Author Topic: Engine Out Landings  (Read 5556 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: Engine Out Landings
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 11:42:05 PM »
Many planes in WWII, when faced with landing damaged, chose to land on the grass alongside the runways.

Since the only score involved was their only life and they didn't care about perk points or their name in lights, they were more than happy to crash land in such a manner.

i just hate the fact that if i have one wheel off the pavement on my landing, or slid off runway on crash landing, i lose out on perks and performance rating. IMHO
I don't think having one wheel off the runway should award you the same ditch that someone who bombed HQ and water ditched his bombers rather than return home.

This was a "successful landing":

So much for the "one wheel off the pavement/airplane barely off" = ditch theory.

Maybe the other wing is back on the pavement somewhere.....

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2012, 12:26:04 AM »
only thing wrong i see with that pic is the shadow that landing gear makes  :rofl :rofl.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2012, 01:56:21 AM »
Many planes in WWII, when faced with landing damaged, chose to land on the grass alongside the runways.

If they  did they were making a mistake unless they just wanted to keep the runway clear, don't land wheels up on grass your more likely to dig in stop short and die.

When I first started this game I would land and then pull off the runway, could not understand why I kept getting the You have Ditched message.

I know its a game and has to have compromises but I think it would be nice if: when you landed with your gear intact that would count as landing, when you break it off its a ditch, if you land it in your territory its better then landing in their territory, if you land at your field its best.  I'm sure somebody out there knows but I'm pretty sure most wwII AC could operate from grass.  I was under the impression (from movies I'll admit) that during the BOB spits and hurricanes operated from grass fields.  I don't know if it holds true for warbirds but little taildraggers like grass better then concrete which irritates and makes them want to ground loop.

I also wish that when I lowered my landing gear to surrender they wouldn't just shoot me down.  Inhumane sonsabishes.
Pies not kicks.

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 02:47:04 AM »
don't land wheels up on grass your more likely to dig in stop short and die.
True. Ditching on the grass thing was more of a fire prevention concept (no sparks) when there was fuel in the tanks or leaking due to enemy action.

When I first started this game I would land and then pull off the runway, could not understand why I kept getting the You have Ditched message.
Me too! Concrete was to taxi on ...

I'm pretty sure most wwII AC could operate from grass.  I was under the impression (from movies I'll admit) that during the BOB spits and hurricanes operated from grass fields.
Spits and Hurris Did... they sometimes had to dodge the local sheep. ME 109s did too, in france, after it fell. BUT - those were the light weights, heavier figters and bombers needed BETTER runways than the soggy english pastures. The Sea-Bees developed some fascinating techniques for putting down hard surface runways in a hurry, landing to one side or the other on those Strips was a good way to become well aquainted with the jungle.
;)
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline talos

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 06:23:24 AM »
How about, if you land within in the confines of the base, it changes from a "you have ditched" to a "you made it home" no other perk modifiers just the message. Give ppl some congratulations for landing a plane that should not, by any rights, be flying. I know for me when I land a deadstick or half a plane its demoralizing to see the "ditched" for just rolling/sliding off the runway a few feet. At least with this with this you get a...

"your landing sucked, but at least you made it back alive :aok"

and we would still keep "you have landed successfully" for the pavement
C-46 "Curtiss Calamity"

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2012, 10:13:10 AM »
its demoralizing to see the "ditched" for just rolling/sliding off the runway a few feet. At least with this with this you get a...  "your landing sucked, but at least you made it back alive :aok"

Maybe we could have a random selection ... like "thanks sport, maybe we can salvage the spark plugs." or "WOW, that looks almost like an airplane!"

or

Maybe HT could put up KEEP OFF THE GRASS signs at the end of all the runways ?
:D

Offline SpencAce

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 10:23:18 AM »
maybe belly land next time
that is true actually, you could just belly land and not have to worry about rolling of the runwya once you black out
**SSgt**

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 10:54:10 AM »
Getting a "ditch" for going off the concrete is simply a game play choice.  The main arena is set up for a game, it's not set up to simulate WW2.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 11:11:55 AM »
That was a close one, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Perhaps the line should be "wheels down, on the wheels, and within the air field perimeter." Especially since you get landing credit for a plane just being on the runway, even if it is what amounts to a "write off". A plane, on its wheels, within the base perimeter, is probably every bit as close as, if not closer than, to being something other than a "write off", a plane in multiple pieces, sitting on the concrete runway.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 12:45:22 PM »
I'm devoted now ---- we need a tug
Defensor Fortis - Defenders of the Force
"INCOMING"

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2012, 12:53:34 PM »
There are always going to be cases of "missed it by THAT much" ... If you think the present system is inadequate, I'd suggest adding a RTB reward, that would apply to EVERY case in which the PILOT makes it back into the base perimeter, be it in a plane, a chute, or walking. Having  a trained pilot live to fight another day has value.
:)

The only problem I see with this is whats to stop people from just flying base to base or fly in a few circles then land?

I think it would be abused to perk farm. Even though the reward may be small people will do it.

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2012, 12:57:01 PM »
The only problem I see with this is whats to stop people from just flying base to base or fly in a few circles then land? I think it would be abused to perk farm. Even though the reward may be small people will do it.
I didn't think about that ... you're probably right.
:salute

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 01:03:06 PM »
you already get a perk reward for landing successfully.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
you already get a perk reward for landing successfully.

? I thought that -REWARD - was given as a % of the PERKS EARNED on the mission? - you don't get points for a successful RTB unless you earned some for accomplishing something ... Right? This eliminates the flaw in my idea,  but doesn't necessarily compensate the guy who went out and got shot to pieces without earning perks, for his successfull RTB.
:salute
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:22:31 PM by EVZ »

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »
Anyone else catchin' my idea here? Tug = no other type of added incentive to what we already have, no need to change current landing areas, just a small vehicle capable of moving damaged a/c. Just a good wingman concept  :rock
Defensor Fortis - Defenders of the Force
"INCOMING"