Author Topic: Collision Model  (Read 22861 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Collision Model
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 11:18:06 AM »
My only gripe about the collision model is when some yahoo comes in to pick and you end up colliding with an aircraft you never saw (your client saw, but not you I should say).

Still, it is a much better system than no collision (which would encourage more HOs), or one where two planes collide regardless of what your FE sees. Until we all play in the same room, it is the best of all available evils.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 02:02:10 PM »
AH has models??? What do they look like? Do they have a calendar?    :rock
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »
What message did you see exactly. You say collision message ... but which one?

From your description it sounds like you got a So and So collide with you, and then you were killed with bullets.

HiTech

I got the "you have collided" message. I suppose it could have been lag though like was suggested earlier. I wish I had film to show you what I saw but I didn't have it going. 

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »
I understand the collision model and why it is there.  But I think both planes should take critical damage. 

Getting a "so and so has collided with you" with guns blazing and gets a piece of you while he flies away with a missing aeleron is dumb.

When you throw on the breaks and are trying to avoid someone on your 6 to the point you are going 100mph or less and have them fly by at a higher rate of speed into your nose, sometimes I get the collision even though I was trying to avoid.  I get damage they fly away unharmed.  Dumb

I understand it opens up the "kamikaze", but I would argue that in most instances the "kamikaze" is already coming in guns blazing taking out their oppenent by ramming their guns up the backside.  As it is now they will fly away with an oil leak and their kill, but they should be in a pile on the ground just like you.
Hopper

JG/11

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 05:44:38 PM »
I understand the collision model and why it is there.  But I think both planes should take critical damage. 
If you think that I doubt you really understand the collision model.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »
If you think that I doubt you really understand the collision model.

I understand ping and its relation with the server and the computers.  I understand some of the collisions I take are not collisions on the other guys screen and I still feel that both planes should take the damage and not fly away from it.

Any other comment you would like to make?
Hopper

JG/11

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 09:00:55 PM »
I understand ping and its relation with the server and the computers.  I understand some of the collisions I take are not collisions on the other guys screen and I still feel that both planes should take the damage and not fly away from it.

Change "some" to "almost all" and then think about the consequences of your suggestion.

It takes 10ish minutes for an attacker to fly to a base, it takes a defender maybe a minute to reach him.  The defender then rams the attacker, something the attacker cannot dodge as he can't see what he is dodging, and <boom> both go down.  Defender ups and is back in position in a tenth the time the attacker is.

Both take damage is completely non-viable.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 10:16:25 PM »

So your saying you would be ok with a plane flying near your plane, not coming too close, but due to lag your plane takes damage, even tho you only flew near him right, because on his computer it looked like he flew right through your plane?   :rolleyes:

Offline Hopper

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 12:18:27 AM »
Karnak if they are trying to ram you, like in your example, more than likely they will kill you with guns like it is now and fly away with a damaged gun, oil damage ...ect. after a collision.  I don't like that, that is what I want changed.  I want them to take severe damage.

Fugi yes because if they changed the damage to be more severe for the collider, people will slam on the brakes and try to be the collidee to cause their opponent to go down.

Maybe you guys like it now that if you do collide you get to fly away with a missing elevator, I don't think you should fly away at all.   :rolleyes:

So to me it would only work if both went down   

I would guess I spend 1/2 my time avoiding HO's that would end in a collision if i HOed back as it stands now.  I would hope people would think twice about the chance of collision if the consequences were more severe.
Hopper

JG/11

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 12:40:29 AM »
i say if anyone collides... both parties get the collision regardless... planes aren't supposed to touch any way... and  if they do.. for example to take an enemy plane down via collision is a viable tactic... and not because someone's internet connection is better than others and therefore he doesn't get the collision... total bull i reckon...
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 01:23:52 AM »
i say if anyone collides... both parties get the collision regardless... planes aren't supposed to touch any way... and  if they do.. for example to take an enemy plane down via collision is a viable tactic... and not because someone's internet connection is better than others and therefore he doesn't get the collision... total bull i reckon...
Internet connection has absolutely no role in the collision model.  It doesn't matter at all what your respective connections are.  If your FE detects a collision, you take damage.  If his detects a collision he takes damage.  If both detect a collision, both take damage.  It is easy as pie to understand.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 04:52:01 AM »
Internet connection has absolutely no role in the collision model.  It doesn't matter at all what your respective connections are.  If your FE detects a collision, you take damage.  If his detects a collision he takes damage.  If both detect a collision, both take damage.  It is easy as pie to understand.

neg if i both detect collision, i always die, the other flies away with no damage  :cry.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 06:05:40 AM »

YEA RITE!!! if it was that easy.. i wouldn't be complaining....then why am i the only 1 detecting a collision sitting on the runway and not even moving?? how is it my fault for sitting on the runway and colliding into someone when i'm not even moving??
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 06:13:46 AM »
YEA RITE!!! if it was that easy.. i wouldn't be complaining....then why am i the only 1 detecting a collision sitting on the runway and not even moving?? how is it my fault for sitting on the runway and colliding into someone when i'm not even moving??

Who said it was your fault?

You are the only one to detect a collision if the collision happens only on your FE. And it'S the other way around too. If there's no collision on your screen, but on your enemy's... he will take damage, not you.

The program never judges anything, it doesn't care about who's fault it was, who did fly into whom and what not. It's a simple collision detection on each player's computer. And contrary to myth, it is not the server who decides anything, he just gets the results and does his usual job, i.e. assigning (proxy) kills if applicable.

The irony is: Player come here to complain, because they had a collision on their screen and the enemy had none on his and files away. Nobody thinks about what the "both go down, no matter what" concept would mean to them.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 06:20:13 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 06:18:31 AM »
see thats what i meant... he collides into me and i get the damage and he gets none... shouldn't both get it? i think they need to rework the model so both parties get the damage...

and i think the way the FE(whatever that means) detects, is the way the lag is on both parties...
DES 354th FG
Manfred von Richthofen