that you just need to move your head less to see better views :aok

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,312975.0.html

ps.  Feel free to add your's once it is tweaked or modified :rock
AHXARL Lead Campaign Manager/2012-?

My new favorite clip--->http://youtu.be/_2Nn4wAVNOg

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 12:06:50 PM »
I've been using TrackIR 5 (with the pro clip thingy) for just 2 nights of AH now and seem to have gotten the hang of it pretty quickly and easily! The software is very good for tweaking to your liking, and for your particular setup, and it feels great to fly with.

The only thing I'm having a little trouble getting used to is keeping my 6 view in the right place when doing an aileron roll or barrel roll...after I've completed about 50% of the roll I begin to see the seat/headrest again instead of out the back. BUT I did notice when doing some duelling practice I didn't have that problem in a rolling scissors, maybe when you're concentrating on tracking an enemy plane you just do it naturally without over-thinking it. Or maybe, now that I think about it, during a rolling scissors you're more looking upwards than backwards for most of it........hmmmm

Would still appreciate input from anyone else who found the 6 views while rolling difficult ;D   :salute

I'm still tweaking my profile a little bit here and there to get it exactly perfect for me, but I honestly found it very easy to get started with and would advise people NOT to be discouraged by the idea of it being hard to set up or get used to.  

The 6 views take a little bit of getting used to but it's more of a muscle memory kind of thing.  In a couple weeks you won't even think twice about it.

Do yourself a favor and disable the "Roll" axis as all it does is make things very annoying.  I didn't actually turn mine off completely but I did crank it WAY down.  This way it rotates just a little tiny bit to add to the realism but that's all.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
The only thing I'm having a little trouble getting used to is keeping my 6 view in the right place when doing an aileron roll or barrel roll...after I've completed about 50% of the roll I begin to see the seat/headrest again instead of out the back.

It's possible that perhaps you are needing to turn your head too much to get the in-game head to spin around and the TIR reciever is losing track of your emitters. Try increasing the scaling for the axis that turns your head. I have mine set so my nose points at the edge of my 24" widescreen monitor from arm's length away and my in-game head is looking straight back.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2011, 02:26:19 PM »
For the roll axis, I personally set it as 1:1, so the amount you tilt your head corresponds to the amount it moves on the screen.  I find it very helpful to help me visualize what's going on when I naturally tilt my head sometimes to keep the horizon closer to level without thinking.  It would drive me nuts if I had it set to magnify input though.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 02:38:33 PM »
I've had both the 4 and now a 5 (track clips with both) and I find the 5 is significantly more precise and less prone to "floating"  around the center as a result. It also does a better job with light filtering and IIRC it has a wider field of view.
The 4 is a good unit for sure, but I'd personaly spend the $$ on the 5.  However, if I had to choose between spending the dough for a 5 or getting a track clip, get the track clip.

I also have a pretty good profile for anyone who wants to try it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 02:43:52 PM by clerick »

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 12:14:32 AM »
I have a quick and important question regarding trackir5, wondering if you could answer it Coombzy.  Is there a switch/button in AH that enables you to instantly disable the whole trackir thing and revert back to your normal hat views on your HOTAS?  I'd love the trackir for just general flying about and locking in on long range targets and zooming in on them/etc, but I'd rather be able to switch that off and stick with what I know and prefer to use (hat on stick) when in a knife fight?

Same, better, worse?

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 01:47:44 AM »
I have a quick and important question regarding trackir5, wondering if you could answer it Coombzy.  Is there a switch/button in AH that enables you to instantly disable the whole trackir thing and revert back to your normal hat views on your HOTAS?  I'd love the trackir for just general flying about and locking in on long range targets and zooming in on them/etc, but I'd rather be able to switch that off and stick with what I know and prefer to use (hat on stick) when in a knife fight?

Same, better, worse?

TrackIR has the ability to pause via a keystroke and I have that mapped to my stick for easy access. Also, if you use a hat to check a view it should override the trackIR as long as you have the hat switch engaged. 

You might be surprised how often you use the trackir after a while. I love being able to look over and around the nose by just moving my head a bit. The ONLY thing I use the hat for now is the 6 view in some certain blue planes...

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2011, 02:20:36 AM »
Cool, TY sir, that's just what I was looking for.  I'm going to order the TIR5 with that pro clip so I don't get made even more fun of by the wife and her barstar friends when they come over for wearing what looks to be a tinfoil hat type deal for the non pro clip way of doing things. 

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2011, 04:24:03 AM »
Thanks for all the comments guys :aok much appreciated. Tigger's advice about lowering the sensitivity of the Roll axis helped a bit with keeping me in the right place with while going inverted + checking 6, but mostly I just needed some more stick time with it.  

The most helpful thing last night was flying about an hour and a half of duels with a squaddie, while we chatted constantly about life, the universe and everything  :rofl I was concentrating so much on trying to beat him, and on what we were talking about, that my hind-brain or subconscious or whatever completely took over when it came to the views.

Gman, as clerick has said there is a button to pause the TrackIR whenever you want, and also one to re-centre the view after you've wobbled it around ;D  I think you'll find though, that even in knife fights you will prefer to use the TrackIR and enjoy having the option to bind a bunch of other things to your hat switches

:salute

oh, and all your friends will be totally jealous of your awesome headgear with the Trackclip pro ;)  honest
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:27:07 AM by coombz »

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2011, 04:33:51 AM »
oh one other slightly interesting/weird thing - I tried notch's profile last night (thanks for that mate, it was a bit too slow for me though, probably because I'm playing on a gigantic TV), and also experimented with turning TrueView off on my own test profile as a few people have mentioned that that helps them

strangely the only difference I noticed with TrueView off is that my X axis (leaning head left and right) was reversed! I'm sure that's not what it is supposed to do  :headscratch:

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 07:49:35 AM »
strangely the only difference I noticed with TrueView off is that my X axis (leaning head left and right) was reversed! I'm sure that's not what it is supposed to do  :headscratch:

it should reverse them in your 6 view.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 08:30:40 AM »
Clerick, is like to give your setup a shot. I have a collection building.  :D

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 08:35:51 AM »
Trueview is used in those cases where you're looking behind you and need to move your head left or right so when you move your real head left your game head moves left. Looking backwards tends to make the software work backwards, hence the need for this setting. Some games that support TIR will usually have a setting like that, and you should enable it in one or the other, but not in both; although it depends on how it's implemented in the games.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals