Author Topic: Tank Rounds Not Hitting At 100-200 Yards  (Read 359 times)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
Tank Rounds Not Hitting At 100-200 Yards
« on: January 20, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »
I had this happen last night.  I was in a Flakpanzer, the other person was in a T34.  No obstructions.  I had a clear LoS.  Turrent wasn't elevated.  Aimed at the middle of his tank.  Fired twice - no hits.  No hit sprites.  He fired once and killed me.

I have the film.  Where should I send it?

Thanks.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: Tank Rounds Not Hitting At 100-200 Yards
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 04:14:25 PM »
I had this happen last night.  I was in a Flakpanzer, the other person was in a T34.  No obstructions.  I had a clear LoS.  Turrent wasn't elevated.  Aimed at the middle of his tank.  Fired twice - no hits.  No hit sprites.  He fired once and killed me.

I have the film.  Where should I send it?

Thanks.

Could you post it here? I could take a look - also support@hitechcreations.com is where you want to send it.

JG 52

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »
If I had to guess, Id say your 37mm's (I assume you wouldn't shoot just 2 rounds at a T-34 from a wirblewind or M16, so that leaves the Ostwind) just missed. The accuracy on the 37mm isn't stellar, even at only a couple hundred yards (it relys on more damage per shell, rather than number of hits), and out at 1000yds or so, I'd say its safer to bet that you miss than it is to bet that you hit with the first two shots.

But aside from that, I haven't heard any complaints about aircraft mounted 37mm's having ghost-shell problems. Theres no reason that the modeling for the 37mm on the Ostwind should be fundamentally different from the modeling for the 37mm on the P-39 or Yak-9T.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
Angle has a big thing to do with it.  IL2 and P39s can come in and hit the soft spots of a tank.  It's a lot harder to hit those w/ an Ostie and will take a lot more than 2 shells.
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 01:20:56 AM »
Yes, but hes saying that his shells didn't even register as hitting the target. He probably just missed.

I'm simply saying that its not like the Ostwind's shells are sometimes passing through targets, but that every other 37mm is functioning perfectly fine.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 06:24:55 AM »
What are you talking about with 37mm and planes?

I was in a Flakpanzer, shooting AP through the main gun.

I didn't miss.

I've already sent the film to HTC.
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »
Perhaps the OP is misusing the term "flakpanzer", and instead was in a Panzer IV?

MH

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 01:19:44 AM »
A flakpanzer refers to only two vehicles in Aces High:
1) the Wirblwind (whirlwind)
2) the Ostwind  (East Wind)

Only two vehicles in Aces high are armed with a 37mm cannon:
1) the Ostwind
2) the M8 Greyhound

Only one of those has AP rounds:
1) the M8

So either you're misusing a name, or don't have any idea what the hell you're talking about.