Author Topic: Why the Icon Range Change for GV's?  (Read 8848 times)

Offline pd37

• Zinc Member
Why the Icon Range Change for GV's?
« on: January 17, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »
Was wondering what the motivation was to change the icon range for aircraft to see ground vehicles?

I will rant only a bit and then let the queston be answered.

The Strats where changed and that affected those of us who enjoyed Dive Bombing. Making it impossible to do any dive bombing  other than hangars, targets shifted to GV's. Now, the icon range is being played with, and giving the gv's a more than fair advantage. If it is based on whether or not you can see a tank from 4500 feet, I can assure you it is not hard to do.

So What gives?

a bomb**** wants to know, lol

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
Re: Why the Icon Range Change for GV's?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
 :x :x :x HiTech says ...no more bomb****s! :x Im Naked :O :x
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 05:39:29 PM »
In the Beta arena, I observed it at 600yds above ground level, which makes wirblwinds a terror now because if you are 800 feet up you can't see the icon.

I was messing around and sat a wirbl, which doesn't loose its icon range for planes.
JG 52

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 05:44:11 PM »
Was wondering what the motivation was to change the icon range for aircraft to see ground vehicles?

I will rant only a bit and then let the queston be answered.

The Strats where changed and that affected those of us who enjoyed Dive Bombing. Making it impossible to do any dive bombing  other than hangars, targets shifted to GV's. Now, the icon range is being played with, and giving the gv's a more than fair advantage. If it is based on whether or not you can see a tank from 4500 feet, I can assure you it is not hard to do.

So What gives?

a bomb**** wants to know, lol

I call BS there. If anything it will be somewhat fair now. The planes have had the upper hand for as long as I've been playing and I think it's great that HTC if finally doing something to address the issue, since tank bombing has gotten so out of control.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 05:45:46 PM »
You can still see tanks/AA tracers, so it's not as "game-breaking" as you think it might be.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 05:46:14 PM »
since tank bombing has gotten so out of control.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAH AHAHAHAHAHAH
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »
good change :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 05:49:58 PM »
You can still see tanks/AA tracers, so it's not as "game-breaking" as you think it might be.

What he said.

Also, the range change is from 1500 to 1250 AND the Storch will have a gv icon visibility range of 3k so it may actually be worse for ground pounders.

On the plus side, if you're not moving or under cover there is no icon (I think).

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 06:00:01 PM »
HTC doesn't give you anything to bomb...... So that means that its the GV'ers JOB to be targets for you? Sorry but your logic is off.

1) if you've ever played a tank, you know that when aircraft are present, they're the A number 1 threat to you. If you're in a high-perk tank, they're damn near the ONLY threat to you.

2) Icons are about as unrealistic as you can get. Yes, a group of moving GV's kicking up dust wouldn't hard to spot from the air, even when doing 350. But a single GV sitting still back in a stand of trees would never be spotted by a low alt fighter-bomber.

3) go bomb a base or a CV. Its what I use MY Ju-87 for.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 06:10:36 PM »
If a rook is looking at a bish tank through a set of trees does the bish tank see the same trees when he is looking back at the rook tank? If not than trying to hide and fight in gv's is pretty moot anyway. If you are in the air just fly higher until you know you have a target.   :airplane:
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline pd37

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
well I for one enjoy the close air support for friendly gv's that includes bombing tanks and the like who play(IMHO) dirty pool by spawn camping. Tank Ace,  youare correct, I switched to gv's because I can fly to them from a near by base bomb and return. I could do that with the strats but htat changed and so did I. I concede your point in reference to a stationary vehicle. However, I also know that A LOT of tanks were busted by aircraft, and the ratio of aircraft downed by tracked AA is minute in comparison..

It has the apperance that HTC has played to the hand of complaints from GV'ers and weighed it heavier in their favor.  As if a Tiger taking a 1000lbs to bust wasnt enough to help aut the perk users now they are going to make it impossible to see them.. like anything else, I will have to adapt.. Was just wondering what the motivation was..

<S> Fellas

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »
Bombing a GV should have some risk...it appears that now there will be some.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 08:41:34 PM »
I've been waiting for this "Rant" to be.

Everyone screams make it Real.....more realism!  It's amazing how many stories I've read about WWII pilots AND their "Icons"!  The ability to identify their targets because the targets were "Icon'ed".  I also read how many pilots became so pssted because Command decided to reduce the Icon range (yes I'm being quite sarcastic!).

You want to play a game, then may I suggest "Go Buy One" and break out your Play Station.  You want to play something a little more realistic, Welcome to HTC!  NOW, you have to depend on ground control to take it to the bad guys on the ground..........JUST as it was in the day.  They spot it, advise it, then YOU MUST spot it....and hope the hell you're not dropping on friendlies.........just as it was back then.

Your whine lacks.....both in taste, and in reality.

<S>
Rokit
SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »
I've been waiting for this "Rant" to be.

Everyone screams make it Real.....more realism!  It's amazing how many stories I've read about WWII pilots AND their "Icons"!  The ability to identify their targets because the targets were "Icon'ed".  I also read how many pilots became so pssted because Command decided to reduce the Icon range (yes I'm being quite sarcastic!).

You want to play a game, then may I suggest "Go Buy One" and break out your Play Station.  You want to play something a little more realistic, Welcome to HTC!  NOW, you have to depend on ground control to take it to the bad guys on the ground..........JUST as it was in the day.  They spot it, advise it, then YOU MUST spot it....and hope the hell you're not dropping on friendlies.........just as it was back then.

Your whine lacks.....both in taste, and in reality.

<S>
Rokit

You left out Blue on Blue incidents.

Anyway....

When I can tell a Rook T-34/85 from a Bish T34/85 and my depth perception suddenly begins to work on my monitor you can do away with icons.

Otherwise, I have no problems with the upcoming changes whatsoever.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 09:38:26 PM »
and my depth perception suddenly begins to work on my monitor you can do away with icons.

wrongway
Humans only have depth perception out to, IIRC, about 50ft.  Beyond that our eyes are too close together to do much for us so we rely on other cues to gauge range.

That said, I see a lot better in reality than I do on my monitor.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-