Author Topic: Collision Model  (Read 22866 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Collision Model
« Reply #195 on: December 28, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
Well, it is obvious that people don't like to die in the MA. So why would people want to risk ramming another plane knowing they will die. The current model allows for some people to ram and receive little or no damage while the other player got killed.

With the current model you have to correctly guess the right empty place somewhere ahead of the enemy plane, with no actual knowledge how things are really looking on your opponents screen. Thus, a successful ram is quite difficult, it's waaaay les 'efficient' than simply shooting your opponent down.

"Both go down" completely reverses the equation. In this case, it will be terribly difficult to evade a ram, as you can dodge the rammer on your screen and still go down. It's basically turning the world upside down.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #196 on: December 28, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »
It was just a seggestion. I always got rammed by some guy picking in a fight I was currently in and I would loose a wing and he would fly away just perfect...that crap made me the most angry out of anything. So by having both players die it would make me happy to know he didn't live either.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #197 on: December 28, 2011, 01:48:24 PM »
It was just a seggestion. I always got rammed by some guy picking in a fight I was currently in and I would loose a wing and he would fly away just perfect...that crap made me the most angry out of anything. So by having both players die it would make me happy to know he didn't live either.

But he didn't collide with you... you collided with him.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #198 on: December 28, 2011, 01:49:11 PM »
But he didn't collide with you... you collided with him.
Then it's my fault I deserve to die.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Then it's my fault I deserve to die.

exactly :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #200 on: December 28, 2011, 01:58:18 PM »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #201 on: December 28, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
Imagine watching him try to pick you and passing 100 yards behind you, only for you to die in a collision with him.  That is what you are asking for.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #202 on: December 28, 2011, 06:11:50 PM »
The current model allows for some people to ram and receive little or no damage while the other player got killed.

No it doesn't.

It allows the other player to fly away undamaged only if he managed to evade the collision on his end.

It's simple really...  Don't fly into the other guy; and if it looks like he's going to fly into you get out of his way.  It's the exact same strategy you'd have to use in RL.

I can't believe how much discussion there is on something that can be almost completely avoided by paying attention to your surroundings, that's modeled completely adequately for 99.9999999% of player-to-player confrontations, isn't due to anything other than the time it takes data to move from one player to another, is by far the lesser of many evils when it comes to potential "fixes" for internet lag, is the fix that most approximates RL, and is the fix that most improves game-play by forcing players to try to avoid bumping into each other.

Its worth repeating-

Don't fly into the other guy; and if it looks like he's going to fly into you get out of his way.  It's the exact same strategy you'd have to use in RL.

If you fail at those ultra-basic requirements, you'll take damage every time.  If you succeed, you won't ever take collision damage.

Please tell me people didn't actually create an account and pay for a "realistic-as-possible" game where they're surprised they need to do that, and where there are penalties for failing to do that?

Restructuring the collision model around the fact that in exceedingly rare instances a GV could possibly take damage from a collision that he saw, while a plane could fly away unscathed by the collision he didn't see makes about as much sense as... well... I guess I can't think of anything that makes sense on such a small scale.  Never mind.

Sure, occasionally you'll take damage that you can't avoid and that isn't your fault.  But in reality, if you're experiencing a collision more than once in every 40 or so hours of game-play I'd argue that you aren't paying close enough attention to your surroundings.  Look out the windows!  That's what they're there for!

One more time-

Don't fly into the other guy; and if it looks like he's going to fly into you get out of his way.  It's the exact same strategy you'd have to use in RL.

Skuzzy-  Until technology advances to the point where data can be transmitted across the world and back instantaneously (does that mean it would have to travel at twice-instantaneous speed??) I think you've got the collision model right!  But, just to help folks out maybe you should have a logon message pop up saying something along the lines of "Try not to bump into the bad guys, or let the bad guys bump into you!".  Maybe it could be in 72-font, and maybe even blink?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #203 on: December 28, 2011, 08:39:15 PM »
I will have to look when I get back to Dallas. But I am almost positive vehicles do not have collisions with other players.

HiTech

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: December 28, 2011, 10:22:05 PM »
I will have to look when I get back to Dallas. But I am almost positive vehicles do not have collisions with other players.

HiTech

AFAIK no one takes damage but I have seen the white "SoandSo has collided with you" while I am in a tank. I have also heard a big CLANK that sounds like a collision while in a plane strafing a tank but did not get an orange "you have collided" message.

Sitting on an enemy runway in front of the aircraft spawn is a different matter.

The only thing gv's collide with are trees and buildings.  :aok

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #205 on: December 28, 2011, 10:48:42 PM »
Imagine watching him try to pick you and passing 100 yards behind you, only for you to die in a collision with him.  That is what you are asking for.
Yes.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #206 on: December 29, 2011, 12:33:19 AM »
Yes.
Well, that's stupid.

Sorry, but it is.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #207 on: December 29, 2011, 02:44:22 AM »

HiTech

They do if the other player is in a plane.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #208 on: December 29, 2011, 06:52:58 AM »
No it doesn't.

It allows the other player to fly away undamaged only if he managed to evade the collision on his end.

It's simple really...  Don't fly into the other guy; and if it looks like he's going to fly into you get out of his way.  It's the exact same strategy you'd have to use in RL.

I can't believe how much discussion there is on something that can be almost completely avoided by paying attention to your surroundings, that's modeled completely adequately for 99.9999999% of player-to-player confrontations, isn't due to anything other than the time it takes data to move from one player to another, is by far the lesser of many evils when it comes to potential "fixes" for internet lag, is the fix that most approximates RL, and is the fix that most improves game-play by forcing players to try to avoid bumping into each other.

Its worth repeating-

If you fail at those ultra-basic requirements, you'll take damage every time.  If you succeed, you won't ever take collision damage.

Please tell me people didn't actually create an account and pay for a "realistic-as-possible" game where they're surprised they need to do that, and where there are penalties for failing to do that?

Restructuring the collision model around the fact that in exceedingly rare instances a GV could possibly take damage from a collision that he saw, while a plane could fly away unscathed by the collision he didn't see makes about as much sense as... well... I guess I can't think of anything that makes sense on such a small scale.  Never mind.

Sure, occasionally you'll take damage that you can't avoid and that isn't your fault.  But in reality, if you're experiencing a collision more than once in every 40 or so hours of game-play I'd argue that you aren't paying close enough attention to your surroundings.  Look out the windows!  That's what they're there for!

One more time-

Skuzzy-  Until technology advances to the point where data can be transmitted across the world and back instantaneously (does that mean it would have to travel at twice-instantaneous speed??) I think you've got the collision model right!  But, just to help folks out maybe you should have a logon message pop up saying something along the lines of "Try not to bump into the bad guys, or let the bad guys bump into you!".  Maybe it could be in 72-font, and maybe even blink?
Quoted for awesomeness 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #209 on: December 29, 2011, 08:57:07 AM »
even if computers transmitted data at light speed over the internet it still wouldn't be fast enough.

:headscratch:  :O

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.