Author Topic: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN  (Read 15683 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: World of Aircraft...vs...Aces High...We need to WIN
« Reply #315 on: June 08, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »

Hello,

Now i have been playing AH for about 2 or maybe 3 years now, and I fear another game may take it out. Recently wargameing.com has released the trailer for World of Aircraft. If this game is anything like World of Tanks it will have amazing graphics and sounds...not to say it will most likely be free. Now my thing is that the graphics in AH2 reselmble atari. If the game is to be popular you need to advirtise and have realy good graphics. I love the game and I play it alot...but paying $15 a month for a game that I get dis connected from and that looks like it the graphics have not changed from 2002 is not a good fealing. I want to play a game that I can have fun on and also say, Oh yeah thats the amazing life like game I play! Not to be rude but with us paying $15 a month you should be able to invest in making the game better. I would hate to see AH2 be killed off by WoA but it might just happen. So please take this email seriously, and keep AH2 up with the best PC games!

If it is anything like world of tanks then it wont affect aces high at all.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #316 on: June 08, 2012, 01:15:03 PM »
If it is anything like world of tanks then it wont affect aces high at all.

Not true, as World of Tanks is very much like renting a car...

I get to drive some shiny new toy for a week, I don't pay for it, and when I get back in my 2004 Subaru Baja Turbo I realize all over again what an amazing piece of machinery it is.

Same with Aces High... I have played games from amber-screen text to photorealistic, and to me... aside from the terrain... Aces High is beautiful... no other game out there even comes close to capturing the projectiles and damage model... and certainly not in a multiplayer venue.

Aces High is about as dead as Print...  and as long as the gaming scene continues to grow as it has, AH will be just fine... because more and more people will get tired of gilded glurge like WoT and turn to something they can really sink their teeth into...

SO... In my opinion, WoP will simply expand the pool from which AH can draw from... big marketing = more players... and some of those players (the kind you want in AH) will find it lacking... but have their interest piqued.

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #317 on: June 08, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »
The preview screenshots of the P-39 were not as good as the AH2 P-39.  While the terrain looked much higher resolution, it also had a cramped feeling.
As almost all World War Two air combat simulations games get. Aces High is the only one that is pretty open.
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #318 on: June 08, 2012, 04:45:17 PM »
The thing about AH is it works. Everytime I turn it on it works! All my controllers work with it! My Track IR works with it! I dont go down to 6 fps sitting in grass, or buzzing London, with whats still a pretty darn good computer. And AH has a phone number an actual Homo Sapien with pick up and/or return an E-mail right away. 95% of the time its resolved in the forum within 15 mins.

Graphics isnt everything. Frankly I feel BF3 is a letdown from BC2. I used to love the Vietnam game of BC2, the mood, music, and weapons, cause I was alive and remember them.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #319 on: June 08, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »
GOt an email, they are processing my application for Beta of world of warplanes :D

I'll also try out for world of battleships when it comes out, soon it will have all that Aces High has and rule the world!  :noid  :lol
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #320 on: June 09, 2012, 11:14:30 AM »

If that is the case, Aces High has already won ..

If you want an air combat sim with any degree of historical accuracy behind it, Aces High has already buried it's competition.

If you want an arcade game, have at it.

If World of Tanks is any indication, historical accuracy will end at the model shapes and textures, and that's it.
Aces High already matches or exceeds their aircraft model shapes and textures.
I am sure they will figure out a way to make gold spent mean more than actual skill in game.. if they can.
You'll prolly have '30's aircraft mixing it up with '50's aircraft in an arcade flight/ballistics model with 'modules' that never existed on planes that never existed.

..I am too spoiled by far .. Pass.

As for terrain .. really?
Grass just does not do anything for a flight sim ..once you have a terrain that allows hills, valleys, trees and buildings, yer done.

Ground combat would benefit from more/destructible stuff ..perhaps make it repair after 30 mins or so as long as a tank or some such isn't sittin on it..
..but I do not regard that as the primary focus of Aces High ..altho it is fun to strap into a tank and wade into a battle for a few hours now and then.

-just my 2 copper

-Frank aka GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #321 on: June 09, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »

If that is the case, Aces High has already won ..

If you want an air combat sim with any degree of historical accuracy behind it, Aces High has already buried it's competition.

If you want an arcade game, have at it.

If World of Tanks is any indication, historical accuracy will end at the model shapes and textures, and that's it.
Aces High already matches or exceeds their aircraft model shapes and textures.
I am sure they will figure out a way to make gold spent mean more than actual skill in game.. if they can.
You'll prolly have '30's aircraft mixing it up with '50's aircraft in an arcade flight/ballistics model with 'modules' that never existed on planes that never existed.

..I am too spoiled by far .. Pass.

As for terrain .. really?
Grass just does not do anything for a flight sim ..once you have a terrain that allows hills, valleys, trees and buildings, yer done.

