Author Topic: Engine Out Landings  (Read 5555 times)

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
Engine Out Landings
« on: January 08, 2012, 07:44:01 PM »
Today, unfortunately I was flying a 262, took severe amounts of fire and lost both my engines, pilot wound, fuel, etc. The aircraft was still controllable, just dead stick and bouts of passing in and out. I was able to make a friendly field, and land, but I blacked out upon touchdown and ended up stopping in the grass next to the runway..... 109 perks lost for returning the plane to the field.

My wish is to make so that severely damaged aircraft will not get a ditch so long as they land within the airfield perimeter.

Fire away gents, I know the topic of ditching on the field has come up many times before <S>  :salute
Defensor Fortis - Defenders of the Force
"INCOMING"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Engine Out Landings
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 07:47:16 PM »
That was a close one, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 08:38:08 PM »
I to believe there should be just a little bit of leeway when it comes to landing on "concrete" as a lot of player make it back to the field limping with planes missing half a wing or passing out every 2-4 seconds. Now, I can see if your plane ends up in the middle of the field between runways getting a ditch, but I cant even count how many times I have returned from a helluva fight blacking out, touched down on concrete, blacked out, and rolled off to where 3/4 of my fuselage is onm the grass and my tail is over the concrete and I get a ditch. Maybe a 10 ft (obviously to the dimensions of whatever HTC uses to judge distance) buffer on each side of the runway could be initiated  because you still did land "safely" and to get a ditch in that situation is just hard to swallow for anybody.
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 09:15:19 PM »
maybe belly land next time

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »
I to believe there should be just a little bit of leeway when it comes to landing on "concrete" as a lot of player make it back to the field limping with planes missing half a wing or passing out every 2-4 seconds. Now, I can see if your plane ends up in the middle of the field between runways getting a ditch, but I cant even count how many times I have returned from a helluva fight blacking out, touched down on concrete, blacked out, and rolled off to where 3/4 of my fuselage is onm the grass and my tail is over the concrete and I get a ditch. Maybe a 10 ft (obviously to the dimensions of whatever HTC uses to judge distance) buffer on each side of the runway could be initiated  because you still did land "safely" and to get a ditch in that situation is just hard to swallow for anybody.

He did make a decision to the actual distance, it's the edge of the runway. Today you ask him to move it out 10 feet, tomorrow the next guys that slides a 262 off the edge of the runway and gets a ditch will ask for another 5 feet.

You got a ditch, practice. Next time fly better and you'll get the little reward of a "landed safely" message. Good Luck!

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:56:54 PM »
 :noid :noid :noid Im Naked! :old: :noid :noid
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline USAF2010

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:39:43 PM »
He did make a decision to the actual distance, it's the edge of the runway. Today you ask him to move it out 10 feet, tomorrow the next guys that slides a 262 off the edge of the runway and gets a ditch will ask for another 5 feet.

You got a ditch, practice. Next time fly better and you'll get the little reward of a "landed safely" message. Good Luck!

Easy killer.

I've practiced quite a bit and I'm not trying to turn this into a crazy deboggle here. All I'm saying is add a consideration for seriously damaged aircraft... not talking about your typical landing here.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:49:02 PM by USAF2010 »
Defensor Fortis - Defenders of the Force
"INCOMING"

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 10:56:10 PM »

Poppy-cock.  He got the airplane back on the field -- it should be counted as a landing.  Anything inside the perimeter of the field should count if you survive the landing.

If we're going to be that strict then get some sticky grass so guys can't takeoff out of the hangar across the grass, or not maintain directional control on takeoff and go willy-nilly across the field until yanking it into the air.  Guys routinely land gear up and get credit for a landing.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 11:24:43 PM »
All I'm saying is add a consideration for seriously damaged aircraft... not talking about your typical landing here.
Both sides of this issue are equally valid. As noted, an arbitrary line has to be drawn and that has been done. You don't have to LIKE it, but it's reasonable, rational, and deserving of respect. There -IS- already consideration given to seriously damaged aircraft ... keep it on the runway and it doesn't matter HOW BADLY DAMAGED it is, you get full points (and retain your perkies).

There are always going to be cases of "missed it by THAT much" ... If you think the present system is inadequate, I'd suggest adding a RTB reward, that would apply to EVERY case in which the PILOT makes it back into the base perimeter, be it in a plane, a chute, or walking. Having  a trained pilot live to fight another day has value.
:)
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 12:02:42 AM »
Both sides of this issue are equally valid. As noted, an arbitrary line has to be drawn and that has been done. You don't have to LIKE it, but it's reasonable, rational, and deserving of respect. There -IS- already consideration given to seriously damaged aircraft ... keep it on the runway and it doesn't matter HOW BADLY DAMAGED it is, you get full points (and retain your perkies).

There are always going to be cases of "missed it by THAT much" ... If you think the present system is inadequate, I'd suggest adding a RTB reward, that would apply to EVERY case in which the PILOT makes it back into the base perimeter, be it in a plane, a chute, or walking. Having  a trained pilot live to fight another day has value.
YES.

Offline TheRhino

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 12:04:03 AM »
If you walk away from it, it is a landing. Unless you hit a tree or something stupid like that.  :devil
"May the Air Force be with you"

TheHawk, C.O. 457th 'Grey Nurse' SQN RAAF (Currently Inactive due to slow internet :( )

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 01:32:30 AM »

There are always going to be cases of "missed it by THAT much" ... If you think the present system is inadequate, I'd suggest adding a RTB reward, that would apply to EVERY case in which the PILOT makes it back into the base perimeter, be it in a plane, a chute, or walking. Having  a trained pilot live to fight another day has value.

I like this one  :aok

----------------------------------------------------

OR they could add lines to the line they've allready drawn.. Say, 5 lines starting from the concrete and 5ft apart out over the grass?
Like:
-0: You have landed successfully   :rock  (100% reward)  :banana:
-1: You landed, not too successfully but still..  :eek: (80% reward)
-2: You made it, barely!  :huh (60% reward)
-3: You have ditched your prop in the dirt, but your tail is fine  :ahand :aok (40% reward)
-4: You could do better!  :furious (20% reward)
-5: You have SO DITCHED!! Back to the trainer!!!  :bhead (Locked to Training Arena for 2 days)  :noid

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 01:39:15 AM by SAJ73 »
TheStig

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 01:52:48 AM »
EVERY case in which the PILOT makes it back into the base perimeter, be it in a plane, a chute, or walking. Having  a trained pilot live to fight another day has value.

Right now you can walk from a "You have been captured" to a "You have bailed successfully".

:aok

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 02:19:01 AM »
Right now you can walk from a "You have been captured" to a "You have bailed successfully". wrongway
Ahhhh ! The GREAT Escape, starring wrongway as Steve McQueen !!!
:cool:
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 06:40:33 AM »
Since so many fields in WW2 were grass, I wished long time ago that
on field area- successful landing. But nooooooo. Not happening I guess

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID