Author Topic: 88mm flack gun  (Read 4007 times)

Offline VILKAS

• Gold Member
Re: 88mm flack gun
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 07:12:43 PM »
yall thought Vilkas was bad before wait till he gets this  :D

A German 88 mm gun in the antitank role. Originally designed as anti-aircraft gun, it was also used as anti-tank gun
                      from early in the war, and fitted in tanks from 1942.
                      It's high velocity and flat trajectory made it greatly feared weapon.

It is my regret, that I was to young to be beside it ! :frown:  Us young ones, only the pea shooters  :cry

:old:....... :salute  ... U ALL !!!

Live each day like it's you last, One day you'll get it right"

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 07:14:01 PM »
I am hoping HTC wont give it AP shells, that is what the 17 Pdr AT gun is for.  Besides, the 17 Pdr has better AP performance any way.  

Not that it matters now, but I vote to give it AA shot only.  The 8.8cm Sprgr. Patr. L/4.5 Gerillt (High Explosive Fragmentation) could reach up to 32,000 ft.

I wonder how the trajectory compares to the 5in guns we currently have in AH?  I'm guessing quite a bit flatter.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:19:33 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »
Why not make it a duel purpose weapon as it was intended? instead of throwing 17lbers everywhere you can simply have 88s.
JG 52

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 07:22:30 PM »
Why not make it a duel purpose weapon as it was intended? instead of throwing 17lbers everywhere you can simply have 88s.

I didnt think it was designed to be anything but an AA gun from the start?  Obviously, it turned in to something far greater than "just an AA gun".

I think having it stationary at a field would lend more towards it being AA than dual purpose, but that is just me.  Did all the units who deployed this weapon receive AP as well?
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 07:33:15 PM »
This sure is going to put a damper on things for the milkrunners that just want to fly around flattening towns.
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 07:34:37 PM »
This sure is going to put a damper on things for the milkrunners that just want to fly around flattening towns.

I haven't seen anything yet that would make me do such a prognosis.

Just for the record, I never ever have been shot down by a manned CV 5" cruising above 20k, and these do have proximity fuses even.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:36:45 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »
Now that will be interesting as to how that will work on a manable gun?  :headscratch:
Warbirds used the mousewheel to scroll fuse distance. "uses"
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 07:39:27 PM »
I haven't seen anything yet that would make me do such a prognosis.

You don't think that 1 (maybe more) 88's spread around an airfield would give a bomber jock reason to pause and think about his route?

I know I would.
See Rule #4

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 07:39:49 PM »
It would be very cool if they were manned by players and towable in the future, use an M3 or SdKfz 251 to tow them.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 07:42:45 PM »
Pretty certain ManaWar is having a special moment to himself right about now :lol

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 07:47:59 PM »
Pretty certain ManaWar is having a special moment to himself right about now :lol

I was thinking the same thing.  :lol

People are always looking for ways to stop the horde, well I say add more ack.

I'm currently reading "The Big Show". In it, the author describes the massive amounts of flak put up by the Germans. He even describes "ack lanes", which were setup on the runway approaches to allow aircraft to land without threat of vulching.

I am 100% on board with more anti-aircraft artillery in this game.
See Rule #4

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
I'm concerned about the pilots out there that do not understand the idea of flying fast and high to avoid AAA, or perhaps maybe even go around it.  or make it a priority to destroy it?

The same people that dive screaming into base ack and complain that I'm an ack hugger...will I now be just that 5k+ away from a base? ;)

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 08:05:57 PM »
scoring hits against a fast moving fighter that is constantly changing direction and alt while furballing/chasing down a runner with a gun that does not have proximity fuses but only a preset timer for alt/range a slow (compared to the 37mm) rate of fire and a slow traversing/tracking rate will be almost impossible. i think only the gamers that have figured out how to scam hits on fighters with tanks (very few individuals that i have heard of) may stand a chance, but other than that i dont see them being much of a "run to the ack" option.
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »
Tankers are not "scamming hits" on enemy fighters.
If the fighter flies low on a direct attack approach right into your tank sites, that's not much of a scam, thats a silly attacker.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 08:18:41 PM »

I'm currently reading "The Big Show". In it, the author describes the massive amounts of flak put up by the Germans. He even describes "ack lanes", which were setup on the runway approaches to allow aircraft to land without threat of vulching.

I am 100% on board with more anti-aircraft artillery in this game.

Pierre Clostermann would be the man and an excellent read.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE