Author Topic: Heads up anyone using AMD bulldozer cpus  (Read 1240 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Heads up anyone using AMD bulldozer cpus
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:20:25 PM »
Microsoft just announced a hotfix that will boost their performance: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2592546/

Currently, the performance of AMD Bulldozer CPUs is slower than expected. This behavior occurs because the threading logic in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2 is not optimized to use the Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT) scheduling feature. This feature was introduced in the Bulldozer family of AMD CPUs.

Note This issue may occur when you use applications that run in multiple threads.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Heads up anyone using AMD bulldozer cpus
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
Nice find.  I'll have to re-run my tests.  I had a funny feeling the thread manager (same one since Windows XP) might be a problem.  It really is an archaic work which should have been replaced a long time ago.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 06:52:01 PM »
win8DP has the patch pre-installed. been running it on stock cooler w/ one INT unit per module;

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 01:45:55 AM »
heya skribetm,

how do you like win8 DP  so far? 

I saw this below article the other day, regarding MS and windows 8, and it makes a person wonder ya know.......

Windows 8 Apps Can be Remotely Removed by Microsoft

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/windows_8_apps_can_be_remotely_removed_microsoft

have not had the chance to do any indepth reading on Windows 8, yet........ I do have a developerscopy, just have not bother to mess with on installing it or anything........ I'll prob hold off until its in closed beta testing and past the developers stage or right before they get close to RC1 version......... if I mess with it at all........ not to interested in  clouds & beaming , but then I still have not dug into reading up on it ......

how do you like your FX  AMD cpu?.........  do you have a Win 7 64 bit OS installed anywhere ( dif partition, perhaps ) ........ have you tried the above posted hotfix, MrRipley posted about?

what's your opinion on your FX verses the Top End Phenom II quad or 6 core cpus?  like the x4 975 or 980  or the t1100x6 ?compared to your FX8120?

I was able to get my 975 x4 to  autotune OC to 4.85 ghz , at 4.9 it couldn't stay stable  on air cool with the case closed.......... ( I had posted about it on the squad mail list, but had a typo and posted 4.95 ......... I bet if I manually went and tweaked on it I could maybe get it up to that 4.9 or 4.95....... )

I had thought bout upgrading to the FX4100 but not sure if it will be really worth it.......... will wait and see when more data comes in......

nice pic on the overdrive, also over in the Beta forum where you posted some in game pics  with your clipboard graphics settings showing.......

TC 
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 05:14:10 AM »
can't wait to hear about skuzzytech new test results :)
now posting as SirNuke

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 05:54:46 AM »
thanks TC! this CPU has been fun to say the least.  :D :D :D
recalling the first k10/deneb core (Phenom II 940BE) just over two years ago- it could barely get to 4.0GHz w/ an aftermarket air cooler and it was only for a cpu-z screeny, not stable at all.
now you have this FX 32nm, on stock cooler(can't emphasize that enough!), easily reaching 4.7GHz stable and playing AH. no wonder it broke the cpu-frequency world record, and just like k10 cores- no cold bugs!  ;)

as for comparison, it really depends on the workload. an fx-8120 feels much like a "workstation CPU" at stock freqs(3.1); but where it really shines on are environments w/ a lot of heavy threads.
thats why i disabled one compute unit and jacked up the frequency. once you step on 4.0GHz, there isn't really anything at all that "feels slow." specially with an ssd.

re: win8DP, i've not had any trouble/crashes with it, the metro interface is annoying though. better suited for tablets. hope they include an option to disable it.
also, i never store anything sensitive on this machine. all my por.. err... tax returns, personal pictures, etc. are stored via a detachable hdd/esata.
you never know what  data m$ is gathering in the background- specially on a free developer preview build.

also, i would suggest waiting for the fx-4170 (1Q/2012) if you're upgrading from a k10 quad. that thing has 4.2 base freqs, crazy!
btw, i assume you have a custom water loop to cool your amd machine? ...

re: patch- m$ yanked the update, it's not available anymore.(?)  :( :confused: :confused:
i haven't ran win7 (w/o patch) so i can't really compare, but for AH i doubt there's any significant performance improvements.
there's more feedback here, however.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 06:33:54 AM »
Side note:  TC, the Microsoft tracking system was implemented in Windows 7.  Microsoft knows about every ICON you click on, every application you install and remove, and every site you visit on the Internet.  Windows 8 takes it to the next level giving Microsoft actual control to be able to override you on your computer, should they chose to do so.

They will be able to inhibit apps, remove them, install them, view your desktop remotely while you are using it and a few other things I have not figured out yet.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 06:37:57 AM »
Why would MS want to fiddle with my PC?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 06:44:31 AM »
Before anyone gets all indignant about MS having direct control over your computer, as well as being able to collect any information they want from it, you agreed to it via the MS licensing agreement.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 07:11:34 AM »
Before anyone gets all indignant about MS having direct control over your computer, as well as being able to collect any information they want from it, you agreed to it via the MS licensing agreement.

yep that, and didn't we individually allow this by way of installing / using the .Net framework?  I mean wasn't we forwarned of them being able to flip on the switch when ever they felt the desire to?

( or is this something totally new(er)  than the .net framework stuff? )

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 08:47:29 AM »
As long as you stay offline MS can't do diddly doo  :P

I guess it's time to implement hardware firewall with block first, ask questions later policy. Only port 80 and game ports open. Internet banking etc. is best done on osx/linux anyway.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:49:16 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 09:04:52 AM »
As long as you stay offline MS can't do diddly doo  :P

I guess it's time to implement hardware firewall with block first, ask questions later policy. Only port 80 and game ports open. Internet banking etc. is best done on osx/linux anyway.

Uh, you do realize that most of the data they collect is via the updates?  MS stores most information and then sends it when you do an update to the OS.  They make people feel warm and fuzzy by declaring no personal information is sent to MS, but then you need to look up what MS defines as "personal information".  Bank numbers, routing numbers, credit/debit card numbers, are personal.  Anything related to the operation of the computer is up for grabs, including but not limited to anything you do with the computer outside or purchasing things over the Internet.

Now, as to how they will or could control your computer, it could be a simple matter of messages passed during updates.  They could be scheduled, or real time.  I'll know more when I take a look further into Windows 8.  Windows 7 just gathers data.  Windows 8 adds remote control for MS to use.

They are just taking a clue from Google and Apple in how they can do the same things with the smart phones.  Or did you not know every text message anyone sends is recorded, and that they gather GPS data from the phone?  They also push apps to the phone without you knowing about it.  They can do anything they want with those phones.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:07:33 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 09:15:41 AM »
you agreed to it via the MS licensing agreement.
You mean the "By unwrapping this package you agree to the agreement which is inside the package" and which is not identical with the one for the same product found in the Internet or elsewhere outside the package?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »
Uh, you do realize that most of the data they collect is via the updates?

Yes I do understand that. But since I use windows only for playing games I can pretty much lock it up, updates included.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 12:35:23 PM »
Yes I do understand that. But since I use windows only for playing games I can pretty much lock it up, updates included.

You can do what I do.  Manually download the updates from another computer.  Copy them to DVD/CD, then install them on your computer.  At the same time I update my build with the new patches.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese