Author Topic: Hangars on V bases  (Read 1034 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Hangars on V bases
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »
 :rock I know my eyes are not the best in the world, but sometimes, from 15 or 17 thousand feet, it is very difficult to see the VH hangars from other objects on the V base. The "taxi" way which outlines the V base are just about not visible because the color of them blends in with the surrounding terrain. Something needs to be done to make the VH hangars "stand" out from the other structures on the base. What is wrong with a number on the top of each hangar? On that subject, why not a number on the top of each hangar in the clip board maps? There must be 10 to 15 different maps floating around in this game and when you assign a target, which is numbered to someone, you have reasonable chance of the right one getting hit! Our squad, the Devil Dogs, use the old 412 maps by pand and each hangar, barrack, AA gun, or ord bunker is numbered on every base in this game. Whats wrong with Aces High doing that? I know you guys at Aces High staff are probable all young computer "geeks" with great eye sight, but us old  :old: guys like myself, 77, have a hard time seeing things sometimes. Just a thought or two to try to make this "GREAT, GREAT" game a little better!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
Re: Hangars on V bases
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
I know my eyes are not the best in the world, but sometimes, from 15 or 17 thousand feet, it is very difficult to see the VH hangars from other objects on the V base. - why not a number on the top of each hangar in the clip board maps?
In peace time, Hanger Roofs are often marked ... In war time, they are Camoflaged ... Do you seriously expect the enemy to paint a bullseye on their assets for you ? Maybe get yourself some GLASSES ... I wear lowpower reading specs at all times when flying AH ... No problems. The Hangers are NOT easy to distinguish, even from 5,000 feet (until you zoom them). That's not unrealistic, if you've ever flown in light planes? Just the humidity can obstruct visibility significantly ... LEARN THE MAPS ... The hangers are ALWAYS in the SAME PLACE, which makes them EASY to locate.
:cool:
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 11:24:28 AM »
 :old:With a little over 22,000 flight hours and having flown since 1948, with no accidents, i think I can see as good as anyone my age, 77! However, I am just making a suggestion to improve the game for us :old:guys who love the game like you young guys!

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »
:old:With a little over 22,000 flight hours and having flown since 1948, with no accidents, i think I can see as good as anyone my age, 77! However, I am just making a suggestion to improve the game for us :old:guys who love the game like you young guys!

Perhaps it is more of a graphics issue and not a vision issue?  If there is trouble to be had in finding the vehicle hangers, perhaps finding them relative to other landmarks might be easier?  I find a lot of things by using the radar tower and the opposite end of the field for reference.  With your experience, you should be able to cope better than most of us wipper-snappers!   ;)

22,000 hours is a LOT of time in the air.  Impressive!    :salute
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »
Heya Earl  :salute

Smokin' is on the right track.  Finding the radar tower is pretty easy, because its structure is so different from others.  I also look for patterns of the pavement and dirt paths to help orient me to the area where I will expect my target to be.  Zoom is your friend, and I recommend to have it mapped to a button as well as the ability to zoom in and out.  As far as video card settings go, I have a pretty slow and low tech setup, but I can still move the detail sliders to the left a bit when targeting ground objects.  When I am using guns, I move them back to the right for the best fps as possible.

Back to your original request, I don't see anything wrong with increasing the depth perception on all ground objects by the use of the new beta building bump maps.  There would be no reason to label anything if its shape was distinctive enough.  Currently, shadows on buildings and bump map on buildings (from beta) hasn't given the environment the "pop" that a good old fashion eyeball is able to.  My only criticism of the terrain features of AH is that they are too flat (not near tall enough).  If things like maybe the hangars, trees, cities, even field and town guns had a larger and taller scale, it would present a more life like environment (even if it were not the appropriate scale).

Offline Selino631

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »
zoom key  :aok
OEF 11-12

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 12:32:27 PM »
Perhaps it is more of a graphics issue and not a vision issue?  If there is trouble to be had in finding the vehicle hangers, perhaps finding them relative to other landmarks might be easier?  I find a lot of things by using the radar tower and the opposite end of the field for reference.  With your experience, you should be able to cope better than most of us wipper-snappers!   ;)

22,000 hours is a LOT of time in the air.  Impressive!    :salute

Just wanted to point this out, if 1937 was your birth year and it's just 2012 now, that's a 75 year difference, not 77.  Good to know your eyes are still sharp, but before your next medical , might want to work on that age question thing, just saying.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Scotty55OEFVet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 01:43:17 PM »
ok...there are 2 VHs that sit literally side by side on the South side of the field set East to West. Right across from the Eastern VH on the South SIde there is another VH, and barely on a SW Heading from that VH is another VH...I understand your point but if you fly anywhere near a V base even once you know how the Hangars sit. So, at 20k+ just use comon sense buddy  :salute
"War can only be abolished through war...in order to get rid of the gun it is necessary to take up the gun."

RedDevil

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
Just wanted to point this out, if 1937 was your birth year and it's just 2012 now, that's a 75 year difference, not 77.  Good to know your eyes are still sharp, but before your next medical , might want to work on that age question thing, just saying.
19 WAS my football number in high school, and 37 was my basketball number!!

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 06:47:27 PM »
Careful Traveler.  Looks like he was a CB or a HB, and probably both!  Sounds like he still has enough punch left to hurry up your next medical visit   :D 

Earl, its an honor to have generations of proud men represented in this game.  I hope that the serious suggestions for possible solutions to your target ID have been helpful. 

I am fairly certain that we have already met and had some intense fights IIRC.  I hope to return soon to the game and will be in need of a good wingman to help me work out the kinks with flying with my home made rudder pedals.  Looking forward to flying together soon, and maybe we both can take a trip to the TA and get some help there.  Those guys have always broadened my abilities, and understanding of how to achieve my goals of improving my AH game play.  :salute

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 10:06:22 PM »

Glad you cleared that up.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 03:20:48 AM »

But did you score 4 touchdowns in a single game like Al Bundy did?
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline davidwales

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 04:30:25 AM »
i have had similair problems of squadies hitting the same vh which i have been assigned , and have to abort my run , due to so many different maps circulating, i thought rule of thumb was spawn vh 1 and then clockwise 2 3 and 4 same with any field, but some players who are very good players and hit there target everytime, have a different numbering system than me , and i dont like to question them as they are more snr than my self , it does get confusing sometimes :salute

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 04:38:46 AM »
i have had similair problems of squadies hitting the same vh which i have been assigned , and have to abort my run , due to so many different maps circulating, i thought rule of thumb was spawn vh 1 and then clockwise 2 3 and 4 same with any field, but some players who are very good players and hit there target everytime, have a different numbering system than me , and i dont like to question them as they are more snr than my self , it does get confusing sometimes :salute

yes but if you are heading in the opposite direction then the clockwise become counterclockwise which brings us back to the original problem.  which also brings another problem is the counterclockwise the same as clockwise and why do they call it clockwise?  is it because it can read the clock?  and what happens if instead of having a numbering system they have a letter system.  like the spawn vh is a then counterclockwise is b or if you go in the opposite direction then it's clockwise b.  or exactly what are we talking about  :headscratch:?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 04:44:47 AM »

Why not use the standard system that was created a few hundred years ago. We have 4 VHs that are not in one line, so, Northern, Southwestern, Southeastern, and Eastern. This will not need explaining as everyone will understand and it will remain the same no matter which direction you come from.

"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s