Author Topic: Question about deer meat.  (Read 1130 times)

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Question about deer meat.
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:04:59 AM »
i sit here right now, Enjoying one of the best bowls of chili ive ever tasted. made by mother. It contains deer meat. and its delicious.

Enjoying it tho, it makes me wonder. Why do supermarkets not sell deer meat? and why do we not farm deers, as we do cattle?

Im not familier with hunting laws, so forgive me if that counts into it. My only explination is that Deers are a huge food source for many other animals.
 :salute

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Question about deer meat.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:14:30 AM »
i sit here right now, Enjoying one of the best bowls of chili ive ever tasted. made by mother. It contains deer meat. and its delicious.

Enjoying it tho, it makes me wonder. Why do supermarkets not sell deer meat? and why do we not farm deers, as we do cattle?

Im not familier with hunting laws, so forgive me if that counts into it. My only explination is that Deers are a huge food source for many other animals.
 :salute

because most people dont like the smell and taste of it.  and they are not sure how to prepare it.  same reason why in many cities it is hard to find anything other than beef or pork.

I made some really good deer meat at my house once, fricking dog went wild barking when she smelled it and my gf left the house because she couldnt stand the smell of it.  I told her she had put worst things in her mouth but she wont let me make it again.

funny thing is I have made cow tongue, heart and other specialty cuts that she doesnt know what she was eating and she loved them.  as long as she doesnt know what she's eating.  but if you ask her if she would eat heart or tongue she says hell no it's the most disgusting things in the world.

guess what you dont know wont hurt you  :uhoh?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline M0nkey_Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:25:37 AM »
mmmmm deeeeerrrrrr :aok
FlyKommando.com

"Tip of the dull butter knife"
delta07

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 02:09:03 AM »
because most people dont like the smell and taste of it.  and they are not sure how to prepare it.  same reason why in many cities it is hard to find anything other than beef or pork.

thats a shame. this is by far the best chili ive ever had. my mothers bf hunts, and he makes great peppered deer jerky.

In my town, people go nuts during hunting season, ether hunting themselves, or trying to find someone willing to hunt for them. Just seems if someone started selling deer meat here, they could making a killing.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 02:22:32 AM »
Deer is simply harder to farm, cattle are more domesticated (docile).

In NZ we do have deer farms, and we can buy venison in the supermarket. Though it's generally red deer. Most of our venison gets exported though.

Fallow Deer meat is the best meat I've ever tasted, it's sweetish, very light and tender, and has no fat. It makes even the best beef look like 3 week old roadkill. But it's very difficult to farm, and a smallish animal compared to red deer. Occasionally I get to hunt a couple of area's that carry fallow, last time I brought back 3 beasties.

Here's one about to get chopped up with my hungry little carnivores waiting:

Believe it or not my wife does all the butchering, we get every little piece as we have a mincer. Of the last 3 I brought back we got around 16kg's of prime venison mince from offcuts which made delicious burger patties.

In NZ deer is considered a pest (introduced species), hunting is all year around and free :)

While we're talking meat, we also eat hare meat (aka Jack Rabbit in the USA), rabbit, and feral goat (the young nannies). All are excellent and healthy meats commonly overlooked. I took my eldest (nearly 7 now) hunting and shot a hare just last night.

One of these guys...

They have very long back steaks which are great for frying, and lots of meat on the hind legs. Once again the meat is a lean red meat, and the female of the species tastes best :D  . Sometimes I'll roast them - rest of the time they go into the mincer (great for pasta's). A typical hare will give around 2.5pounds of healthy lean mince.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 02:25:04 AM by Vulcan »

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 02:56:39 AM »
Deers are agile and fast.

Cows are not.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 06:35:29 AM »
Awesome vulcan, wish I could come hunting with ya over there!!

Oh and thanks for posting the pic of the NZ hare.

As a dumb American, all my life I thought rabbits looked like this..........

:devil  :cheers:
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 07:46:56 AM »
if you ask her if she would eat heart or tongue she says hell no it's the most disgusting things in the world.
"Yuck, I wouldn't eat anything that's been in some animal's mouth!" How about some eggs, then...  :x
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 09:33:58 AM »
I love taking deer steaks and country fryin em.  Serve them up with some rice and gravy and some mashed taters.  Now that is good eatin right there. 

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »
The biggest problem with deer is the lack of the beast being bled properly. Or worse yet, serving deer that was killed by an automobile.

If the meat is fresh and properly bled, it tends to be rather tasty.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 10:44:48 AM »
because deer are not domesticated in the US really.  Do you have any idea how high a deer rancher would need to build their fences?
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 10:49:19 AM »
Crud..... 10:47 and now I'm already hungry.   

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »
I know here in Ohio deer are farmed. I remember reading an article about a buck used for breeding (stud, bull, etc.)  escaping a fenced area. That sucker was worth (memory not so good anymore) maybe upwards of a few hundred thousand to $1mil.

Offline forHIM

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 03:50:50 PM »

Deer can and are "farmed" in the states.  However most of the money is not in the meat, but to produce products for the hunting market.  Elk and Bison are also raised now.  In specialty markets they should be able to get or have venison / elk / bison. 

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2011, 05:19:20 PM »
I believe there may be some laws that govern the farming of indigenous species also...we have deer here that are farmed but they are red deer.