Author Topic: Game Play question.  (Read 7188 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Game Play question.
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:01:11 PM »
For the most part EVERYONE wants to be on the attack. Part of the team to grab that next base. Part of the team to "WIN THE WAR!"

Here's the question, what would it take for you to DEFEND?

As the game is played now defenders are few and far between. Sure sometimes you get a dozen guys to up, but as soon as the numbers get overwhelming like they "sometimes" do  :P most head off looking for something else to do. More often than not it's to join their local "horde" for the next attack on a base that very few will defend against.

So what would it take? We know players JOIN the hordes to be part of the "success" of the mission, the comradary of flying with their squad. So if there was a system message that said "Bishops have successfully defended against a capture attempt at A22", would that get more people to defend? Maybe points/perks for defending?

What would it take for you to defend more? 

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Game Play question.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 06:15:51 PM »
They need to add more ack and make the town buildings stronger so we have a chance to stop the horde.
See Rule #4

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:20:51 PM »
Doesn't truly matter to me because I rarely get to play but when I do I frequently am in this defensive position. Smaller (say 5 member) squads may be an answer, but I really don't care how thwy all want to play it still won't change how I play. Probably not get a lot on this thread, they are hording the collision model one..... :noid

Bob

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 06:24:37 PM »
They need to add more ack and make the town buildings stronger so we have a chance to stop the horde.

The problem with adjusting the difficulty of capture is that the horde will just increase in size. It's already happened.

Something like zone eny or zone perks bonuses need to be looked at. Something that encourages people to equalize population in a sector.
-AoM-

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 06:29:58 PM »
Typically, I will continue to up in defense of a base up until the point that the other side is vulching and I am no longer able to actually get into the fight.  Once the vulching starts, I'll up a wirble if the VH is up  (it rarely is at this point).  Then I'm gone.

Getting vulched isn't fun, and I won't contribute to the playstyle.  Vulchers only exists because there are people who will up repeatedly when there is no real hope of getting into the fight.

Solve that problem and I'd defend until the map room falls.

I am of the opinion that the solution is a total rework of the base/town structure and how captures happen.  Something along the line of a large city/town that is supported regionally by 2 airbases and 2 vehicle bases.  At the city, is a runway and vh for defense (along with auto ack and manned guns).  Make the town fairly difficult to take down.  The support airbases and vehicle bases are close enough to support the city, with fairly short flight times and vehicle spawns into the city.  Attackers would also have GV spawns within a reasonable fighting distance from the city.

when the city is captured, both supporting airfields and vehicle bases change ownership.

So, instead of a single airfield/town setup, a capture is a regional affair involving multiple runways and vehicle bases.  It should be easier to defend then attack. 

Just some rough thoughts.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:41:57 PM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 06:46:47 PM »
As a solo flyer, I defend 99% of the time.  When there are a bunch of late war monsters above me, it is time to adjourn to another field.  Choosing smaller fights is preferable to futile attempts at defending and giving out an easy kill to the mob (one of them is gonna get it). 
Do enjoy manning a field gun and popping vulchers, though.  Enjoy that very much.  :devil

Often spend time in the tower, scanning the radar for a single con approaching an inactive base.  The problem is that lone con coming in is either: high buffs going for the coveted town center, or a suicide porker with no interest in a fight. 
Been doing a lot of upping for nothing lately. 

When they actually do come for a fight, you have to finish them quick or else three friendlies will up to help clear your twelve.  This is after several minutes of dodging BnZ passes until finally gaining the advantage.  The "friendly" La-7/Spit XVI/P-51D makes one pass to reap the glory of your hard fought battle.  :bhead  I still love this game, though and am going to keep playing my way.

Most seem to join the attack and that's OK.  No way to make people play the way you want them to. 
The sooner you realize that, the sooner you can relax and play the game the way you want to.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:47:37 PM »
I have seen lots of good defense in LW lately...  and hordes getting pushed back.  I do think that the new 88's will make base taking a lot harder though.  They are lethal... both to AC and GV attackers.

***G3-MF***

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »
 :noid :noid :noid :noid :noid
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 09:00:18 PM »
For the most part EVERYONE wants to be on the attack. Part of the team to grab that next base. Part of the team to "WIN THE WAR!"

Here's the question, what would it take for you to DEFEND?

