Author Topic: Close-range tank shells  (Read 1774 times)

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Close-range tank shells
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 08:06:11 PM »
I don't recall ever having a driver/gunner killed, be interesting if our damage model included this.

Definitely a +1 to improved tank damage.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »
Definitely a +1 to improved tank damage.

I dont see anything wrong with the modeling, I get nasty pm's from time to time about some bs shot I made, or how he hit me so many times I should be dead...

But I have a pretty good understand of shell penetration at different ranges, amour thickness, and how the all important deflection works.

I have a feeling most dont understand how all of these factor in together and assume if they hit a take and see a sprite that that means it should=a kill.  But that isnt the reality of things

Offline B-17

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 09:15:27 PM »
Well, it'd be kinda fun to have an oil/gas tank pinged and holed, then drive away leaving a ver precise trail, don't you think?

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 09:17:07 PM »
Well, it'd be kinda fun to have an oil/gas tank pinged and holed, then drive away leaving a ver precise trail, don't you think?

Oh, you meant more variation of damaged received.  Yeah that would be nice to have

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2012, 09:45:27 PM »
Ever notice it happens more so on the first point blank shot but not the second or third?  That seems to be the case in my situation.  Me thinks HTC has modeled something in to the game regarding the [insert proper term here], the phenomenon where the projectile it going too fast and shatters on impact instead of performing.  Until HTC says differently that is how I'll role play the issue anyways.   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2012, 11:30:44 PM »
I've encounte :lolred the same bug... it seems to be most prolific if hitting at the bottom of the turret/top of the side area of the tank.  The shell will pass right between the turret and the treads.  Front or rear shots don't seem to do this.  I'll have a side shot go right through the tank, and actually see the puff of dirt go up behind the tank where my shell hit.
Ever notice it happens more so on the first point blank shot but not the second or third?  That seems to be the case in my situation.  Me thinks HTC has modeled something in to the game regarding the [insert proper term here], the phenomenon where the projectile it going too fast and shatters on impact instead of performing.  Until HTC says differently that is how I'll role play the issue anyways.   ;)

Roleplay?  Like Nazi and the farm girl?
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 12:38:25 AM »
Roleplay?  Like Nazi and the farm girl?

More like the Scotsman and and the sheep.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »

First, second, third on the same tank or just consecutive targets?

Cumulative damage?

I've also noticed that there are definitely specific spots to hit to get a sure kill, which I miss quite often.

Have you ever seen the shadow most tanks throw? There's a HUGE gap between the body and turret.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2012, 04:11:18 PM »
Its wierd. I've only had problems with killing tanks twice in my entire AH carreer. Both were definite hacks (multiple [as in upwars of 10] AP shells into all areas of the vehicle. Turret, driver's possition, engine, ammo rack areas, you name it).

Only other time I've even seen some screwy stuff going on is when I survived 3 88mm rounds from a Tiger I in a T-34/76, and then one-shotted him as he pulled across my line of fire. This was back around 2008 or so.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 04:20:57 PM »
I landed 34 hits on a TigerII from my tiger and watched someone else put a bunch more into him.

I got tired of waiting so I flanked him, parked nearby hidden, left keyboard and earned the kill AFK.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 12:59:23 PM »
I've seen this happen.  I assume it's a graphics glitch.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Iraqvet

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2012, 03:37:43 PM »
I will add some of my observations, as I spend most of my time in a Gv.
It is possible even at close range to miss or deflect a shot if not placed properly

I have told people this but they don't listen, you have to have proper range. I hear them complain that they placed round after round on target to no effect, when in fact they were just bouncing/deflecting shells.

A "small" white burst means you did not penetrate with your shot. In fact if you watch closely you will sometimes see the shot deflected nearby on the ground etc.

A "larger" more pronounced white burst means you have hit it at correct range and it has penetrated.....usually one to two shots will be all it takes. If you are seeing small white bursts you are not ranged properly, it means your rounds are too far out...in effect your shell is bouncing off. If this happens you need to dial your scope back a few notches/ ie decrease range....shoot and you will make proper contact with tank downrange....this applies for close up as well.

Tigers/Panthers have thicker armor in the front and are best shot low on the side or in the rear. 1 shot in the side is all it takes to kill them. If they are facing you and you are shooting round after round....deflecting all you are doing is giving away your position and will soon be dead if they have you dialed in.  The solution for this is proper flanking and popping them in the side. 

I will stop there givin my gv knowledge away. :salute

This would be a large burst from my tour in....Iraq 2003
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:00:29 PM by Iraqvet »
***The Perk Tank Snuff***
HHC 1-502nd "Strike" Infantry 101st Airborne Division Air Assault!
The very essence of leadership is its purpose. The purpose of leadership is to accomplish a task. That is what leadership does and what it does is more important than what it is or how it works

Offline Iraqvet

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2012, 03:39:50 PM »
ok how do you add pictures....apparently it did not work above
The very essence of leadership is its purpose. The purpose of leadership is to accomplish a task. That is what leadership does and what it does is more important than what it is or how it works

Offline Iraqvet

• Copper Member
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 04:09:39 PM by Iraqvet »

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2012, 05:05:09 PM »
I have films gallore of this. i posted a few a while back. I've had it happen at over 2Kyds before so it's not just limited to close range, though it does occur more frequently at close range.

Everytime this is brought up everyone wants to blame it on lag. But lag has nothing to do with this. If it had been happening since GV's were introduced then MAYBE we could blame it on lag but it hasn't been going on that long. I don't remember when it started but it was after one of the big updates. It's a bug somewhere in the coding and I guess HTC hasn't found it yet. I would love to see it fixed though, probably half my deaths come from not killing someone on the first shot because my round went through them :bhead