Author Topic: Does it make a difference?  (Read 1765 times)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: Does it make a difference?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 08:22:54 PM »
If one can fly with a consistent 20fps or higher, they really don't *need* an upgrade.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »
Why don't you post the specs of your current system and maybe we can help you tweak the settings to get a few more FPS out of it (if possible)?

Best way is to crank the graphics far down as you can get them and comfortably sit above 30 fps without dropping below it. Defrag the hard drive often and use the lowest video settings, if you can't sit above 30fps its time for an upgrade, regardless.

If you go well above 30, then you can tweak until you sit comfortably above 30 in a firefight, its tough to say what the settings are because it varies on each hard drive.

My laptop cannot be updated, thus is why I gave up when I started dipping below 25, I got used to it until now, its simply to frustrating.
JG 52

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 08:27:53 PM »
If one can fly with a consistent 20fps or higher, they really don't *need* an upgrade.

Apparently you never flown with below 25fps before.
JG 52

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
 :noid :noid Dude..I suck, and I still get a kill with my 1998 Dell. :rock :x :joystick:
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 11:00:53 PM »
This is one of the reasons I'm not in favor of losing icons for air or ground targets. Some of these guys really need the icons to make up for their weaker systems.

That said, except for really big furballs I never drop below 60 fps and that is with everything but shadowing turned on.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 11:57:20 PM »
keep this in mind when you decide to keep/upgrade/buy a computer.  it's whatever makes you happy that is import.  I have spent around 3k on my puter including trakir, 3 monitors, sli cards....blah, blah, blah.

I cant afford to buy all of it at same time, so when I build my own i decided to build it in a way that would allow to upgrade without spending lots of money.  I have bought all my stuff in about 3 years.  my computer is really fast (Ithink anyway:)) and it doesnt really help my score/skill/whatever.  but it makes me happy  :banana: :banana:.

game is about fun.  some guys have their fun with a 200 dollar computer and some others spend 1000s. and when it comes down to it, only you can decice what makes you happy  :salute.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 12:14:21 AM »
I used to fly with 30 FPS, that would drop off to just over 20 when I was near a furball, and it would drop below 10 whenever I fired my guns. Then I got a new computer and better graphic card that shot my FPS up around 90-100. I have since seen my gunnery improve as well as my situational awareness.

Like many have already said, a good computer helps but skills are what counts.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 03:04:15 AM »
Apparently you never flown with below 25fps before.

I flew at 9fps at the highest for three years.

Now my laptop hits no higher than 30fps. I'm speaking from experience.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 05:26:36 AM »
I think we have to talk about stable frame rates and low frame rates and lag.

Lag is the issue obviously.

30 fsp without lag is good.

60 fsp with lag is poor.

My interpretention of lag is your position of yourself in game in regards to the guy your flying against.

In regards to skill that's based on interpretation of what you regard as skill.

Skill = Prowess in game to ability to Aim,manoeuvre plane or SA.

Or

Skill = Hide behind a squads numbers, looking for easy kills, leaving others to maintain score etc.

High score as everyone knows is reveals nothing but a good score.

Those with a good attitude within the game are the people who keep this game the fun, I also appreciate that certain indivuduals are competitative which is also good for game play as long as they appreciate in non cartoon land it amounts to little.

One obviouse flaw in score/skill assessment  is that good looks are not accounted for, I would be the best game player in AH :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 10:46:29 AM »
keep this in mind when you decide to keep/upgrade/buy a computer.  it's whatever makes you happy that is import.  I have spent around 3k on my puter including trakir, 3 monitors, sli cards....blah, blah, blah.

I cant afford to buy all of it at same time, so when I build my own i decided to build it in a way that would allow to upgrade without spending lots of money.  I have bought all my stuff in about 3 years.  my computer is really fast (Ithink anyway:)) and it doesnt really help my score/skill/whatever.  but it makes me happy  :banana: :banana:.

game is about fun.  some guys have their fun with a 200 dollar computer and some others spend 1000s. and when it comes down to it, only you can decice what makes you happy  :salute.

semp
QFT....Semp knows my machine and I built it about 7 months ago...my score hasn't changed one bit...not an ounce.  Whoa unto me because I thought it would make a difference.... so $2K was for me to feel better about competing I guess.

If you decide to upgrade and have kiddos, do it with them.  It was the most fun my son and daughter and I had on a household project...we've built 4 total now for neighbors and parents of kids they go to school with and now we have an 8 machine order for my brother in law for his business.  We wont make squat but its a ton of fun building them and seeing them work correctly.  Hell, even when they don't work correctly its great seeing my kids try to work through the problem....because they're young and their brains work better than mine.  Also, this community may beeyatch and moan and troll the boards but when someone has a puter problem there are about 700 people here that will come to your rescue and they know their shiz....I got more help from this community than I did from the guys at Fry's...and they been TRAINED!!  These folks here know computers.

Speaking of Squat, anyone seen Squat2 lately?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:49:26 AM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline PAKFRONT

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »
IMO, ya gotta have both.. I remember when I first started, dropping to 25 or 30 fps when things get sporty.. And 15 or 20 when firing guns or droppin bombs.. Always wondered, HTF did I miss that?? Well I really didn't, just some of my laggy projectiles vanished into the outer limits.. Seemed like the game engine just lost the bombs and bullets.. Like weak sperm, just never made it, ya know!

But when I got a better machine, just for the game, my kills went up sharply.. Seemed to me that every bit of data counts to the game engine.. More is better, just so it doesn't forget you, or your bombs and bullets are even there.. But people tell me, that is only a human perception.. But still..

Skill in the game? Well sure, that goes without sayin.. But no amount of skill can make up for intermittent laggy bullets..
Youtube game channel, Megaflammenpost
Password of the day = DEMARKATION!

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »
 :noid :cheers: I miss Squat2  :cry He was my FPH! :noid
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 12:14:15 PM »
I sent Squat a message on FB a few weeks ago.. he says that he's doing good, but doesn't have a computer at the moment. He hopes to be back in a few months.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 01:33:21 PM »
I sent Squat a message on FB a few weeks ago.. he says that he's doing good, but doesn't have a computer at the moment. He hopes to be back in a few months.

That's great news...it will be good to have him around again.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 04:43:34 PM »
More skill then system. Though if you insist on running the higher end on the graphics end on a low end system. You success will suffer because of it.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty