Author Topic: External engine sounds are no longer heard when your engine is running.  (Read 1854 times)

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
Re: External engine sounds are no longer heard when your engine is running.
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 10:49:16 AM »
hear from 800 yrds ... if u paied lot's of attention only !!! I set the damned think to hear fly by well but not so well from 800 yrds. It was very low from 800 yrds as i said and impossible to hear when in furballng firing at somebody or extending flaps.  My Settings are about: myengine 90%; extengine less then 40%. If i remember right.

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 10:57:52 AM »
About flight model -- somebody said something.

Ah flight model is good i think. If it does not work well for somebody, it's because your processor is busy ....
I had this problem for 2 years before to recognize it. In that condition all my planes did not working at
low and high speeds and flaps were not effective. I had a lot's of drag. My acceleration was very bad.
And my speed was for 5 to 15 miles per hour less then other players.

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »
WWII birds had no muffler much less an exhaust to speak of. 

I don't like this change, but really, it's more accurate
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 11:08:14 AM »
Please help me understand. What you are saying is that in real life when you are dogfighting a Bf-109K4, stall fighting so less then 100m's you would not hear the K4s engine screaming to get that last meter of altitude? Are you sure?

If that is accurate then there it is. I've never ridden in one of these high performance birds in real life so don't know though find it hard to believe we couldn't hear them. I will trust what others say but wonder...

Boo

I don't have the book open in front of me but in his book Col. Clarence "Bud" Anderson mentions that about all you could hear was your own engine and guns.  He says that occasionally you'd hear the big caliber flak going off near you but if you did then it was REALLY close.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline twitchy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 11:46:14 AM »
I cut my engine off and still couldn't hear other engines, I guess the whirring of my propellers is louder than I thought.
Founder & CO
Pigs on the Wing
Oinking Bases since 2000 AD

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 12:03:05 PM »
I cut my engine off and still couldn't hear other engines, I guess the whirring of my propellers is louder than I thought.

Heh.  Remember that you're still wearing a virtual headset with all the crap that comes through it under WWII technology standards.  With a virtual leather cap strapped over the top of it, too!

- oldman

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 12:15:34 PM »
P-51 ride along:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_KQyHGcIUY

If you watch the second video in that series, at about 3:15 into it, while they are warming the engine up and waiting for their turn to take off, there is a business jet that takes off.  No where near 800 yards away.  Never hear it at all.

During part 3, you can't hear the pilot talk at all.  Heck you really don't even hear the guy with the camera on his head talk.

Great videos though!  Watching part3, the aerobatics, I caught myself just smiling like I was in the plane myself.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:22:37 PM by PFactorDave »

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »
In the last film of the group you can hear the change in ambient noise as the flaps come down and then you can just make out the landing gear (sounds like a paper shredder). You could actually make sounds for AH with a ride like this and it would be really good except when you are in the tower and heard a P-51 go by you would not be happy with the sound. AH doesnt currently offer a wide enough range of source files to draw from in order to recreate the entire experience but I think they might be moving in that direction.

I dont think anyone wants complete accuracy either way. Can you imagine playing for hours on end and the entire time you are assaulted with audio like that?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:25:58 PM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 12:28:46 PM »
I dont think anyone wants complete accuracy either way. Can you imagine playing for hours on end and the entire time you are assaulted with audio like that?

The most common thing you'd hear over vox would be 'WHAT?!'   :D

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Waldo

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »
 Onboard in a skyraider. I can't imagine being able to hear anything else. There is some formation flying at the end of the video, you do not hear multiple engines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Lz74M9v6w
I read it on the internet, so it must be true !

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:55 PM »
 I had the pleasure in 1972/3 of meeting a gentleman at Santa Barbara Int'l Airport who had a p-38. There were several other 'warbirds' at that feild. When one of those others fired up you could hear it over ANYTHING else running,from anywhere on field,even at idle they were unmistakable , they included a couple P-51's, AT-6 and couple others lost to mists of time...
 But when that P-38 coughed and lite it purred..P-51's have a rather short exhaust stack..few inches..no muffler, baby.The 38 runs exhaust back over engine to turbo-charger..was sweet sound.
 JGroth

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »
P-51 ride along:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_KQyHGcIUY

Holy ***, holy ***, holy *** I want one!

And yes, on Part II you are unable to hear that jet take off, likely a hundred yards away. Surprising that even while the engine was in idle the gentleman on the wing had to scream goodbye. I think Aces High got this right.

Boo

Edit: I was truly born in the wrong decade.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 12:53:03 PM »
Back in the '80s I had the pleasure of knowing a handful of pilots at the local muni. They all flew aerobatic shows, and I got to fly out to one of their practices.  I was in a Christian Eagle II, we were in a tight (5'-10' or so) 4-ship formation on the way out. Two Super Decathalons, one T-6 Texan and me and my pilot in the slot in the Eagle. Did I mention I was 5' from the other planes? Couldn't hear a dang thing other than my engine and the pilot in the headset.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 12:56:30 PM »
I think the 38 makes enough noise to mask approaching airplanes. It almost covers Mr. Ethells commentary and you have to remember too his power is back. Still more pleasant than most:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3nddCJbcdI&feature=related