Author Topic: Chevy finally stepping up to the plate  (Read 2977 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Chevy finally stepping up to the plate
« on: December 17, 2011, 06:16:06 PM »

sort of.

they're ressurecting the COPO name. they're finally going to try to match the cobrajets, and mopars drag packs.

funny thing is that mopar's using the v-10 viper engine, and chevy's using either a 427....which is funny after their ceo? i think it was claimed that "the there's no replacement for displacement days are over", that they'd use such a large engine......or they're using a supercharged 327. alll these cubic inches chasing after supercharged 5.4 and 5.0 liters.

either way, it's good to see these horsepower wars going on. i kinda hate to say it, but the camaro looks kinda silly with that cowl induction hood.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/16/chevy-releases-copo-camaro-concept-drag-racing-featurette/#continued
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
Re: Chevy finally stepping up to the plate
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 08:06:24 PM »

either way, it's good to see these horsepower wars going on.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/16/chevy-releases-copo-camaro-concept-drag-racing-featurette/#continued

I never thought we would see factory HP wars again.

If you can afford it this is a great time to be an auto enthusiast.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
I agree .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 09:23:40 PM »
It sure looks more serious than some of the other camaros.

I'm just hoping they can come up with a more modern (ie. lighter) RWD chassis by the time I need to replace my G8.  The biggest problem with the G8 and Camaro are that they're pretty dang heavy.  They handle great and are built to take huge power, but they just weigh too dang much.

I want chebby to release a 4-door rwd sedan with the camaro motors, maybe even one with the collapsable lifters the G8 GT has, but tuned properly this time.  Of course, the GM CEO said "why would I do that, since I have all these really nice FWD sedans already?", so that loser just doesn't get it.  They have a line of crappy sedans and coupes that are FWD and can't hold a candle to the latest hondas, toyotas, hyundais, mazda, etc.  They need to take the idea behind the G8, style it for chebby buyers, and REALLY update it this time with gps navigation, bluetooth in all models, etc.

As it is, I just don't see myself replacing my G8 with anything American.  The taurus SHO is awesome but it also costs as much as 5 series BMW, a nice Acura, infiniti, or Lexus.  Even the nissan maxima comes with what is essentially the 350Z motor (a modern 290 hp 3.5L V6) and performance chassis tuning that is head and shoulders above anything that GM makes.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:24:02 PM »

I never thought we would see factory HP wars again.

If you can afford it this is a great time to be an auto enthusiast.

yep. that was my point. now all of the "big three" will have "factory" hot rods to run, even if one of em isn't american. :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 10:03:50 PM »

I'm just hoping they can come up with a more modern (ie. lighter) RWD chassis by the time I need to replace my G8.  The biggest problem with the G8 and Camaro are that they're pretty dang heavy.  They handle great and are built to take huge power, but they just weigh too dang much.

I want chebby to release a 4-door rwd sedan with the camaro motors, maybe even one with the collapsable lifters the G8 GT has, but tuned properly this time.  Of course, the GM CEO said "why would I do that, since I have all these really nice FWD sedans already?", so that loser just doesn't get it.  They have a line of crappy sedans and coupes that are FWD and can't hold a candle to the latest hondas, toyotas, hyundais, mazda, etc.  They need to take the idea behind the G8, style it for chebby buyers, and REALLY update it this time with gps navigation, bluetooth in all models, etc.

As it is, I just don't see myself replacing my G8 with anything American.  The taurus SHO is awesome but it also costs as much as 5 series BMW, a nice Acura, infiniti, or Lexus.  Even the nissan maxima comes with what is essentially the 350Z motor (a modern 290 hp 3.5L V6) and performance chassis tuning that is head and shoulders above anything that GM makes.

i actually liked the last incarnation of the rear wheel drive caprice. it was reasonably fast for a big fat heavy car, and handled pretty nicely. i also liked the crown vics, and the mercury marauders.  again, big and fat, but good handling, and much more than reasonably quick, in the case of the marauder.

considering that the current sports cars are nearly the same size, it should in theory be somewhat easy for them to make a nice 4 door sedan.

there's some funny stuff coming from Al Oppenheiser too.

such as:
The Mustang has been playing catch up since the moment the fifth-gen Camaro arrived in 2009.

now that there is just plain funny.

or this:
It is no coincidence that Mustang has introduced three 100-horsepower increases to keep pace with Camaro: First their V-6 was bumped to 305; then their V-8 went to 412, and now the GT500.

this is somewhat bass ackwards. more like since the camaro played catchup, ford's just putting themselves out front again.

or this:
The days of “no replacement for displacement,” are over, and it’s not enough to be fast in a straight line

that one made me  :rofl :rofl :rofl. that statement came from a guy that's pumping a car that's getting spanked all over the road courses by cars with much smaller engines.....so, apparently they believe that they need bigger displacement.  :rofl

and this one also made me  :rofl :rofl :rofl
For Mustang fans, you’re welcome. Clearly the Camaro has encouraged Ford to throw everything they can at us.

so they took an australian car, took technology from the corvette, and from the cadillac cts-v, re-did the engine, etc....basically threw everything they had at ford, and then tried to tell mustang fans that we should thank chevy?  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH   :rofl :rofl :rofl
 this guy is actually deluded enough that he should run for the oval office.  :rofl :noid :rofl :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 10:15:30 PM »
Australian truck, Cap. Truck. :)

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 07:35:41 PM »

I'm just hoping they can come up with a more modern (ie. lighter) RWD chassis by the time I need to replace my G8.  The biggest problem with the G8 and Camaro are that they're pretty dang heavy.  They handle great and are built to take huge power, but they just weigh too dang much.

