Author Topic: Close-range tank shells  (Read 1778 times)

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
Close-range tank shells
« on: January 14, 2012, 01:53:38 PM »

Gotten into tanking / gv's for the past few months and have encountered a glitch (at least on my end) w/ tank shells at close range.  Typically I drive a T-34.  When I'm at a range of 1 - 2K or better the shells target fine.  When I'm at close range, inside say 100 - 200 meters off an enemy tank more times than not the shells literally pass straight through the hull or turret.

For the last couple of months I've been playing on an antiquated PC just slightly faster than a Commadore 64, could be a contributing factor.

Was just curious if anyone else has encountered this.

Thanks,
xxxJCxxx
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Close-range tank shells
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 02:05:30 PM »
Probably something to do with the graphics. I can't imagine its a bug in the game or anything. Possibly lag, but seems a bit unlikely.

My suggestion would be to ditch the T-34 and hop in a Panzer IV Ausf. F2.

1) same ENY = same perks earned
2) better gun = quicker kills and fewer tanks that will scare the crap out of your T-34's crew
3) better gun = longer ranged shots = no ghost round problems
4) better gun = longer ranged shooting = less deaths=more time spent playing = more fun
5) its german  :cheers:.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 02:25:23 PM »
I haven't seen shells pass through the target, but I've been convinced for some time that from within 300 yards or so hits are less effective.

I see hit sprites but a shot that would normally be a kill from @ the 800 - 1000 yard mark seems to do nothing up close.

I also suspect that it may just be my perception in the heat of an "Ahhhhh!! I'm gonna die!!!" battle moment.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:33:13 PM »
I've actually been in tanks when the bad guy's round goes through my engine/hull. It just erved as a warning to me that he was getting too close... Ironwood shrub, here I come!!!

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 02:48:18 PM »

I will give german tanks a try.  When I first started tanking, I chose the Panzer.  I don't remember if I had this issue or not (slept since then).

Most of these occur when the enemy tank is so close it fills 60-70% of the sights.  At times there's a big birm directly on the other side of him & see the round pass without a hit sprite then poof directly behind him in the birm.

Insert dancing banana for added effect  :banana:

A snappy  :salute for your input

xxxJCxxx 
xxxJCxxx

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »
I've encountered the same bug... it seems to be most prolific if hitting at the bottom of the turret/top of the side area of the tank.  The shell will pass right between the turret and the treads.  Front or rear shots don't seem to do this.  I'll have a side shot go right through the tank, and actually see the puff of dirt go up behind the tank where my shell hit.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:10:40 PM »
Some appear to hit, when they really don't - tank shells arn't the size of the tank, what appears to be a hit, might instead be a glancing blow off the armor, rear shots are most common with ricochets, or bad angle shots.

If you film it - you can review the film at a slower speed and see exactly where you hit, more often then none - you either glanced off the armor, or completely missed, however the hit sprites do happen, even if its not a kill shot.
JG 52

Offline shermanjr

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 05:14:43 PM »
or many times ur round will penitrate but wont do any damage ( kill gunners drivers explode ammo stores...)
475th fg dgs
404th fighter group Winter SKy Deth ground
361 st fg
1st pursuit squadron avg
+flyingfury+ main arena
in game name pattonjr

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 05:16:09 PM »
or many times ur round will penitrate but wont do any damage ( kill gunners drivers explode ammo stores...)

I don't recall ever having a driver/gunner killed, be interesting if our damage model included this.
JG 52

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 05:23:50 PM »
I've had it say my driver is wounded, but it always results in an automatic, all-expense-paid trip to the tower.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 05:32:27 PM »
Happens to me all the time. It's a load of bs
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 05:44:15 PM »
  Seems it has been happening of late. The Tank I shot in TT PMed me and said "I couldn't believed you missed me". Round went though turret and disappeared. There was a hill behind him and no dirt splash seen.

Of course his Tank didn't suffer from same affliction.  :uhoh
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »
probably tank's not really there when ya squeeze the shot off.  IMO :salute
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
probably tank's not really there when ya squeeze the shot off.  IMO :salute

Oh he's there alright lol.  Cause as soon as my "phantom shell" does zero damage the enemy turret draws a bead on my tank and I get that all expense paid one-way trip to the :lol tower !
xxxJCxxx

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »
I am going to take Butcher's advice and film some sorties and review from different angles & film speeds.  When It does happen, I do not see hit sprites.  My ricochet shots always produce a hit sprite with the shell glancing off in one direction or another, but not directly behind the target (continued path of the shot). 

In one side of the armor, through the driver's Battlestar Galactica lunchbox & out the other side
.   :confused:
xxxJCxxx