As the game is played now defenders are few and far between. Sure sometimes you get a dozen guys to up, but as soon as the numbers get overwhelming like they "sometimes" do  :P most head off looking for something else to do. More often than not it's to join their local "horde" for the next attack on a base that very few will defend against.

So what would it take? We know players JOIN the hordes to be part of the "success" of the mission, the comradary of flying with their squad. So if there was a system message that said "Bishops have successfully defended against a capture attempt at A22", would that get more people to defend? Maybe points/perks for defending?

What would it take for you to defend more? 

Fugitive, I’m not seeing it to the extent that you appear to be (lack of defenders).  I see the hordes roll bases but I also have seen just as many major battles develop with large numbers of players defending and holding.  Mustering there own horde to defend.   

But I do understand what you are trying to accomplish.  Perhaps the system could be change so that bases are linked by proximity of the next closest base.   If I’m at A101 and A102 is under attack I can up from A101 and select a mission type such as Base defense , fly to 102 and get additional perks for kills in proximity to base A102.   Something along those lines. 

I personally gave up watching score or caring about perk points many years ago. But I do understand that it has importance to many players and they enjoy tracking their score/progress.

One thing that AW had was pre canned missions, remember those. You could select one and fly the assigned mission to intercept an AI aircraft.  I enjoyed those.  I also remember as often as not running into real live nme fighters while flying the assigned route of the mission.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline prowl3r

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 09:33:13 PM »
maybe if there was a scoreing catergory in the hangar for defence that added a % to perks and or scoreing that had a limited range say dar circle to help encourage defence of the hordes.

in peace sons bury thier fathers, in war fathers bury thier sons

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 09:39:57 PM »
Fugitive, I’m not seeing it to the extent that you appear to be (lack of defenders).  I see the hordes roll bases but I also have seen just as many major battles develop with large numbers of players defending and holding.  Mustering there own horde to defend.   

But I do understand what you are trying to accomplish.  Perhaps the system could be change so that bases are linked by proximity of the next closest base.   If I’m at A101 and A102 is under attack I can up from A101 and select a mission type such as Base defense , fly to 102 and get additional perks for kills in proximity to base A102.   Something along those lines. 

I personally gave up watching score or caring about perk points many years ago. But I do understand that it has importance to many players and they enjoy tracking their score/progress.

One thing that AW had was pre canned missions, remember those. You could select one and fly the assigned mission to intercept an AI aircraft.  I enjoyed those.  I also remember as often as not running into real live nme fighters while flying the assigned route of the mission.

Traveler, I have an extra question for you  :D

Your in a small squad, but a pretty tight group. I know when I run into you guys fly there is always a few others around. How often do you guys defend? I know fighter sweeps might be a mission you guys would do, as well as trying to grab a base or two, but how often do you just cap a base that looks like it has incoming, or one that had an attack turned back? Just curious.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »
So if there was a system message that said "Bishops have successfully defended against a capture attempt at A22", would that get more people to defend? Maybe points/perks for defending?

I think it has some merit if you can define and the system can recognize a legitimate capture attempt.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 10:14:13 PM »
country A's squad brings 10 people to capture a base.

Country B only ups 3-4 defenders.

Country B's field gets steamrolled.

Country B whines that Country A is nothing but Horders.

..pretty much how i see it anyways.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 10:16:45 PM »
...The ability to get a plane into the air.

Hangers are down.

Actually, lately I like getting up, staying on the deck, and go goon hunting. Also lately I've been hitting trees and such while attempting to do so.

The problem is:
Upping and seeing 20 planes over the town and getting HO'd by the first four you encounter while calling for help on country while you try to get a hit on someone while you are alone.

Or

The hangars are all down.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 10:36:50 PM »
Traveler, I have an extra question for you  :D

Your in a small squad, but a pretty tight group. I know when I run into you guys fly there is always a few others around. How often do you guys defend? I know fighter sweeps might be a mission you guys would do, as well as trying to grab a base or two, but how often do you just cap a base that looks like it has incoming, or one that had an attack turned back? Just curious.

http://youtu.be/1futZ76CAUw

just one of our base defenses .  Because we are a small squad we do find it necessary to rally others to help and they do help, at least for us.  I think most other Knights understand that if the 113th is there, we will do our best to hold.  We might need to fly interdiction flights against their Ammo or VH , but we won’t cut and run. 

Check out our AH Wiki page and you will see the different types of missions that we fly.

The link is in my signature.

On our squad night, we spend about 40% of our time defending.  Perhaps a little less or a little more.

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes