Author Topic: wtf little ponies?  (Read 2349 times)

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: wtf little ponies?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 08:38:33 PM »
Guys were invading their post, I think we need to back off, even if we are defending our beliefs its pointless here
Reaper in a T-50-2 Scout tank in 10 seconds flat

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 08:41:39 PM »
There has always been biogtry, and there always will be.  However, social acceptance of being gay, or being Jewish, or being anything that isn't a 'WASP' is much higher than it was than when the majority of us were younger.

The difference comes in how the generations were raised, and the parents did a big disservice by raising a generation of kids to be dependant upon them.  Kids wanting to move back home after college seems to be the norm now.  Non-city kids not knowing how to drive, or even having licenses, because their parents chauffer them until they leave is common.  Kids lacking the knowdlege on being self sufficient is what a generation of parents has produced, and that directly translates into feeling 'entitled' to everything, because they were given everything or had everything done for them.

This may not be you, but this is a definitive mark on this generation.

There is a difference in feeling entitled to high pay (feeling entitled to anything, actually) and feeling like you made a bad decision.  One is blaming other people for not giving it to you, and the other is blaming yourself for making a mistake.  It's not the same.

As for making choices, the information is out there.  More information is available now than ever before.  It's up to the person to research though, and not expect to have the research done for them.

I see this every single day.  I see the blame, the failure to take ownership, and the expectation that they're entitled 'x,y, and z' because they were told so.

Hmm, I agree with you that it is a problem, but the message 'you can be anything'  doesn't come at a time when you are particularly inclined to do research.  When they told me that, I was 5 years old and wanted to be a Marine.  Now, I abhor war and want to be a physicist.  The point is that there isn't a big enough push to improve education, while we still give them inflated expectations that their current level of effort cannot fulfill.  Now in the case of dependence, the economy is in a bind, so moving back home temporarily may be a smart move in order to save money in order to buy a nicer house later.  However, I can't see what you see, so perhaps you have a point.  Blaming others for choosing a degree in sociology and not making big bucks though, I agree, that's being annoying.

-Penguin

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
Hmm, I agree with you that it is a problem, but the message 'you can be anything'  doesn't come at a time when you are particularly inclined to do research.  When they told me that, I was 5 years old and wanted to be a Marine.  Now, I abhor war and want to be a physicist.  The point is that there isn't a big enough push to improve education, while we still give them inflated expectations that their current level of effort cannot fulfill.  Now in the case of dependence, the economy is in a bind, so moving back home temporarily may be a smart move in order to save money in order to buy a nicer house later.  However, I can't see what you see, so perhaps you have a point.  Blaming others for choosing a degree in sociology and not making big bucks though, I agree, that's being annoying.

-Penguin

Education is a major problem in this country, and I have my thoughts on how to improve it and what I'd change, but I don't want to bring any political talk into this.  I'll say that there is a big divide in what kids are told and what they're told on how to achieve it.  It seems like the idea of 'working harder to get ahead' is gone.  It's not like it's changed into 'working smarter to get ahead' either. 

Almost every parent loves their kid(s) and thinks they're the best thing in the world.  These same parents are the ones who molded their children into what I described.  We have friends where the Mom jokes about "Going to college with her sons when they go" because she doesn't want them to leave.  Does she also do everything for them?  Pretty much.  Is this allowing her kids to 'grow'?  Not so much.

The idea about moving back home started before the economy really started to tank.  We saw it transpiring more often around 10-12 years ago, not just in the recent years.  It's one thing to move home because of necessity.  I had to do that when I was younger, and it was demoralizing.  But during that time, over a few years, I paid off debts and saved $40k to put 20% down on my first house.  My goal was to become an adult, not live with Mom and Dad.  The difference is that kids don't want to leave the nest, and their parents seem happy to have them there.

So, it is a smart move, but the motivation behind going home leaves much to question.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
The Waltons were slackers.

Offline adam1

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2012, 03:38:16 PM »
Playtime's over, stop it. We may be down but we're definately not out. We bronies didn't do anything harmful or offensive. It was you arschlöcher who were trolling, hating, and acting like CHILDREN!!!. Continuing this post is horrible sporsmanship, and i ask you to please discontinue this post.
The official Brony Representative of the Aces High BBS Boards

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2012, 03:40:20 PM »
I have never eaten poo before because I know it will taste like crap. I never met Saddam Hussein or Hitler, and I know they were evil. Your argument is invalid

You lie !!

You are in the U.S. Army.  :devil
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2012, 03:58:35 PM »
I'll drop out of this topic...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:24:56 PM by F22RaptorDude »

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 04:07:21 PM »
Some threads just make you...

LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2012, 04:23:08 PM »
Adam, just ignore them. There is no need to even speak directly to them. They will go about their business, you should just go about yours, and let Skuzzy decide who is in good form and who isn't.

This, IMO, is not in good form.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline adam1

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2012, 04:32:04 PM »
Adam, just ignore them. There is no need to even speak directly to them. They will go about their business, you should just go about yours, and let Skuzzy decide who is in good form and who isn't.

This, IMO, is not in good form.

I'm never trusting Skuzzy after what he did
The official Brony Representative of the Aces High BBS Boards

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2012, 04:35:06 PM »
I'm never trusting Skuzzy after what he did

Skuzzy removed conflict, he did what seemed right, though he forgot this thread  :lol For that I will forgive

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
shhhh we must become like ninjas and strike from the shadows........ :noid :noid :noid

anyhow give it a rest guys (adam/tyrannis) stirred up a whole lot of nothing with that post.

/)*(\
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline F22RaptorDude

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2012, 04:47:24 PM »
shhhh we must become like ninjas and strike from the shadows........ :noid :noid :noid

anyhow give it a rest guys (adam/tyrannis) stirred up a whole lot of nothing with that post.

/)*(\
Yeah but the other board members blew it out of proportion