Ground combat would benefit from more/destructible stuff ..perhaps make it repair after 30 mins or so as long as a tank or some such isn't sittin on it..
..but I do not regard that as the primary focus of Aces High ..altho it is fun to strap into a tank and wade into a battle for a few hours now and then.

-just my 2 copper

-Frank aka GE

:aok :rock :salute

:salute Hitech Creations

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Zexx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #322 on: June 14, 2012, 05:02:39 PM »
I'm a return player. I have played this sim under various nicks for about three or four years. Both as a two week trial and as a subscriber. I have also played World of Tanks.

I am total concert with many of the posts here in support of AH verse World of Planes. Since World of Planes will work in a similar fashion as World of Tanks- in that you have pay or fight for upgrades to your aircraft ( including variants and better parts like more powerful engines? :headscratch:)- it basically means if your not paying for it one way or another  in terms of time, money, or both then your left with substandard trash to start off with. Aircraft will be in Tiers like the tanks were. Can you see how unbalanced the play is going to be? At least with AH you get the same base chance as any other player gets right out of the gate. I have played World of Tanks and as a GV'er primarily I prefer AH over World of Tanks any day.

In World of Tanks I spent more time repairing my chassis, Armor, and on my crew in my Light Tank(tier 1) than I did on upgrades for better tanks. Yeah, needless to say World of Planes is in no way going to be competitive to Aces High by any margin. In fact I can ALMOST guarantee Aces High isn't what World of Planes is worried about. Aces is quality, World of Tanks is quantity meaning the more you buy or play the better stuff you were able to have. At least with Aces, you get newer and better stuff without paying extra for it, and when I die in a Panzer versus panzer fight- I was killed by superior skill and position not because that panzer had better equipment than I had because my adversary outspent me  in time and/or money.

Just sayin'
Yes there is a Huge learning curve in flying. It starts on Take off and ends on the glide slope for landing. In short The grade arc is the difference you take between being in the sky or in a mountainside.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #323 on: June 14, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
<invalid comparison>

WoT is a MMO based around LEVELING UP tank trees.

Aces High is a SIM based around air to air combat.

WoWP is a MMO based around LEVELING UP aircraft trees.

-----

In your comparison "You are paying for it in one way or another money/TIME/" etc.  - You are stating that every single person in AH has a level fighting chance and in WoT they don't.

WRONG.

I could up a spixteen (the ultimate ezmodeuberplanekillerfornewgu ysforeverz) against say, Bruv and have him in a JU 87 and he would probably kick my butt. Why? Because in AH it isn't about what ride you're in - it's about how well you can fly that bird. I SUCK at AH but I keep playing because it's fun. Guys like Bruv are good because they........."invested time" - oh and they paid $15 a month.

WoT is free. You don't "pay to win". You just pay to make the grind easier, so you only PAY if you're impatient.

In WoT, I can take an M6 Heavy tank (you seem to be new to WoT since you used a tier 1 comparison) and whoop the hell out of a tier 9 heavy if I play right. When you're in the smaller tanks you play support. You don't fight head to head like you're in CoD.

If it didn't take TIME and CREDIT (In-game currency) to move forward, the game would be "World of Tier Ten Heavy Tanks and Tier 8 Artillery".

There would be ZERO variety. AH involves a constant online session. WoT involves 15 minute battles.
AH involves LOT'S of skill whereas WoT just needs some common sense.

----

Not being a dick but pointing out why you can't use that comparison. Plus you haven't played WoWP therefore your input on both is nothing but speculation and therefore unreliable.

I'm in the closed beta and it blows. Why? Not because I have to "grind" for anything but because the players are DUMB (and that is being generous), the game play is cartoonish, the flight stick response time suffers from a huge delay along with several other issues.

AH beats the hell out of WoWP any day of the week. AH could have pneumonia and whoop WoWP's arse.

---

EDIT: "World of Tanks is quantity meaning the more you buy or play the better stuff you were able to have. At least with Aces, you get newer and better stuff without paying extra for it, and when I die in a Panzer versus panzer fight- I was killed by superior skill and position not because that panzer had better equipment than I had because my adversary outspent me  in time and/or money."

Look at the bolded area... In AH; to get better things you spend PERKS which are earned by investing TIME and your MONEY ($15). The guys who GV in AH aren't just good on the spot. They spend time and money learning the tricks, just like WoT except WoT is FREE.

People want the "uber best" thing off the bat. Guess what? That makes games boring. Working for it makes it enjoyable....exception being the E100...that thing sucks.

You can't hop into a tank on WoT and pen everything because you have the best gun for that tank. The E100 is proof. One of the hardest hitting guns in the game but you know what? If you don't aim for weak spots on enemy armor, guess what? You're going to hear: "That one bounced!", "Ricochet!", "We just dinged them!", "We didn't even scratch them!" etc.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:23:52 PM by MarineUS »
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Zexx

• Zinc Member
« Reply #324 on: June 14, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »
WoT is a MMO based around LEVELING UP tank trees.

