Author Topic: AVA request  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: AVA request
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 05:54:13 PM »
What's this we stuff?

Are you implying that somehow the AvA is some sort of exclusive club and that certain players aren't welcome?

Sure sounds like several of you would prefer to keep the rest of us holding little lanterns in your yards.

Not cool.

"WE" =  Everyone that pays $14.95 a month.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 05:56:58 PM »
"WE" =  Everyone that pays $14.95 a month.   :salute

:aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
Sure sounds like several of you would prefer to keep the rest of us holding little lanterns in your yards.

Actually, I kind of like this idea.

- oldman (I claim Melvin for my front yard)

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 06:16:49 PM »
Wanted to try something different is all. Not looking for a two sided MA. Just simply trying something different.  A week of that set up will really bring the sky crashing down? It'll bring the wrong crowd? Like there's a crowd in there to begin with yeah with 1/500 on in the AVA right now.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:21:37 PM by james »
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 06:29:03 PM »

Actually, I kind of like this idea.

- oldman (I claim Melvin for my front yard)

:rofl  :aok

Fine, but it's going to cost you.

1 freshly tailored jockey uniform plus $14.95 per month.
See Rule #4

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »
just don't expect it to change to what you've already got is all i'm saying.

I think that's the point...they don't already have this. The MA has three sides, all aircraft enabled everywhere. You see Jug vs Pony, Zeke vs Nikki, 190 vs Zeke, Spit vs La-7, etc., etc.  What's being asked for is a two-sided arena with all allied planes on one side and all axis planes on another; it's pretty much what the AvA is already doing, but with the full planeset available instead of historical re-enactments with limited planes.

Will it bring in more players, pehaps. Will it bring in "the wrong type" of players, I'll let you decide that one. I've read many posts about how a growing number of people tire of axis fighting axis and allied fighting allied and how cool it would be for a two-sided arena. What's the harm in giving it a whirl?
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 06:56:57 PM »
I think that's the point...they don't already have this. The MA has three sides, all aircraft enabled everywhere. You see Jug vs Pony, Zeke vs Nikki, 190 vs Zeke, Spit vs La-7, etc., etc.  What's being asked for is a two-sided arena with all allied planes on one side and all axis planes on another; it's pretty much what the AvA is already doing, but with the full planeset available instead of historical re-enactments with limited planes.

Will it bring in more players, pehaps. Will it bring in "the wrong type" of players, I'll let you decide that one. I've read many posts about how a growing number of people tire of axis fighting axis and allied fighting allied and how cool it would be for a two-sided arena. What's the harm in giving it a whirl?

well, if they're tired of what they've been flying....then c'mon in!!!!

just don't expect it to change.  that's like the family that moved into a condo 1/4 mile off of the active runway at a small airport....then they expect the airport to change for them.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 07:02:08 PM »

All of this.

I think the OP was just suggesting a different setup that would be run for a limited time.

This is something you already do in the AvA. Some setups win (Midway) and some setups suck horribly (jetweek *GACK*).

Perhaps instead of worrying about the "wrong kind of people" coming to play in your sandbox, some of you should be making suggestions that might get this thing off the ground. And maybe, just maybe you might see more than 10 people in there 1 night a week.
See Rule #4

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 07:23:15 PM »
A week of that set up will really bring the sky crashing down?  

I don't think it would.

I do have a question though. With occasional exceptions, the AvA is run with plane match ups that represent what really happened in history.

If the AvA appeals to those that don't care to fly Spit v Spit or Corsair vs Mustang, would Corsair v 109 or Tempest v Zeke be much better?

What about enabling all the Axis and Allied planes in different areas where they would most likely encounter their traditional adversary? Say ETO in one area, Pacific in another? or would that defeat the point?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 07:27:48 PM by jimson »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 08:14:58 PM »
All of this.

I think the OP was just suggesting a different setup that would be run for a limited time.

This is something you already do in the AvA. Some setups win (Midway) and some setups suck horribly (jetweek *GACK*).

Perhaps instead of worrying about the "wrong kind of people" coming to play in your sandbox, some of you should be making suggestions that might get this thing off the ground. And maybe, just maybe you might see more than 10 people in there 1 night a week.
ok.

2 sided war. all aircraft active. no icons. full dot dar. pacific map with 10kt winds below 15k, and 30kt winds above 15k. varied cloud cover at 10k, nearly solid at 12k.

that could actually be fun.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 09:05:31 PM »
ok.

2 sided war. all aircraft active. no icons. full dot dar. pacific map with 10kt winds below 15k, and 30kt winds above 15k. varied cloud cover at 10k, nearly solid at 12k.

that could actually be fun.

:aok
See Rule #4

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 10:30:49 PM »
Didn't want to have an event that limits anyone except picking a side. Didn't want an event where all day you search for the enemy and just before you run empty you finally find one or two. That's why I wanted the radar like in the MA. Didn't want it to go on and on like a new LW arena. That's why I asked for a week. Figure the last week in January so there's time to tell everyone about it. Want a map that gives roughly the same gameplay as the MA so that people actually show up. Most of the time the scenarios go on and on looking and looking then you see a couple of enemy but have to land because fuel went low. Scenarios also have an imbalance to them as far as plane set because in RL one side used all 109k4's and the other used p39's (just an example hairsplitters) but RL rarely translates to fun in a video game also in that kind of venue. Please use a map that has land mass for both sides to capture stuff and some water so both sides have cv's. Just please keep to axis on one side and allies on the other as far as the plane set goes. I just cross my fingers it wont become a 262 vs all kind of thing. Thanks for hearing me out .  :salute
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 11:50:18 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion james.

No promises, but we'll put in in the hopper and see if one of the staff wants to give it a go.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »
Didn't want to have an event that limits anyone except picking a side. Didn't want an event where all day you search for the enemy and just before you run empty you finally find one or two. That's why I wanted the radar like in the MA. Didn't want it to go on and on like a new LW arena. That's why I asked for a week. Figure the last week in January so there's time to tell everyone about it. Want a map that gives roughly the same [/b]gameplay as the MA so that people actually show up. Most of the time the scenarios go on and on looking and looking then you see a couple of enemy but have to land because fuel went low. Scenarios also have an imbalance to them as far as plane set because in RL one side used all 109k4's and the other used p39's (just an example hairsplitters) but RL rarely translates to fun in a video game also in that kind of venue. Please use a map that has land mass for both sides to capture stuff and some water so both sides have cv's. Just please keep to axis on one side and allies on the other as far as the plane set goes. I just cross my fingers it wont become a 262 vs all kind of thing. Thanks for hearing me out .  :salute

so what you want, is a 2 sided ma. and to make the ava less common.

the ava is historical match ups. that is what makes it fun.

why the hell does everyone want to change things??
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2012, 09:30:07 AM »
I don't think this fits what james is looking for, but I've often thought a map that represents the world at war might be cool.

Russia vs Germany at the top of a large land mass. Below that US vs Germany, Below that Britain vs Germany and off shore, in an island area, USN vs IJN.

All running at the same time.