I want chebby to release a 4-door rwd sedan with the camaro motors, maybe even one with the collapsable lifters the G8 GT has, but tuned properly this time.  Of course, the GM CEO said "why would I do that, since I have all these really nice FWD sedans already?", so that loser just doesn't get it.  They have a line of crappy sedans and coupes that are FWD and can't hold a candle to the latest hondas, toyotas, hyundais, mazda, etc.  They need to take the idea behind the G8, style it for chebby buyers, and REALLY update it this time with gps navigation, bluetooth in all models, etc.

As it is, I just don't see myself replacing my G8 with anything American.  The taurus SHO is awesome but it also costs as much as 5 series BMW, a nice Acura, infiniti, or Lexus.  Even the nissan maxima comes with what is essentially the 350Z motor (a modern 290 hp 3.5L V6) and performance chassis tuning that is head and shoulders above anything that GM makes.

Just wait till you see the new Impala.  I'm hearing rumors of an SS model that sounds just like what you're looking for.  Caddy chassis, possibly CTS-V clone in the SS trim...  Gotta wait and see, but it'd be pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 07:38:06 PM by AAJagerX »
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »
Just wait till you see the new Impala.  I'm hearing rumors of an SS model that sounds just like what you're looking for.  Caddy chassis, possibly CTS-V clone in the SS trim...  Gotta wait and see, but it'd be pretty awesome.

I'll believe it when I see it :)  Still, I'm pretty happy with my G8 and the stupidly low price I paid for it pretty much means I'd be an idiot to try to replace it anytime soon.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 02:27:49 PM »
I'll believe it when I see it :)  Still, I'm pretty happy with my G8 and the stupidly low price I paid for it pretty much means I'd be an idiot to try to replace it anytime soon.

there's no reason ever to get rid of something you're happy with.....unless something shinier catches yer eye.  :D

if chevy does the impala thing, i don't think it'll be a cts-v clone.....that'd make it too expensive. they'd need to keep it in the ballpark of the camaros and mustangs.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 02:37:42 PM »
Yay. Another poor handling cheap plastic car that the Asian and Eurpoean makers will trounce with half the engine and twice the build quality.

Bob

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 03:24:09 PM »
Yay. Another poor handling cheap plastic car that the Asian and Eurpoean makers will trounce with half the engine and twice the build quality.

Bob

pay attention son.  it's a dragster. it's not a street car. show me a 8 or 9 second euroturd.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 03:51:32 PM »
pay attention son.  it's a dragster. it's not a street car. show me a 8 or 9 second euroturd.
"
My bad. Can't tell much on work computer, pics and such don't show. But we do excel in building an expensive straight line car for sure. Though there are countless choices to give you the 8 or 9 second quarter, but I can't find the price to do a reasonable turd to turd comparo.   :D
My initial reaction was the thoughts of these attempts in the '80's with camaro and mustang duking it out for the quarter mile street car power and some VW dfolks thoiught making the GTI quicker than them all was a fun thing.
I truly love racing that happens on a road course. The rest is just entertainment.
Bob
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:58:04 PM by jeep00 »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 04:14:09 PM »

Bob

hehe you don't get out much do you. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »
"
My bad. Can't tell much on work computer, pics and such don't show. But we do excel in building an expensive straight line car for sure. Though there are countless choices to give you the 8 or 9 second quarter, but I can't find the price to do a reasonable turd to turd comparo.   :D
My initial reaction was the thoughts of these attempts in the '80's with camaro and mustang duking it out for the quarter mile street car power and some VW dfolks thoiught making the GTI quicker than them all was a fun thing.
I truly love racing that happens on a road course. The rest is just entertainment.
Bob

that's been going on a lot longer than the 80's. as for the mustang/camaro, it started in the 60's. mustang in 64 1/2. camaro came out in 67, and has been chasing after its big brother(the mustang) ever since.
 for street 1/4 mile, the mustang is quicker, but not by much. if you pulled 2 guys from the street,  and put one in each car, the better driver's gonna come out out front regardless of which car he's in. now, put professional drivers in em, and the mustang will be out front every time.

this COPO camaro is in answer to the cobrajet mustang. depending on which supercharger you opt for, the cobrajet runs from $80k to $90k. it only comes with a racing automatic, and regardless of supercharger, it uses a 5.4 liter. those will run anywhere from 9.90's down to mid 8 second 1/4 mile times.  for 2013 ford's building a 5 liter cobrajet, but i've not seen prices or times on that one yet.
 the link i had put up doesn't make it clear if the copo camaro is built inhouse or not.....if judged by their continental tire challenge cars, i'd say it's not. the cobrajet(with exception of the rollcage) is built entirely at fords plant. by hand. they also kept mum on the times that this camaro can run. it's gotta be at least close to the fords. the big difference, is that what ford does with a 5.4 liter, they're using a 7 liter for. i think it's a 7 liter anyway? 427 ci. kinda funny coming from a company that tried to say that there is replacement for displacement, huh?

for the street version of the mustangs........dollar for dollar, buying a brand new car, you cannot match them in any way shape or form. they are(right now anyway) the best "bang for the buck" on the street. they compete with cars that they shouldn't be able to touch. but then again....they ARE fords after all.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"