Author Topic: 27 inch monitor  (Read 592 times)

Offline YamaRaja

• Copper Member
      • Elite Squad
27 inch monitor
« on: December 20, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a 27 inch monitor under say $500 or not much over. Having no ghosting or tearing in AH is my biggest goal.
Color second.
I have ATI 6950's in crossfire so plenty of power.
I7 @ 4.7 etc
Never leave a wingman behind

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: 27 inch monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 06:58:17 PM »
I can recommend the 27" ViewSonic I'm using. It's LED backlit which overcame my biggest grip about ViewSonic, their dim screens, and I noticed an unexpected drop in my electric bill for last month. If it wasn't a fluke, I'm very impressed indeed. The Newegg spec says it's a 1ms Response Time but frankly I find that difficult to believe. I bought mine on Amazon and used the tax savings to pay for 2 day shipping.

Model ViewSonic VX2753mh-LED Black 27"

You will need to use the built-in On Screen Display menus to obtain crisp text and a couple of other things. Then in CCC, you set it to display on the whole screen instead of leaving a border around the edges. I keep meaning to try doing that with the OSD instead but...
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
I can recommend 2 different ones:

first, the HannsG 27.5"  widescreen 16:10 ratio  1920 x 1200

newegg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254052&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-24-254-052-_-Product

is on sale right now for $249.99 using the promo code & free shipping  ( I paid like $320 for mine )   works very well with Aces high and other online games, etc.......

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and my other one is an ASUS VE278Q 27" Widescreen 16:9  ration  1920 x 1080

newegg link:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103

cost $329.99 + $8.99 shipping

the HannsG  has a heck of a lot more screen viewing area,  it has like 2 3/4 inches more heigth over  my ASUS monitor and is just a smidge longer in width ( like 3/8's of an inch or so )

both are excellent .......... my personal opinion, have not experienced any problems at all .......

happy shopping for ya new monitor!

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline YamaRaja

• Copper Member
      • Elite Squad
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 08:14:47 PM »
I bought the Hann-G 27 inch 3 weeks ago.
I am have issues with ghosting on tags, wing edges and the moon. Bleeding or ghosting or what ever it is called. It's like smearing on the moon.  Purple edges bleeding off the tags when turning or rocking the stick back and forth, rolling while watching the tag. Makes it very distracting when trying to line up a shot. Bad monitor? I've tried every setting I could find posted anywhere.
The Viewsonic I'm replacing performs flawlessly
I should also say I've tried DVI and HDMI.

I paid $229 shipped from Newegg for it. A smoking deal for it if it worked right.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:38:04 PM by YamaRaja »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 10:19:26 PM »
I bought the Hann-G 27 inch 3 weeks ago.
I am have issues with ghosting on tags, wing edges and the moon. Bleeding or ghosting or what ever it is called. It's like smearing on the moon.  Purple edges bleeding off the tags when turning or rocking the stick back and forth, rolling while watching the tag. Makes it very distracting when trying to line up a shot. Bad monitor? I've tried every setting I could find posted anywhere.
The Viewsonic I'm replacing performs flawlessly
I should also say I've tried DVI and HDMI.

I paid $229 shipped from Newegg for it. A smoking deal for it if it worked right.

if it is the Monitor causing all those problems, I would definitely return it or ask for an exchange. I have not experienced not any issues at all......... no matter if I am using the HDMI or if I use the DVI

But, could it possibly be your video card or video card drivers?  do you have your videocard overclocked or any part of your PC overclocked? or do you possibly have heat build up issues on your videocard?

can you try your monitor on another computer?   Are you only experiencing video glitches during Aces high game play, only?

---------------------------: EDIT :--------------------------------------

I just noticed you are using an i7 and (2) ATI HD6950's crossfired ..... have you tried it with just one 6950 videocard to see if you have these issues?  also  is your i7 cpu the one with the built in gpu?  if so, do you have it disabled or have it set to not be used?

which video driver version are you using?  over on the 3dguru forums they have been talking of the 11.11 & 11.12 versions having problems, and they have some betas of the 11.12 out and are hoping to have the problems resolved in the Cat 12.0 version....

I have stuck with using the Cat 11.8  for my HD6870 and using the Cat 11.10 version for my 6950 ....... I find these to offer the best performance.......   YMMV - though

just trying to help you figure out if its actually the Monitor or if it might be another reason altogether causing these issues.....

hope this helps

TC
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:26:58 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 03:57:34 PM »
Samsung 27" monitors are good enough. I have a P2770FH that is pretty good. I picked it up on sale last Christmas at Costco and they have a newer version that I am probably going to get this time around as well just to put for my "work" monitor since the Dell monitor that I got with my stuff last year when I bought it from my old company is shot.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline YamaRaja

• Copper Member
      • Elite Squad
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 09:37:30 AM »
if it is the Monitor causing all those problems, I would definitely return it or ask for an exchange. I have not experienced not any issues at all......... no matter if I am using the HDMI or if I use the DVI

But, could it possibly be your video card or video card drivers?  do you have your videocard overclocked or any part of your PC overclocked? or do you possibly have heat build up issues on your videocard?

can you try your monitor on another computer?   Are you only experiencing video glitches during Aces high game play, only?

---------------------------: EDIT :--------------------------------------

I just noticed you are using an i7 and (2) ATI HD6950's crossfired ..... have you tried it with just one 6950 videocard to see if you have these issues?  also  is your i7 cpu the one with the built in gpu?  if so, do you have it disabled or have it set to not be used?

which video driver version are you using?  over on the 3dguru forums they have been talking of the 11.11 & 11.12 versions having problems, and they have some betas of the 11.12 out and are hoping to have the problems resolved in the Cat 12.0 version....

I have stuck with using the Cat 11.8  for my HD6870 and using the Cat 11.10 version for my 6950 ....... I find these to offer the best performance.......   YMMV - though

just trying to help you figure out if its actually the Monitor or if it might be another reason altogether causing these issues.....

hope this helps

TC

I7 2600K clocked @ 4.7
Tried with xfire disabled
Tried Cat 11.8 thru 11.12 with no difference

Im stumped as to what it is. Skuzzy said it could be monitor timings, so i'll just rerplace it and see. 4 other monitors cant be wrong lol.

Think i'm going to RMA and go with the Samsung S27A350H Costco has for $279 right now.

My system:
Intel i7 SandyBridge 2600K 3.4 @ 4.7
Asus P8P67 Deluxe v.3 1702 bios
ThermalRight Silver Arrow Cooler
Corsair Vengence 8gb 1600 8-8-8-24-1
OCZ Vertex 3 Sata III SSD 120GB x2 Raid0
1.5 TB WD Cavair Black x2 Raid1
640GB WD Cavair x2 Raid1
2x Sapphire HD6950 2gb Crossfire
HD6970 Bios Mod - Catalyst 11.10
E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor 1616m
LG Blu-ray Burner WH10LS30
LG Blu-ray Reader UH10LS20
Corsair AX1200 PSU
Antec SX830 Modded 3 140mm fans
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Viewsonic VX2255wmb x2

Offline YamaRaja

• Copper Member
      • Elite Squad
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 10:59:07 AM »
I found a monitor that just kicks a** in AH.
The game is flat incredible on it. I can finally hit something.
A Samsung S27A750D 120hz, 27inch, 3D if you want, 2ms response.  
Works best with ATI 5000 series and later cards, 120hz only works with displayport connection.
Once you see a 120hz display its hard to go back.
$399 on sale at Tigerdirect when in stock, $499 newegg, $549 everyplace else.

120 frames per second everywhere in game.

Yama
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:00:43 AM by YamaRaja »