Author Topic: Best video game kill Ever: The Final Story  (Read 1326 times)

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
Best video game kill Ever: The Final Story
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:04:54 AM »
http://youtu.be/B_LplAoJwdY

long version of the epic kill

The force is strong with this one, and quite fun to watch.  

The interesting part is how he dies. in true video game style, the exposion of his opponents auger ended the fighterpilots epic run.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:11:31 AM by NatCigg »

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
Re: Best video game kill Ever: The Final Story
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »
Why can't Aces High look that good?
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:51:49 AM »
Why can't Aces High look that good?
Because many could not run it then.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 10:07:04 AM »
Scalable graphics options? My computer is from 2006 and I can still run most new games on high or ultra settings. Aces High does look quite outdated and I can only think they're losing new customers because of it. Perhaps they should allocate resources to updating their gfx engine instead of just adding new content (if they aren't doing so already).

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:20:46 AM »
Scalable graphics options? My computer is from 2006 and I can still run most new games on high or ultra settings. Aces High does look quite outdated and I can only think they're losing new customers because of it. Perhaps they should allocate resources to updating their gfx engine instead of just adding new content (if they aren't doing so already).

Take a 5 year old computer, with a built-in Intel video chip, and run todays high end graphic games on anything other than the lowest possible setting.  Not going to happen.

The Intel video chip has 68% of the computer market.

If you look into the beta we have out now, it is a graphics improvement which will still run on that 5 year old Intel video chip.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:37:52 AM »
That's cool, but the one-third of the computer market that has performance to spare... Why not give us say dx 10/11 support or post processing injection? Won't affect those who can't use it and won't require any increase in fidelity of the in-game content, but will still make things prettier by allowing better effect shaders.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 10:58:20 AM »
That's cool, but the one-third of the computer market that has performance to spare... Why not give us say dx 10/11 support or post processing injection? Won't affect those who can't use it and won't require any increase in fidelity of the in-game content, but will still make things prettier by allowing better effect shaders.

1/3 of the computer market is not enough to sustain Aces High.

So you want to get rid of Windows XP support?  That would pretty much kill Aces High as Windows XP still has the largest market share of Windows operating systems.

Getting rid of Intel support and Windows XP support would leave about 10% of the computer market available.  That would end Aces High.

Our graphics engine is actually very sophisticated.  Look at our current beta plane models and then consider we are doing all that with a game that still fits on a single CD.  Yes, the size of the download does matter, for several reasons.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 11:09:05 AM »
1/3 of the computer market is not enough to sustain Aces High.

So you want to get rid of Windows XP support?  That would pretty much kill Aces High as Windows XP still has the largest market share of Windows operating systems.

Getting rid of Intel support and Windows XP support would leave about 10% of the computer market available.  That would end Aces High.

Our graphics engine is actually very sophisticated.  Look at our current beta plane models and then consider we are doing all that with a game that still fits on a single CD.  Yes, the size of the download does matter, for several reasons.
I'm not sure how this would end XP support. 100% of the other games I play - all with high-end graphics - offer options for DX's 9,10 and 11.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »
I'm not sure how this would end XP support. 100% of the other games I play - all with high-end graphics - offer options for DX's 9,10 and 11.

Costs/risks versus gains.  Yes, you can do it, but you have to build support for each version (actually 10 and 11 share the same pipeline structure, but 9 is different).  Now you have multiple paths to support in the game.  The benefit is negligible compared to the risks.

DX9 works across all Windows platforms, with minimal risks.

I am not going to get into the business aspects of all this, even though it is a big portion of what we do and why we do it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:26:08 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 11:29:32 AM »
Adding dx 10 or 11 support does not remove dx 9 support. Most new games can still be run on dx 9 and on XP. Nor does adding dx 9 post processing injection prevent XP users from playing the game.

Another game discussed here recently, Skyrim, can be run on a 32-bit XP rig with only dx9 support and still looks fantastic. There is no reason why adding support for more advanced shaders should prevent players with low-end rigs to play without them, but hey... It's your product.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 11:30:21 AM »
Tinman beat me to it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 11:37:30 AM »
You are not seriously comparing a closed environment game to an open environment game?

There are so many things wrong with the idea of comparing those I cannot find a basis to have a discussion.

Just FYI, a 5 year old Intel video chip has zero support for shaders of any kind.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 11:39:26 AM »
lets see, based on that clip, 50foot takeoff distance, unlimited ammo, 50G turns, 500knt landings? yeah im impressed. oh yeah its battlefield 3 and it ran once on my machine and now wont run at all.

I7-266
6gigs of ram
1 terabyte raid
4980 radeon card

ill stick with aces high

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 12:11:35 PM »
You are not seriously comparing a closed environment game to an open environment game?

There are so many things wrong with the idea of comparing those I cannot find a basis to have a discussion.

Just FYI, a 5 year old Intel video chip has zero support for shaders of any kind.

Skyrim has a 16 square mile open environment, but that's not important. What's important is that it has a good multi-source lighting system, speculars, reflections, volumetrics (smoke, fog, clouds), good looking soft shadows, all in dx9.

That five year old Intel video chip would still run the game as it is now without the more advanced shaders.

Il-2 Sturmovik was launched ten years ago on November 18, 2001 and back then it looked like this:

It ran on a Pentium III with a minimum of 256MB system ram and 32MB video ram with dx8 support. Notice the nice diffused specular highlights on the cowling and the leading edge of the left wing, the beautiful volumetric clouds and sense of depth in the scene.

Aces high has better models (the updated ones), but everything else looks like I'm back on a windows 98 box in the late '90s.

I'll stop now before I aggravate anyone, but consider this a request. Please!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 12:31:25 PM »
lets see, based on that clip, 50foot takeoff distance, unlimited ammo, 50G turns, 500knt landings? yeah im impressed. oh yeah its battlefield 3 and it ran once on my machine and now wont run at all.

I7-266
6gigs of ram
1 terabyte raid
4980 radeon card

ill stick with aces high

The issue is not AH. The issue is some folks do not care about anything else but pretty. For them there are the "Pretty" games.

Aces high is coming along nicely IMHO. Cooking up a great game with a mix of ingredients instead of just throwing icing over the whole thing.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)