Author Topic: Joystick Accuracy  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Banana

• Zinc Member
Joystick Accuracy
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »
Hi all,

I am just wondering if someone could help me make my stick a little bit more accurate with scaling settings.

As it stands, my pipper is bouncing all over the place and i'm having a bit of a hard time : :cry

"Haters gonna Hate" - My hero, Drbone/UnclBone.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Joystick Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 06:39:33 PM »
 The 2 axii{axises} that cause the most nose bounce are the rudder and elevator.

Goto,options,controls,mapcontrols and select the rudder axis,then check the advanced box and a window will open. You can enable scaling there,you can increase deadpan and dampening also.

I'd suggest you try deadpan adjustments first as the only effect the centering on your joystick,but this may not get rid of the bounce completely. Some dampening may help also adjusting the sliders in scalling,work from left to right and make small changes and then test.

Every joystick is different and there's no 1 setting that will work,however you can make these adjustments while flying and it's relatively simple to do and you get immediate feedback.

hope this helps,best to do this offline or in the TA so no one shoots you down while make adjustments.

:salute

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:04:13 PM »
Hi all,

I am just wondering if someone could help me make my stick a little bit more accurate with scaling settings.

As it stands, my pipper is bouncing all over the place and i'm having a bit of a hard time : :cry

When I get home from work I'll post some screenshot of my stick scaling that I use. I made it when I first started playing to help eliminate nose bounce and to make flying on the edge of the envelope smoother. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:49:12 PM »
Screenshots of my stick scale.

Elevators

Ailerons

ack-ack

Offline Banana

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 10:52:50 PM »
Ack Ack i appreciate it buddy!!!!

I owe you one, Thanks so much     :cheers:       :salute

Offline MickDono

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 11:01:55 PM »
:rock

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 01:42:20 AM »

Offline Banana

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 05:57:44 AM »
Axes

;)

:D

Thanks for the info also morf   :salute

Offline WOZ30BAT

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
AKAK, is that scaling good for any plane or just your 38? And would you have a different scaling for a TNB plane vs a BNZ type? just curious.  Thanx, Sidious
IN Game: Sidious

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 02:11:50 PM »
AKAK, is that scaling good for any plane or just your 38? And would you have a different scaling for a TNB plane vs a BNZ type? just curious.  Thanx, Sidious

It will work for any plane and I don't change the scale for angles or E fighting.  It may take a couple of days to get used to as it the scale can be a little sensative when flying on the edge of the envelope so it really helps if you're not ham fisted on the controls.

ack-ack

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 10:08:32 PM »
Having Combat Trim on when flaps deployed is just one thing that can also make your piper harder to place on your target.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Beardawg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 04:58:11 PM »
 :salute  AK AK    Sir   Rudder ?   I'm not sure about it ?? please post your rudder scaling.   Thank You in advance.      :salute    Bear

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 05:18:25 PM »
:salute  AK AK    Sir   Rudder ?   I'm not sure about it ?? please post your rudder scaling.   Thank You in advance.      :salute    Bear

That might depend on if you use rudder pedals, or a twisty stick for rudder.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »
Download and run DIVew from Logitech. It will show you the axis and input from all of your USB game controllers, keyboard and mouse.

This product site for the Precision Joystick Controller BU0836 reccomends using it to check your output after building your joystick. Unzip and run it. There is no install, it just displays the output of all your devices. If you are seeing noise or bouncing on your axis from DIView it can be something in this list:

1. joystick axis potentiometer.
2. a bad USB port on your PC.
3. wrong USB port to have your device in.
4. wrong speed USB devices ganged together.
5. not enough power to your USB port or fluctuating power while playing the game.
6. processing conflicts during the game possibly due to one or several of the above problems including USB bus resets.

If you run DIView while your USB devices are sitting idle with no game controller software running and there is no bounce(noise) then you may be having processing conflicts and or power problems for that port. If you see bounching on an axis then the potentiometer is old or something in the list. My potentiometers don't bounce but occasionly during game play I notice bus resets. Thats when you seem to loose calibration or control of your axis. Who knows what causes bus resets during the game..... 

http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836/DIView.zip
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BippeeII

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »
Good to know Bustr.  Worked great with my Thrustmaster T16000.  Noticed from the app that I am getting slight movement in aerilons when trying to shift elevator only, and vice versa.  Did not expect that with brand new stick.  will try to increase deadband a bit I think.  

Also notice more nose bounce with certain maneuvers.  Diving on bombers = no noticeable bounce.  Climbing to bombers, almost out of e, and trying to level for shot from 1k out is next to impossible for me. (Also dreadfully deadly for me as the attacker)!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:49:50 PM by BippeeII »