Author Topic: More cracks in scarebus wings  (Read 3654 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: More cracks in scarebus wings
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2012, 12:59:35 PM »
Not that you can see, anyways.   ;)   

When you have an advanced aeronautical engineering degree then perhaps you can comment further.  Until then, all you say regarding the matter is an opinion.  Remember that. 

Actually, he can see.  They are called inspection plates for a reason.  There are also long-reach cameras with flexible heads that can be used for inspection.

In addition, one does not need an engineering degree to assess the airworthiness  of an aircraft, just an A & P license or in my case as a homebuilder, a repairman's certificate for that individual aircraft.   :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2012, 01:39:42 PM »
I could argue the point about the bus ride all day.

As far as little or no thinking necessary, I disagree as well. People don't care because they don't know any better. Doesn't mean it doesn't matter.

As far as airline safety statistics go, if you look at it on a PER-TRIP basis, it is more safe than driving. Granted. I will concede that.
However, if you look at it on a PASSENGER-MILE basis, it is many times more dangerous than driving. It's all in how you look at the numbers. And since I am only one passenger, I go with the latter statistics.

The airlines' decisions are based on money. If you think it's based on something else, have another glass of cool-aid.

Obviously you don't consider fleet commonality and maintenance to be money issues.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 01:41:53 PM by PR3D4TOR »
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline AHTbolt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Bring back the Ford tri-motor.
AWWWWW CRAP YOU SHOT WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the desert somewhere west of Kuwait 1991.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »
Yes you are right. No Boeing has ever crashed due to design flaws or maintenance issues resulting in mechanical failure. (Image removed from quote.)

What'd I say?  Just keep talking.  How many ABs have fallen outa the sky, and during that same timespance Boeings?  Fail.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2012, 04:06:15 PM »
Actually, he can see.  They are called inspection plates for a reason.  There are also long-reach cameras with flexible heads that can be used for inspection.

In addition, one does not need an engineering degree to assess the airworthiness  of an aircraft, just an A & P license or in my case as a homebuilder, a repairman's certificate for that individual aircraft.   :aok
[/quote

I assess the airworthiness of an airplane everytime I fly it. It doesn't need to be declared unairworthy to actually be unairworthy. My rotating beacon quit rotating one day and that was an airworthiness issue. My red light on my left wingtip wasnt working one day and I was about to go on a night flight - airworthiness issue (for night flying)

There are alot of things that can make an airplane unairworthy, most of them trivial, but if someone from the FSDO catches you flying an obviously unairworthy airplane you got some 'splainin to do.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »
What'd I say?  Just keep talking.  How many ABs have fallen outa the sky, and during that same timespance Boeings?  Fail.

Worldwide aircraft commercial passenger service as of 2009:

Percent of all aircraft:
Boeing 24.6%
Airbus 9.6%

Percent of seats:
Boeing 49.1%
Airbus 30.5%

Aircraft with 75 seats or more:
Percent of aircraft:
Boeing 49.9%
Airbus 32.4%

Percent of seats:
Boeing 54.1%
Airbus 33.6%

Accidents involving scheduled passenger operations:
1945 through 2008:
Boeing: 21.9%
Airbus: 4.3%

Last 5 years:
Boeing 25.0%
Airbus 13.8%
DeHaviland 10.5%
McDonnell-Douglas 8.9%

Last 5 years, aircraft with 75 seats or more:
Boeing 45.2%
Airbus 25.0%
McDonnell-Douglas 16.1%
Tupolev 4.8%
Fokker 4.8%
Avro 3.0%
Ilyushin 0.6%
Embraer 0.6%

Embraer has 2.7% of aircraft (1.4% of seats), and 2.6% of accidents in the last 5 years.

Boeing percentages exclude McDonnell-Douglas aircraft.
Accident counts exclude war risk claims (hijacking, shot down and sabotage).

Total accidents since 1945: 2,994 (891 with one or more pax fatality)
Total last 5 years: 304 (49 with one or more pax fatality)
Total last 5 yrs, > 75 seats: 168 (26 with one or more pax fatality)

Source: Aircraft insurance industry database 1/4/09

Little known fact: Airbus is actually older than Boeing. Boeing has just kept the same name since 1916.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2012, 04:17:26 PM »

and how many ABs were flying around in 1945?
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2012, 04:25:01 PM »
I know attention spans are short these days, but read on til you reach the "Last 5 years" section.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2012, 04:28:14 PM »
and how many ABs were flying around in 1945?

And that means what today?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2012, 04:30:46 PM »
And that means what today?

absolutely nothing, that is my point.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2012, 04:34:28 PM »
Did you read the "Last 5 years" section this time? I know it must be a chore for you since you failed to read it the first time I posted it in this thread.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »
Did you read the "Last 5 years" section this time? I know it must be a chore for you since you failed to read it the first time I posted it in this thread.

I read them, and I still don't see your point.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2012, 04:38:44 PM »
Babalonian asked.

What'd I say?  Just keep talking.  How many ABs have fallen outa the sky, and during that same timespance Boeings?  Fail.

Fail indeed!  :aok
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 04:41:59 PM by PR3D4TOR »

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2012, 04:42:03 PM »
More boeings are falling out of the sky because more of them are flying around. I bet if you excluded all of the airlines operated in 3rd world countries the differences between the 2 would be absolutely negligable. I dont think there are very many 40 year old ABs flying around but there are plenty of 40 year old 737s flying around being operated in 3rd world countries. You can buy one for next to nothing. That's also about how much mx they do on them - next to nothing.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »
Oh there are plenty of old A300 series from the '70s still flying.