Author Topic: Game Play question.  (Read 7321 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Game Play question.
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2012, 07:22:13 PM »
This is one the things I have been hoping for many years. I have never like the fact that your side can drop 100's of tons of bombs on a base.... but if the base has one fighter hanger up, it has "unlimited" numbers of planes?????

Or... "Joe furballer" and his friends, up Spitfires and flies off to a furball and dies over and over for hours....... but the base never runs off of Spitfires????? Hello? why is that?

The GameMechanics over in WWIIOL works better, Your base has XX number of planes/tanks...... you take off in a plane and get shot down...... that base has one less plane till the factories replace it and that takes time! If you have a good mission and RTB your piece of equipment will immediatly goes back into the supply of equipment for that base. Now if you like bombing...  you can go bomb Production.... the resupply of the bases can be slowed down dramatically by bombing enemy factories. Something useful for buff drivers to do!

This is how I would fix game play in AH.

CAVALRY

'

...and from what I've heard, they don't have that many playing over there any more. Maybe it ISN'T better.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »
My experience with WWIIOL was that it's way easier to get picked on takeoff over there (was taking off over 200 miles from the front too!), their auto/puffy ack is 100x more accurate, and you can't look even remotely towards the rear of your plane.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2012, 07:48:43 PM »
...and from what I've heard, they don't have that many playing over there any more. Maybe it ISN'T better.

Well the "Rats" never say how many they have paying to play. But I just did some time over there playing, I would say just by feel and looking around in the larger battles they are going as good as Late War AH. There are many thing I still think they need to work on... Flying being one of them. But they do a very good job at playing "war".

CAV
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2012, 08:04:12 PM »

Well the "Rats" never say how many they have paying to play. But I just did some time over there playing, I would say just by feel and looking around in the larger battles they are going as good as Late War AH. There are many thing I still think they need to work on... Flying being one of them. But they do a very good job at playing "war".

CAV

so you want to bring their way of playing here so there would be less of us :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline RealDeal

• Copper Member
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2012, 08:42:08 PM »
I Think the best thing to do is to institue a "local" ENY. This can serve to motivate defenders by allowing them to earn more points in a shorter amount of time.
~BParker
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:45:04 PM by RealDeal »
~BParker~
SHADE

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2012, 08:51:48 PM »
I Think the best thing to do is to institue a "local" ENY. This can serve to motivate defenders by allowing them to earn more points in a shorter amount of time.
~BParker

I doubt that any perkcentric solution will be effective.  Many of us have thousands and thousands of banked perks.  I never even think about them.  Extra perks would do nothing to motivate me, and I suspect that I am not alone.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »
[so you want to bring their way of playing here so there would be less of us]

No........... I just want better gameplay. And for me that is a better war.  Less players, been there sir. I played AW back in the days of GEnie for more $$$ an hour than I like to think about. And most player wanted back then want same thing most players want now.... a better war game.

cav
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline RealDeal

• Copper Member
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2012, 09:48:42 PM »
I doubt that any perkcentric solution will be effective.  Many of us have thousands and thousands of banked perks.  I never even think about them.  Extra perks would do nothing to motivate me, and I suspect that I am not alone.

For the record I think most players here have less then 200 perks at anyone time.
~BParker~
SHADE

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2012, 11:19:15 PM »

Ya but Dave your one of those that already will up to defend so there isn't any need to entice you other than it's a place to fight. The problem is we need more to counter the horde. The only things that will stop the horde is a squad that does nothing but pork runs ALL the time, or matching numbers. Having 12-20 guys doing nothing but porking runs all day and night isn't fun. Getting more people to defend and so more combat.... well, what ever "carrot" works.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: January 02, 2012, 12:05:10 PM »
The problem with AI is they become predictable after awhile. Also, if you add them will they be counted as kills when you shoot them down? If not, why both to chase them, they just become moving obstacles that you can predict where they will go becoming unimportant and so will be basically ignored in a fight. If they are counted, that means they will be able to shoot you down. Imagine the cries! "Dweeb couldn't fight me, had to send his drones after me!".

No I don't think AI is an answer. There has to be a reason to defend, or people won't defend. There is no reasonable way to stop a horde. Sure you and 19 of your buddies can cap a base at 15-20k waiting for an attack they may not come. Maybe 20 guys can get together in winged pairs and do 3-4 sector sweeps looking for an attack and another 20 guys can just wait in a tower shooting the s**t waiting to get a report for when to roll where.

No, until there is a way to entice people to defend, the horde will rule the game.

"The dweeb couldn't fight so he brought his horde!"  What's the difference?  You are totally ignoring my premise that more folks would defend if they could fill the skies faster (only in areas stressed by overwhelming numbers).

The answer to the question if restated, "What would make players want to balance the fights?"  The incentive for balancing fights has to come from some drive as big as wanting to win the war.  You do it for yourself, you do it for your friends and comrades, you do it for the chess piece that you fly for, in that order.  So, what's in it for me, my friends and comrades, and my chess piece.  ENY and perk multipliers just ain't gonna cut it.  HTC would have to give an outnumbered defender huge bonuses in order to balance what it would be worth to just go somewhere else and make perks by attacking where the enemy are not.  Face it, the majority of AH2 players are motivated by what they can do for themselves, and chess piece be damned.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2012, 09:04:18 AM »

The answer to the question if restated, "What would make players want to balance the fights?" 

I dont think the "average" player ever ups to balance a fight. He/she will up to win a fight or some how gain from the fight that is joined. It could be as you say that some extra motivation could be providd thru score although I cannot see the mechanism other than a local ENY which is transfered to all aspects of score. Which is not of import to all players.

From my perspective the inability to launch and gain any alt over a horded base just means I move to another base but some times this is too far or too much time or too porked to make my reprisal worth while or in any way rewarding.  I suppose horde busting via 262 is plausible its just not the game play I enjoy.

So fix No.1 for me would be to remove the hordes target from the environs of my air field such that I could up to defend the skies over local (no more then a sector away) towns or vehicle fields. My air field would be heavily defended by auto AA, Puffy AA etc etc. If you want to kill my airfield then it should be as heavily defended as any Cv group and more.

If you want to capture my air field then you better move the front line a bit closer by capturing these towns that are just a sector away. But I want to be always be able to up to defend from a field within a sector of your target. Further if you capture I want to be in a positon to immediately re capture if your not organised enough to hold it for a given period of time.

In this way we do not assume to control the horde. It will still overwhelm its targets (but the air field is not one of them so it will not deny us access to local game play) So we neutralise its ability to deny us access to local combat
by capping our fields. Then we exploit its greatest weakness........ its not organised. It has to hold the the town or GV field it has just taken......auto AA has not popped up magically and now it has to defend......... both sides have access to the field of combat.
Ludere Vincere

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2012, 09:32:32 AM »

You are not alone Dave.  I have thousands banked in each category but find myself uninterested in earning more or spending what I have(kinda have my favorites and they are not perk planes or vehicles).  I like to fight though and it takes nothing but a huge red dar to motivate me. 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2012, 12:04:41 PM »

What percentage of the player base do you think have more than say, 2000 perks?

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2012, 12:09:54 PM »
What percentage of the player base do you think have more than say, 2000 perks?

I'm surprise at how many people cry about losing perks because they got discoed while in a 262, or scrubbed a B29 launch and request their perks back.

Taking into account that a majority of players fly late war monsters and are in hordes they most likely get very few perk points. I'd bet it's less than 25% of players have more than 1000 perks in a single category.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2012, 12:44:17 PM »
I'm surprise at how many people cry about losing perks because they got discoed while in a 262, or scrubbed a B29 launch and request their perks back.

Taking into account that a majority of players fly late war monsters and are in hordes they most likely get very few perk points. I'd bet it's less than 25% of players have more than 1000 perks in a single category.

I agree.  I think perk incentivized ideas would work.