Author Topic: Influx of new players  (Read 3509 times)

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
Re: Influx of new players
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2012, 07:59:19 AM »
by giving new players a hard time--alt f4--no help--or being mean--is messing with hitech's money.more players mean more money...more money to upgrade the game..i would not like it if somebody was messing with my paycheck---and where i live--texas--i pay 16.95 a month----just saying
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2012, 08:13:08 AM »
  Is there someway to direct New Players to the training arena? I help them all the time on the help channel but some need more help than can be given in a few sentences.

CAN'T TAKE OFF!
    HOW TO FLY!
    WHAT I DO?
    WHERE IS EVERYBODY?
    HOW DO I DROP BOMBS?
    HOW TO FIRE ROCKETS?
    and then of course after they finally take off.....(on Help Channel) I am in Bombers headed to X base. Try to inform them "Help Channel Enemy can read" but they ignore me and I give up.

Maybe a message to direct noobs to Training Arena would help instead of annoying players in the MA and decreasing frustration of 2 weekers that may drive them away.   

I think this comes with the age group, anyone under 18 whose attention span doesn't last more then 15 seconds won't bother to ask the right questions, last night I had a guy ask on country when did the trainers pop on in the TA - I told him its best to contact one via the BBS, unless he wanted an unofficial trainer, which he didn't care. Took in the TA and did a few minutes with him, mainly the basics and he got it down pretty good.

Had came prepared with a pen and paper to write stuff down, I told him instead of trying to absorb the entire game as quick as he can, test out each area of the game until you get a firm understanding of the field - for example he wanted to learn level bombing, we practiced taking off with a heavy load, then on his second try got the calibration down.

Only took one hour, but I am quite sure he will do well. I think if everyone stops by TA to learn 1 hour in each of the fields of the game (Ground, bombing, ACM) it would be much more effective then getting overly frustrated for nothing.

JG 52

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »
I think this comes with the age group, anyone under 18 whose attention span doesn't last more then 15 seconds won't bother to ask the right questions, last night I had a guy ask on country when did the trainers pop on in the TA - I told him its best to contact one via the BBS, unless he wanted an unofficial trainer, which he didn't care. Took in the TA and did a few minutes with him, mainly the basics and he got it down pretty good.

Had came prepared with a pen and paper to write stuff down, I told him instead of trying to absorb the entire game as quick as he can, test out each area of the game until you get a firm understanding of the field - for example he wanted to learn level bombing, we practiced taking off with a heavy load, then on his second try got the calibration down.

Only took one hour, but I am quite sure he will do well. I think if everyone stops by TA to learn 1 hour in each of the fields of the game (Ground, bombing, ACM) it would be much more effective then getting overly frustrated for nothing.

And he'll never forget it either....I remember mine....Ghosth and Rodent57
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
And he'll never forget it either....I remember mine....Ghosth and Rodent57

Widewing for me :)
JG 52

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »
I normally try to be helpful, but will also follow-up help with:  You can check what all the keys do, as well as change them to what you'd like them to do in Options -> Controls ->Keymapping

Or wherever it is...

They normally don't listen, but at least I'm pointing them in the right direction.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2012, 11:08:01 AM »
I normally try to be helpful, but will also follow-up help with:  You can check what all the keys do, as well as change them to what you'd like them to do in Options -> Controls ->Keymapping

Or wherever it is...

They normally don't listen, but at least I'm pointing them in the right direction.

I remember Rowdy telling me to set my views up...meh I thought...4 months later, I set my views up.  I sure wished I would have listened.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2012, 04:56:54 AM »
Noobs are the future of any game.

I'll be hosting a support group for guys who like to be careful with carriers only to have them given away by some noob and his SBD.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2012, 07:37:33 AM »
Noobs are the future of any game.

I'll be hosting a support group for guys who like to be careful with carriers only to have them given away by some noob and his SBD.

True but you can't blame them.  All they want to do is get into the action as fast as they can and they don't know the nuances of the game well enough to keep themselves and others from slaughter.

It happens to vets too!  The other night, Dodger and I were toolin around and saw a CV heading to an enemy port...we decided to up and start a fight only to hear "Not yet Dodger, we aren't close enough yet".  We didn't look to see 15 guys sitting on this CV waiting to lift to take the port!  It was funny.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2012, 08:21:04 AM »
oh I know.  I think its the way that 99% of us learn that it's generally frowned upon.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2012, 11:21:20 AM »
Artlaw was the my Obiwan  :aok  That has to go back a few years and haven't seen that name in years.  You are right, they will never forget.   :cheers:

:salute All of the great squad websites and developers who have done a great job, and of course all the AHWiki folks.  I can't tell you how many times that I have run across Soda's information.

Just last night I came across Krusty's NEW skin catalog.  Very nicely done  :salute  It immediately went on my browser tool bar along with AHEvents and HTC home page. 

I would have to say that AH must have the best community of players, ever.  The forums and the chat buffers don't even begin to show the big hearts of the guys that you could be flying next to anytime.

Lethrnck,
You are the tops for helping out a brother in need.  Your deeds will never be forgotten, and I hope they shall come back to you ten fold.  :cheers:

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2012, 12:02:20 PM »
oh I know.  I think its the way that 99% of us learn that it's generally frowned upon.

Then...  After many many years...  Those frowners suddenly have an epiphany and realize that the noob in the SBD pays the same monthly subscription rate ans has just as much right to use that carrier as anyone else in the game.  Including the war winnerz...

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2012, 12:14:46 PM »
Meh... I say leave it. It's a windows command. Like was said here:

I've been using Alt-F4 to kill programs since Windows 3.1.  Don't kids get computer classes in school anymore?

I wasn't aware of it at the time when I was first introduced to it (many years before AH), but I have learned a lot since then. It was simply a sign that I didn't know nearly as much as I thought I knew. I regularly do things that were taught to me in basic intro-level computer classes (like how to use MS Word, putting borders on tables in Excel, etc) and have people asking me how I know these things.

My first thought is: How can you NOT?

I would be against kicking somebody for typing alt-f4 in the buffer. No matter how juvennile you may think it is, it's a valid key combo and a windows shortcut. I'd rather HTC did nothing to it, but i fhe DID just trap the key press so it does nothing. It's kind of inconsiderate to kick people for typing something.

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »
I just signed up my 9year old son. Known as KamoriJr for now.  Amazing how quick kids learn.

Kam

Offline SHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2012, 04:56:49 PM »
I just signed up my 9year old son. Known as KamoriJr for now.  Amazing how quick kids learn.

Kam

And Who's gonna Train him? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLZeL59gfc&NR=1&feature=fvwp <<--My Favorite Band

If it takes full power to taxi to the hanger, your gear is probably up.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2012, 05:06:17 PM »
I've forgotten more than I ever learned .... but that was easy .... I didn't learn that much. Honestly, I learned more about the culture and community than I'll ever retain regarding ACM ... and whatever managed to stick, regarding ACM, doesn't mean I can actually replicate it in the game.

The most important thing I've retained: Have fun, man ... it's not real ... and you should be glad of that.

That and: You'll make friends in this game that you'll probably have for life. Probably a few enemies too (but, in the long run, you'll both probably buy each other booze at the next con you both happen to make it to at the same time).

Geez - my points and stats are dreadful! (lol)