Author Topic: Why the Icon Range Change for GV's?  (Read 8744 times)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: Why the Icon Range Change for GV's?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 09:40:14 PM »
Humans only have depth perception out to, IIRC, about 50ft.  Beyond that our eyes are too close together to do much for us so we rely on other cues to gauge range.

That said, I see a lot better in reality than I do on my monitor.

OK.

I'm clueless.   :joystick:

:aok

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 11:22:57 PM »
I've been waiting for this "Rant" to be.

Reading the OP.. Looks a bit more like a simple and respectful question really. But hey, It's your 15 bucks <S> Tar

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 11:38:52 PM »
HTC doesn't give you anything to bomb...... So that means that its the GV'ers JOB to be targets for you? Sorry but your logic is off.

LOL. This is the stupidest repeat whine this game keeps coming out with. If you don't want to be bombed don't play a game with lots of planes with bombs on them. Simple really, every time someone whines like this it just gets worse because your tears feed the bomb****s.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 12:46:57 AM »
Phatzo, you misunderstand. He's saying "no fair, GV's are there just to be bombed, since they took the strats away". I'm saying they're not, which is 100% correct.

And as to its being 'stupid', I just have to say that you bomb twits have it easy, and I mean REAL easy, compared to real life in WWII. If you get icons, the ability to use bombers out of their intended role, multiple bombers to control so you can screw up twice and still keep flying, no restrictions on what you do, then quit whining about the icon range being slightly reduced (and it is SLIGHTLY reduced).

But I do agree with AWwrgwy, that we shouldn't remove icons COMPLETLY since we can't see nearly as well in the game as we can in real life. But I still think that the ~1200yds is still pretty generous, I would say 1000yds is a good balance.

pd37, your bombs are more effective when they miss than they were in real life. HTC seems (based on in-game observations) to have given the bombs a set damage value, that decreases as the blast expands outward, untill it disipates to zero. Bombs either do damage to all targets (again, this is based off in-game observations) regardless of if they're armored or not, or penetrate any thickness of armor. They also seem to have given GV's a set damage threshold, which, upon being reached, kills them.

This means that a miss can still kill a tank because it happened to be within the radius of the blast where the damage done by the bomb is equal to or greater than the tank's damage threshold, even if a miss at that range in reall life wouldn't have destroyed a tank.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 04:04:57 AM »
I want MOAR realism!
We must have the unreliable rushed into service Tiger's that at kursk that overheated and set themselves aflame!
Also I want the Panzers from Stalingrad that had no fuel, these will suit the camper as they spawn to a stand still.

/sarcasm
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Zeagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 04:59:29 AM »
I think the range change is good. GV's can now hide. Personally, I don't think enemy GV's even need to show an icon.
We also have the Storch to help with spotting which will be interesting I think.

wtg HTC
-Zeagle-
"Black 1"

FW-ISS Bremen

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 08:29:45 AM »
I will throw some more wood on this fire.  I think kill shooter should be on if a friendly drops on a friendly tank. I would rather have it where the friendly would kill the friendly if they accurately drop on them, but we all know how that would be abused.

The example of this is when an enemy and friendly tank are on different sides of a berm or building.  This would require the friendly bomber to be a bit more careful in their drop.  It would also keep the heavy bombers from carpet bombing a base when both enemy and friendly tanks are fighting on the field. 

:bolt:

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 08:49:44 AM »
   I see dots moving on the ground now in AH without Icons. The new range still won't protect you from the IL2 Dweebs.
   I look forward to less GV whine and more bomb**** whine.  :rock
   I feel a GV party coming on.  :banana:

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 10:52:22 AM »
Everyone who disagrees with it should ban together and do nothing but bomb GVs for a whole month.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56:29 AM »
LOL. This is the stupidest repeat whine this game keeps coming out with. If you don't want to be bombed don't play a game with lots of planes with bombs on them. Simple really.

:aok
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2012, 11:37:50 AM »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:48 AM »
Well gv's are there to be bombed and straffed and rocketed. But for me the change is welcome. It was/is far too easy to spot gv's under cover IMO.

GV Icons were/are over informative IMO.

I like the idea of icon range being linked to gv movement.

I welcome the Storch. I am not sure about the icon range being linked to plane type. For me it would be better linked to plane speed. Such that any ac able to float around at less than 100 for more than a few seconds gets a better range whilst below that speed. If icon range could be truely inversely proportional to ac speed then all the better ........ It would still favour the Storch IMO.

OH YEA and get rid of chute icons totally please..........
Ludere Vincere

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »
The new aircraft to gv icon ranges are WONDERFUL!!!  It tips the hat towards realism and away from the arcade gamey feel.    :aok

BTW, the new gv icon ranges for regular aircraft are 650-ish (600+) for stopped gv's, 1250-ish (1.0k+) for moving gv's.  While in a Storch, the ranges are 1750-ish (1.5k+) for a stopped gv and 2750-ish (2.5k+) for a moving gv.  

A few notes for future Storch pilots: it is really easy to get a PW, so keep your distance from the pintle guns.  Also, your speed is something that really needs to be watched for 2 reasons: if you have the engine governor off (off = slightly more normal speed) you will blow your engine quite easily.  Also, the wings and rudder are easily ripped off at excessive speeds (120+ mph), and tight maneuvers are tough on it at higher speeds too.  Keep it less than 100 mph and you can do almost anything.            

Also.. I understand about the aircraft speed = icon range argument, but my counter to that is role and optics.  The Storch's role was to find and mark the enemy for the attacking forces.  Also, spotter aircraft had binocs to use, and fighter pilots did not.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:38:14 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 12:56:36 PM »
Waits for the "This is Aces high" comment...

I haven't downloaded the beta, but agree that GV'ing needed some help. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org