Author Topic: Tracers  (Read 533 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
Tracers
« on: January 26, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »
I was curious if turning tracers off has an adverse effect on your ability to set other planes on fire with your machine guns.

My assumption would be that in reality, not using tracers would make it a lot harder to ignite your enemy's fuel.  Especially since the engine sits in front pretty much everything but the prop and is always on the windward side of the airplane.

Flame On!  Or flame off?
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
Re: Tracers
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:37:28 PM »
I dont ever use tracers and i still set planes on fire..just set a corsair on fire not 2 hours ago without tracers. if you saw jughead landed 6 kills in a p47N, 3 of the 6 were cought on fire

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 11:49:24 PM »
I was curious if turning tracers off has an adverse effect on your ability to set other planes on fire with your machine guns.

My assumption would be that in reality, not using tracers would make it a lot harder to ignite your enemy's fuel.  Especially since the engine sits in front pretty much everything but the prop and is always on the windward side of the airplane.

Flame On!  Or flame off?

You must be related to davidwales.
JG 52

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
I stand by my thoughts on machine gun tracers.  I'm not thinking in terms of anything that fires an explosive shell here, just regular bullets.  Regular bullets shot at vehicle gas tanks are not prone to ignite the fuel.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:19:06 AM »
Your incendiary rounds are primary responsible for "lighting up" other planes, not your traces. So tracers would only not effect the damage you do.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 12:28:10 AM »
Makes Sense Mr. Fly   :aok

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:29:57 AM by Rob52240 »

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
It's kind of like comparing a glowstick to a firecracker.. which one is more likely to start a flame?

You're over thinking this.. the tracers had absolutely nothing to do with igniting anything.  It's the rounds you couldn't see that were deadly!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »
I seem to lite up my share and I never use tracers.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)