Author Topic: GTX 460's in SLI getting clobbered by the new patch  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
GTX 460's in SLI getting clobbered by the new patch
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:36:11 PM »
Hey fellas,

I've looked through the nVidia forums and here and can't figure out why this might be happening.  I would think these two cards in SLI plus an i7 950 would be plenty for this patch but it's not.

Are there any special setup requirements in the nVidia Control Manager that should be dealt with I order to make sure both cards use are maximized?  The NCM is recognizing both cards and I have plenty of power...850W with 4X12 volt rails....

Suggestions?
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: GTX 460's in SLI getting clobbered by the new patch
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »
Can you better define "getting clobbered"?

How much video RAM is on each card?

Precisely what options/config choices are set in "Video Settings", "Options->Graphic Details", and "Options->Graphic Details->Advanced"?

What about any anti-alias settings outside of the game?

My initial guess will be it is not performance related, but resource related.

By the way, there is a very good chance the NVidia suppied SLI configuration file, for Aces High, is no longer correct with this new update.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:24:12 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Buzzard7

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »
How many amps can each 12volt rail handle? I have a single 12 volt rail rated for i think 40 amps. Enough for a GTX 560 according to nvidia. I have seen where split rails are not hot enough for the big cards.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »
I doubt this particular issue is power related.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 01:28:06 PM »
Can you better define "getting clobbered"?

How much video RAM is on each card?

My initial guess will be it is not performance related, but resource related.

1gig each card, DDR 5

All graphics options pegged, flew at TT last night and frame rate went from 60 to 0 and the game discod me....three times.  I stepped the graphic options down and moved fields and it happened again, twice, with 12 friendlies and cons in viewing distance.  The graphics were moving one frame at a time right before the disco...don't know if that's relevant.

I just wondered if there were settings that needed adjustment in NCM that I missed or if these cards weren't enough in SLI

I'm in Austin on biz...I will post those settings you're requesting when I get back tonight...love day trips.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:31:35 PM by Changeup »

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »
How many amps can each 12volt rail handle? I have a single 12 volt rail rated for i think 40 amps. Enough for a GTX 560 according to nvidia. I have seen where split rails are not hot enough for the big cards.

My PS is on the nVidia SLI approved list and meets they're power requirements for my MB.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »
I need all the details of how you have the game configured, including any and all anti-alias settings (in game or in the video driver).

The game can easily consume 1GB of video RAM (which is all you really have), if you just madly bump everything to its max.  Anti-aliasing settings will have the greatest impact.  Shadow texture size next.

Using SLI also chews up more of the video RAM.  You might be able to run with higher settings on one video card versus using SLI.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »
I need all the details of how you have the game configured, including any and all anti-alias settings (in game or in the video driver).

The game can easily consume 1GB of video RAM (which is all you really have), if you just madly bump everything to its max.  Anti-aliasing settings will have the greatest impact.  Shadow texture size next.

Using SLI also chews up more of the video RAM.  You might be able to run with higher settings on one video card versus using SLI.

I honestly don't know the answer to this question so please don't hear it as being a smarty....why would anyone want SLI if you only get the real use of one card?

I have it at 2048 too...maxed aliasing in the video settings...NCM is LET APPLICATION DECIDE

FOR SALE:  1 slightly used GTX 460....cannot be used in SLI...lol
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:37:53 PM by Changeup »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »
Are you referring to the video RAM amount?  Or the fact SLI uses up more video RAM?

From NVidia's point of view, they sold another video card they normally might not have sold.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:40:32 PM »
Are you referring to the video RAM amount?  Or the fact SLI uses up more video RAM?

From NVidia's point of view, they sold another video card they normally might not have sold.

I mean from a practical viewpoint...I bought a new card and had to buy a new PS unit as well...heck, these fellas are making out like bandits.

Yes, the video RAM...why isn't there 2 gigs from two cards with 1 gig each?  That's kinda what they lead you to believe will happen along with a tremendous increase in performance, which apparently didn't happen in my case, lol

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 01:47:31 PM »
Think about it.  Regardless of the rendering method AFR (alternate frame rendering) or ASLR (alternate scan line rendering) or any combination of partial frame rendering, both video cards need all the same data in order to render the frame or any part of the same frame.

Effectively, each card has to have enough RAM to do the work.  So for all practical purposes your configuration only has 1GB of video RAM.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »
Think about it.  Regardless of the rendering method AFR (alternate frame rendering) or ASLR (alternate scan line rendering) or any combination of partial frame rendering, both video cards need all the same data in order to render the frame or any part of the same frame.

Effectively, each card has to have enough RAM to do the work.  So for all practical purposes your configuration only has 1GB of video RAM.

Gotcha...that is not cool.  SLI doesn't sound even remotely as effective as its advertised to be when you frame it from that perspective.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 02:38:18 PM »
Not to say there are not performance benefits.  You normally will get about 25% higher performance over a one card version.

Then you also have to deal with the game profiles.

To me it is not worth the expense or the trouble, but that is just me.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 02:41:05 PM »
Not to say there are not performance benefits.  You normally will get about 25% higher performance over a one card version.

Then you also have to deal with the game profiles.

To me it is not worth the expense or the trouble, but that is just me.

I never knew or set up or checked for a game profile.  Where would that be located for download?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 02:46:22 PM »
The NVidia driver installation installs the SLI profiles.  They used to provide the SLI profiles separately.  Not sure if they do anymore.  Try looking in the NVidia WEB site "Downloads" section.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese