Author Topic: Trouble updating BIOS  (Read 533 times)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Trouble updating BIOS
« on: December 16, 2011, 05:26:39 PM »
I just got a new CPU, but need to update my BIOS before I can install it. I am having trouble updating my Motherboard BIOS. I have an Asus P5N-E SLI. I went to the asus website and found the driver I need to download, however when I downloaded it, it was a binary file. I am not sure what to do with the binary file, as I was expecting a .exe file. I need help installing the right driver, I called the asus motherboard support line, and the person in customer support knew less than I did...

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Trouble updating BIOS
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:12:03 PM »
try posting for bios help here

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5N-E+SLI&SLanguage=en-us

good luck

semp

edit: does your mobo have a bios update utility?
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 08:04:55 PM »
I just got a new CPU, but need to update my BIOS before I can install it. I am having trouble updating my Motherboard BIOS. I have an Asus P5N-E SLI. I went to the asus website and found the driver I need to download, however when I downloaded it, it was a binary file. I am not sure what to do with the binary file, as I was expecting a .exe file. I need help installing the right driver, I called the asus motherboard support line, and the person in customer support knew less than I did...

Usually there are 3 ways to update the bios:

1) Old way, save files to a disk and run biosupdater with args in dos
2) Download and run windows based bios updater and bios image from manufacturers site
3) Use built in bios updating tool from within motherboard bios

Without looking deeper into your mobo I can't say which one of those you should use. Read instructions from the website where you downloaded the bios.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 08:14:21 PM »
updating BIOS is touchy don't do it unless you are 100% positive in how to do it.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 10:42:05 PM »
Most bios files are a binary file.  To use it you either need a bios that supports windows upadating.. or you need to download the dos utility and boot with a dos boot disk (floppy or cd) and run the installer from there

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 10:55:33 PM »
Raptor,

You need two files - the BIOS file and the tool to flash it onto the MB.

They're both found here:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5NE_SLI/#download

Download the latest BIOS, and then download the latest AWDFLASH.  You'll need to boot to DOS to run the awdflash.exe file and update the BIOS.  Either boot to a floppy, a USB drive, or if you can't, try F8/Command prompt and run the file.  I'm not sure if the F8/Command prompt option works with your MB.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 12:08:21 AM »
be aware if it fails dont turn your computer off.  you must keep trying or perhaps you will need to upgrade again.  also some mobo's have a dual bios where if the main one fails then the back up starts :).  good luck i messed up mine a couple of days ago but was able to restore it by pure luck.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »
Raptor,

You need two files - the BIOS file and the tool to flash it onto the MB.

They're both found here:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5NE_SLI/#download

Download the latest BIOS, and then download the latest AWDFLASH.  You'll need to boot to DOS to run the awdflash.exe file and update the BIOS.  Either boot to a floppy, a USB drive, or if you can't, try F8/Command prompt and run the file.  I'm not sure if the F8/Command prompt option works with your MB.

I had already tried this. I have windows 7 64 bit, used the 64 bit download and I get an error that says i need to check my version of windows (32 bit or 64 bit). I definitely have 64 bit, tried the 32 to see if it would work, same error.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 11:56:16 AM »
I had already tried this. I have windows 7 64 bit, used the 64 bit download and I get an error that says i need to check my version of windows (32 bit or 64 bit). I definitely have 64 bit, tried the 32 to see if it would work, same error.

Are you trying to launch it within Windows?  That's the error you'll receive.

Have you tried booting straight to DOS yet?
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 01:05:46 PM »
So I need to put the two files (AWDFLASH and 1406) on a cd and boot from disk?

Also, my current BIOS version is 1304, and the website said I do not need to FLASH the mobo unless it was below 1101

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »
So I need to put the two files (AWDFLASH and 1406) on a cd and boot from disk?

Also, my current BIOS version is 1304, and the website said I do not need to FLASH the mobo unless it was below 1101

Well, you'll need to boot to a command prompt, the run the AWDFLASH file.  Before floppies started going away, the procedure would be to create a bootable floppy with DOS on it, then run the program from there.  It sounds like you'll now need to try the F8/Command Prompt option when booting to Windows.

You can put the files on the C: drive, and once you hit F8 and pick the Command Prompt, they'll be accessible.

If the website says you're okay with 1304, then try the new CPU and make sure it works.  They list the fixes and improvements in each BIOS release, so you might not need to do anything at all.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 02:19:44 AM »
You have to burn an ISO image of the BIOS then boot from the floppy, disc or flash drive you put it on.  Once started DO NOT turn off your computer for any reason.  Aso make sure there's no storms that could knock out power.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.