Aces High is a SIM based around air to air combat.

WoWP is a MMO based around LEVELING UP aircraft trees.

-----

In your comparison "You are paying for it in one way or another money/TIME/" etc.  - You are stating that every single person in AH has a level fighting chance and in WoT they don't.

WRONG.

I could up a spixteen (the ultimate ezmodeuberplanekillerfornewgu ysforeverz) against say, Bruv and have him in a JU 87 and he would probably kick my butt. Why? Because in AH it isn't about what ride you're in - it's about how well you can fly that bird. I SUCK at AH but I keep playing because it's fun. Guys like Bruv are good because they........."invested time" - oh and they paid $15 a month.

WoT is free. You don't "pay to win". You just pay to make the grind easier, so you only PAY if you're impatient.

In WoT, I can take an M6 Heavy tank (you seem to be new to WoT since you used a tier 1 comparison) and whoop the hell out of a tier 9 heavy if I play right. When you're in the smaller tanks you play support. You don't fight head to head like you're in CoD.

If it didn't take TIME and CREDIT (In-game currency) to move forward, the game would be "World of Tier Ten Heavy Tanks and Tier 8 Artillery".

There would be ZERO variety. AH involves a constant online session. WoT involves 15 minute battles.
AH involves LOT'S of skill whereas WoT just needs some common sense.

----

Not being a dick but pointing out why you can't use that comparison. Plus you haven't played WoWP therefore your input on both is nothing but speculation and therefore unreliable.

I'm in the closed beta and it blows. Why? Not because I have to "grind" for anything but because the players are DUMB (and that is being generous), the game play is cartoonish, the flight stick response time suffers from a huge delay along with several other issues.

AH beats the hell out of WoWP any day of the week. AH could have pneumonia and whoop WoWP's arse.

The comparison may have been off, but your point and mine in general say the same thing. I juts pointed out how i saw things from my perspective as off kilter as it may have seemed :salute. So No offense taken
Yes there is a Huge learning curve in flying. It starts on Take off and ends on the glide slope for landing. In short The grade arc is the difference you take between being in the sky or in a mountainside.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #325 on: June 14, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
It just ticks me off when people say WoT is a pay to win game.

I pay $15 a month on WoT to keep my premium up. Just like AH. I spend not one penny more.

Gold rounds? They don't guarantee a win and they sure don't give you much of an advantage. I've used them in clan wars (gold given out by my clan) and they seem to bounce just as much as a normal AP round.
----

The only difference is the average intelligence of the player base (WoT being somewhere in the -391 area lol) and the fact one must grind. It's hard for me to even put grind in there because it feels like grinding when I'm trying to earn some perkies for nice GV's or planes. I hate trying to earn fighter perks. Some of these guys earn in a day what I do in 6 months in perk points.

It's easier for me to grind XP and credits in WoT than it is for me to get a 262 in AH.
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #326 on: June 14, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »
The ships look cool . Planes don't look any better .

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #327 on: June 14, 2012, 10:56:33 PM »
It just ticks me off when people say WoT is a pay to win game.

I pay $15 a month on WoT to keep my premium up. Just like AH. I spend not one penny more.

Gold rounds? They don't guarantee a win and they sure don't give you much of an advantage. I've used them in clan wars (gold given out by my clan) and they seem to bounce just as much as a normal AP round.
----

The only difference is the average intelligence of the player base (WoT being somewhere in the -391 area lol) and the fact one must grind. It's hard for me to even put grind in there because it feels like grinding when I'm trying to earn some perkies for nice GV's or planes. I hate trying to earn fighter perks. Some of these guys earn in a day what I do in 6 months in perk points.

Really, I feel that its pay-to-reach-tier-10-in-a-timely-manner. I mean it takes an ungodly ammount of time to grind out the 6.5 million credits you need to reach tier 10, and I've largely quit playing the main server because of that discouraging fact, and because of the average 6 IQ possesed by the average WoT player.

I swear to god, when it comes to tactics, they don't have a clue. I'm fairly certian that one of our M8's could beat the crap out of about 12 of their T110's.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #328 on: June 14, 2012, 11:19:46 PM »
Aircraft will be in Tiers like the tanks were. Can you see how unbalanced the play is going to be? At least with AH you get the same base chance as any other player gets right out of the gate.

You mean a bit like seeing Citabria roam around in his perk F4u-c,F4u-4,Tempest,262 etc. while the noobs can't afford them? :D

The perk system IMO is totally reversed. The noobs should get the uber rides and the top scorers more challenging ones. The noobs need the crutch, not the 15 year veteran. Perk system now rewards the experienced player but also causes even larger learning curve for a noob. When I played the most, the most fun for me was challenging a top plane with a 202 or P40. Later on Brewster.

It's a whole new level of fun rtb:ing with P40B with 5 kills and parts missing than doing it in 262.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #329 on: June 20, 2012, 05:40:54 PM »
Who's winning?