Author Topic: More cracks in scarebus wings  (Read 3440 times)

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: More cracks in scarebus wings
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 11:48:43 PM »
It is the titanic of the skies IMO
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 01:57:34 AM »
Your patriotism seems to exceed your critical objectivity by some considerable measure young man  :old:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 02:03:35 AM »
Your patriotism seems to exceed your critical objectivity by some considerable measure young man  :old:

Did you read the entire article? One of the Aussies said he wouldn't put his family on one. My patriotism has nothing to do with it. As a pilot and someone with a little bit of common sense I wouldn't fly in one. The immense loads that wing is bearing boggle my mind, and I wouldn't want one weakened by cracks. I like my airplanes aluminum, thank you.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 02:13:26 AM »
I agree with Tupac but I'm still impressed by the British Aerospace industry and it's ability to pull off impressive planes like the 380.  They also put the 1st jetliner into service as well as the SST to ever be successful.

I have no doubt that they'll either make it right or get it right next time.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 02:19:39 AM »
That's okay, they'll fix it. A lot of airplanes had problems that made them dangerous, it does not mean that they will never be safe. I'm sure you know about the problem the 172 had when the seats would slide back on take off causing a crash, yet you still fly one. That's because FAA issued an AD for it (as far as I remember) and now the seats attach differently.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 02:22:31 AM »
Oh I'm sorry, I mistook your statement: 'If it ain't Boeing I ain't going', and your using the word: 'scarebus' in your thread title to imply you were subjectively deriding the efforts of other nations while simultaneously enhancing those of your own.

The article says cracks were found in "non-critical" brackets.

Why would you want your aircraft only made of 'Aluminum' when there are now stronger and lighter materials available?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 02:25:01 AM »
That's okay, they'll fix it. A lot of airplanes had problems that made them dangerous, it does not mean that they will never be safe. I'm sure you know about the problem the 172 had when the seats would slide back on take off causing a crash, yet you still fly one. That's because FAA issued an AD for it (as far as I remember) and now the seats attach differently.

Latches are still designed the same way. We just need to have it inspected every 100 hours.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 02:29:03 AM »
Why would you want your aircraft only made of 'Aluminum' when there are now stronger and lighter materials available?

Because repeatedly the composite materials have proven to be less than ideal? Remember when the tail snapped off of the airbus? The pilot was below maneuvering speed and should have been able to move any control in any direction he wanted.

How many composite airplanes will be flying around in 40 years?

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 02:30:43 AM »
My ALUMINUM airplane is 46 years old showing no signs of its age.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 02:35:11 AM »
Latches are still designed the same way. We just need to have it inspected every 100 hours.

Okay I'm not that familiar with the Cessna. But still, something did change. A380 will be fine after they take care of the fleet.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 02:35:28 AM »
If it aint boeing I aint going

I like my airplanes aluminum, thank you.

Ummmm... yea...   hey, what's the 787 made out of again?  :rolleyes:  Not to mention many of the control surfaces of the 757, 767 and 777.

Wood, steel, aluminum, or Composite...   it's all sixes really, if properly manufactured and maintained they are all perfectly safe.  If they are not then they all can fail.  Composite construction is the future however, you either need to get over your irrational fear of it, or be consigned to never fly in a modern aircraft.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 02:40:56 AM »
Because repeatedly the composite materials have proven to be less than ideal?

Well now I am confused as to the role you are adopting with this comment. Are you speaking as a pilot, an engineer or a consumer?

In 40 years composites will likely comprise the majority of the construction material (unless something better comes along).

Citing specific examples of this failure or that does not generalise to anything useful. Many many aircraft, including those constructed by Boing go through these kinds of issues when they enter service. You should perhaps take it as an indication of how difficult it is to design and produce aircraft and realise how demanding it is of present technology.

If you are a pilot then you already do in fact already trust aerospace engineering and those institutions which monitor them implicitly with your life and the life of your passengers every time you take off. So please stop with the insinuations that European engineers can't be trusted.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 02:42:12 AM »
Because repeatedly the composite materials have proven to be less than ideal? Remember when the tail snapped off of the airbus? The pilot was below maneuvering speed and should have been able to move any control in any direction he wanted.

Composite aircraft have not had the chance to prove their life expectancy yet but I think it should be fine. You mentioned that you like Boeing's reliable airplanes, 787 is made of composites. USAF is buying composite aircraft these days, I doubt they would do that if they would have a low life expectancy. And another thing, almost every aircraft manufacturer is using composite materials, there has got to be a reason why.  
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 02:43:11 AM »
Now not to knock Cirrus or Diamond they both make an incredibly fine product and I have no doubt some of them will be flying a long ways down the road, but they aren't subject to the incredible weights that the A380 incurs. I just hope the 787 doesn't run into problems.

I've never flown in a Boeing that sounds like it had someone's bowling ball collection rolling around under the floor. I shouldn't have said "If it ain't Boeing I ain't going" because I will gladly fly any Beech, Cessna, Cirrus, Diamond, Fairchild, Aeronca, American Champion, Piper, Rockwell, Bellanca, Flight Design, Grumman, Jabiru, Lancair, etc