Author Topic: Alrighty smart guys  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Alrighty smart guys
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2011, 07:44:29 PM »
math is a religion created by man to block in your mind and not allow it to expand to new idea's

See Rule #4

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2011, 08:04:21 PM »
I read that article,  I would like to read the books they talk about....

I can see where you and they are coming from...like trying to imagine the number "2.2 million light years" (i believe that's the closest galaxy to us..Andromeda) or even what traveling at the speed of light for a year is.

my point is that it is a real number,  with a math equation it will always comes out to the same sum....

with imagination the end results (the sum) is never the same.

take two people and give them a math problem, as long as they do the math correct you will always get the same answer.

ask the same two people or a hundred people...ask them to make up a story about a boy and his dog......every story will have a different ending hell the whole story will most likely differ

this is why I say there is no imagination in math.

a great book to read is called "Drawing from the right side of your brain"   great book for those who want to draw but cannot....chances are they had the side of the brain for imagination suppressed.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=drawing+from+the+right+side+of+your+brain&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13986703260795851202&sa=X&ei=sSb5TumoM8n10gGW0uWiAg&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAw

(Image removed from quote.)

:rofl

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2011, 08:06:59 PM »
I read that article,  I would like to read the books they talk about....

I can see where you and they are coming from...like trying to imagine the number "2.2 million light years" (i believe that's the closest galaxy to us..Andromeda) or even what traveling at the speed of light for a year is.

my point is that it is a real number,  with a math equation it will always comes out to the same sum....

with imagination the end results (the sum) is never the same.

take two people and give them a math problem, as long as they do the math correct you will always get the same answer.

ask the same two people or a hundred people...ask them to make up a story about a boy and his dog......every story will have a different ending hell the whole story will most likely differ

this is why I say there is no imagination in math.

a great book to read is called "Drawing from the right side of your brain"   great book for those who want to draw but cannot....chances are they had the side of the brain for imagination suppressed.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=drawing+from+the+right+side+of+your+brain&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13986703260795851202&sa=X&ei=sSb5TumoM8n10gGW0uWiAg&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAw

Yes, if you give them a math problem out of a standard textbook maybe.

Give two people something to prove that isn't trivial, you will get plenty of variation :)

There is even variation in solving those standard problems some times, there were a few nice questions in AP calc back in high school where you could go about it slightly different ways.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2011, 09:18:51 PM »
P-Please
E-Excuse
M-My
D-Dear
A-Aunt
S-Sally

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2011, 07:04:51 AM »
a great book to read is called "Drawing from the right side of your brain"   great book for those who want to draw but cannot....chances are they had the side of the brain for imagination suppressed.

I'll have to look into that book..
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »
I think alot of people confuse arithmetic with maths.

you dont have to get very deep into maths before creativity and imagination become very important. eg. calculus is pretty procedural until you get to evaluating integrals, then you find out whether you're a mathmetician or not  :uhoh
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2011, 03:30:56 PM »
btw Google displays the precedence for you if you need to check it ;)

Google "6 / 2 (1+2 )"
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2011, 04:32:14 PM »
math......hate the stuff

math is a religion created by man to block in your mind and not allow it to expand to new idea's

like when you go to school and sit in rows......when you line up 2by2....ect ect

everything is about numbers..... it suppresses the side of your brain that is for imagination and free thought.

my .02$     :noid

:P You used a number lol

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2011, 08:03:45 PM »
I thought excel was invented for math..

Write the formula, check it against known answers with different variables, and viola.. you never have to think about it again. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute