Author Topic: Hangars on V bases  (Read 988 times)

Offline davidwales

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Hangars on V bases
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 04:59:42 AM »
and on a large airfield it becomes a total nightmare and free for all , a lettering system would be ok , but some of the snr pilots who run missions will always stick to what they think is the correct numbering system , but they always conflict , a universal map we need, issued by htc , whether it be numbers or letters if everyone stuck by that then , im sure it would become the norm for every one , i have hellfire maps and the v base is numbered incorrectley of  how most people read the base , it reads spw1 se 2 sw 4 and west 3  :salute

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 05:03:10 AM »
and on a large airfield it becomes a total nightmare and free for all , a lettering system would be ok , but some of the snr pilots who run missions will always stick to what they think is the correct numbering system , but they always conflict , a universal map we need, issued by htc , whether it be numbers or letters if everyone stuck by that then , im sure it would become the norm for every one , i have hellfire maps and the v base is numbered incorrectley of  how most people read the base , it reads spw1 se 2 sw 4 and west 3  :salute

Who said people will acknowledge HTC's numbering?
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline davidwales

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 05:08:40 AM »
i thought that was the reason of this thread was to get all hangers universally numbered , ok just to put it in context you are flying toward a large field radar tower is due south , and your s/l says macfly your target is number fh 8 what would your target be on the map you have ??

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 05:10:52 AM »

davidwales surprised you havent thought of using the military phonetic alphabet.  it's easier to understand.  or we can use the greek or the roman. why stick to a,b,c..  1,2.3...

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline davidwales

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 05:15:50 AM »
yes i think that would be good if it was laid out in stone , the idea is that all mission pilots know exactley what there target is to correspond to his flight plan , i know the phoenetic alphabet backwards , but some players who have been playing along dont know it completley  :salute

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 05:19:32 AM »
i thought that was the reason of this thread was to get all hangers universally numbered , ok just to put it in context you are flying toward a large field radar tower is due south , and your s/l says macfly your target is number fh 8 what would your target be on the map you have ??

This thread is actually titled "Hangars on V bases" so V base specific and has nothing to do with fighter hangars. My response was specific to the VHs on V bases.

Now if I was told that my target was the 8th FH I would say that I have no idea what the 8th FH is and I'd ask for it's location. By saying it's approximate location on the base and saying what's next to it you can easily describe which hangar your talking about.
In general number would be easier, however unless your going to do a long mission briefing (like you would do in FSO for example) it would not work.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline davidwales

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 05:21:56 AM »
ok lets have a quick poll large field scenario

flying north , radar is due south

what number is?

most weserley fh

most easterley fh

most northern bh

most esaterly fh close to little pad

most northernly fh on big pad

fill in what you think and im sure a lot of players will have a conflicted numbering system  :salute