Author Topic: Heads up anyone using AMD bulldozer cpus  (Read 1216 times)

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
Re: Heads up anyone using AMD bulldozer cpus
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 01:36:09 PM »
Yes I do understand that. But since I use windows only for playing games I can pretty much lock it up, updates included.

:headscratch: If you use it only for games, what are you afraid of then?  :headscratch:  :D

You guys are sometimes so paranoid.  :D :noid
I am a spy!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »
:headscratch: If you use it only for games, what are you afraid of then?  :headscratch:  :D

You guys are sometimes so paranoid.  :D :noid

Nothing to do with being paranoid.  I have no desire to allow some MS employee access to my computer.

The fact they are doing what they are doing is basis for reacting in a couple of different ways.  You can ignore it or you can fight it.  Simple really. 

I do not advocate doing anything at all, but you cannot make an informed decision without being informed first.  Those who chose to remain in ignorant bliss are free to do so.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 10:43:59 PM »
Those who chose to remain in ignorant bliss are free to do so.

I can picture Roy right now taking a bite of a steak in the Matrix...  :lol

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2011, 12:33:38 AM »

They are just taking a clue from Google and Apple in how they can do the same things with the smart phones.  Or did you not know every text message anyone sends is recorded, and that they gather GPS data from the phone?  They also push apps to the phone without you knowing about it.  They can do anything they want with those phones.

I was cleaning up my gaming rig about a month ago. I had gotten rid of everything except the Google Toolbar and the game was running just fine. However, when I went on the internet an otherwise very fast system went to a crawl. My theory is that the Google Toolbar was extracting a ton of information in the background. Shortly after that I deleted the toolbar. Google wanted to know why. I told them it was too intrusive or something to that effect. Afterwards I never had another problem with gaming performance.

It really scares me that MS is now able to take control over your computer. If MS can do this and has it setup to do so who else can get that authority and for what purpose?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2011, 02:11:39 AM »
You can do what I do.  Manually download the updates from another computer.  Copy them to DVD/CD, then install them on your computer.  At the same time I update my build with the new patches.

Or you could use WSUS

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 04:17:19 AM »

It really scares me that MS is now able to take control over your computer. If MS can do this and has it setup to do so who else can get that authority and for what purpose?

Linux and OSX are catching up fast. MS is digging its own grave, opening a huge market for alternative OSes basically.

Linux is getting better and better at running windows games and soon there will be a day that we can switch without losing too much in the process. Sure Dx11 or Dx12 won't work for a while but at least MS can't remote control your life.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 10:52:06 AM »
Skuzzy, keep us posted on the Bulldozer trials.

Thanks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »
I'm not really that concerned with MS knowing where I've been (boring) but it seems this would be both a blessing and a curse for homeland security.  I wonder where they figure into this?  Somewhere directly in the middle I'd guess.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 02:46:48 PM »
I almost asked, whose homeland are you talking about, but then i got on second thoughts.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 04:22:26 AM »
from anandtech

Update: VR-Zone reports (and we can confirm) that the download link for the hotfix is no longer functional. There were apparently unexpected performance drops in some cases after applying the hotfix and Microsoft is investigating the issues. Modifying the scheduler in Windows is not something to be done lightly, as it changes a core element of the OS, so more testing and validation for such updates is always a good idea.

Update 2: Apparently there is a second part to the hotfix that was not pushed live, and this hotfix was pushed live prematurely.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »
Microsoft withdraws Bulldozer patch:

http://fudzilla.com/processors/item/25262-microsoft-withdraws-bulldozer-patch

Basically they jumped the gun, it was useless without the other half. Revoked it right away.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 04:11:29 PM »
Saw that.  I am on hold again.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com