Author Topic: 88mm Flak fusing and ROF  (Read 2243 times)

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
Re: 88mm Flak fusing and ROF
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »
Haven't tried them yet, but if they are similar to a 5" it should be relatively easy to score a few kills.
uhhh no
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 01:11:04 PM »
I would say [the 88 is] overmodeled rather than undermodeled because you get real time ranging and fuzing.

:aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »
I've used them quite a bit.  I have not hit anything whatsoever... ever... not even once.

Practice, Grasshopper, practice.

I popped 2 mossies, a Niki, and a Tiffie my 2nd time in one** a couple days ago while defending a vbase.... the trick is I don't even try for the crossing shots or birds flying away from me, the ones who fly straight towards you are the easy ones. Just remember, fuse range is set for closer than the con is when you fire, ya want the round to blow up where he's gonna be once it gets there, not where he was when you shot it. One of the mossies I killed was from 6K+ away, but coming straight for the base. I set range on the fuse for about 500 less than the icon range, aimed well above him, and fired. He flew right into it. POOF.

** that all being said, those 4 kills were after about 100+ rounds fired in about 10 min, if I remember correctly, so yeh... the hit percentage is fairly low.

I don't even try for bombers.... I have had the rounds pop between planes and they keep flying with no visible damage.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:35:35 PM by Reaper90 »
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 01:45:41 PM »
I love exploding AA right over GVs.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 02:33:18 PM »
Practice, Grasshopper, practice.

I have.  I know how to use them including predicting not only location but range.  I've used them a lot and I have occasionally destroyed targets with the flak burst, including some deflection shots.  I've literally had more cases where the shell directly hits the target before bursting than kills via the burst.  The success rate either way is truly minuscule.  Using them is just an exercise in futility.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 02:34:55 PM »
I love exploding AA right over GVs.

Does that do anything?  I wouldn't think little bits of shrapnel would harm armor.  I presume you know you can select AP using Backspace right?

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
I shot a plane down with a 88 and I am poo :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »
I'm pretty good with the 37mm but the only kill so far in the 88 was from a guy losing a drone in a tight turn.  :(
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 03:16:03 PM »
Quote from: 715
I've used them quite a bit.  I have not hit anything whatsoever... ever... not even once.

I have.  I know how to use them including predicting not only location but range.  I've used them a lot and I have occasionally destroyed targets with the flak burst, including some deflection shots.  I've literally had more cases where the shell directly hits the target before bursting than kills via the burst.  The success rate either way is truly minuscule. 

:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

Quote from: 715
Using them is just an exercise in futility.

soooo...... you're saying the 88mm is not lethal enough?

I wonder what the manually aimed 88mm flak crews' hit percentages were....
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
Against the common target, fighter's, the 88 isn't that effective (though I HAVE shot down a few of them with it :devil).  Against bombers, it's a different story, especially if all the 88's are manned.

What gets me though is, from what I've heard about them is that a blast within 8-10 meters would almost always bring a bomber down, even the B-17.  Within 8 meters and you were going down no matter what you were flying (minus Lady Luck's Grace).  I am hoping someone has access to books on this bit because it was a LONG time ago that I heard this.

Below is an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysQqi0-6His&feature=related

Ours isn't that deadly, as I've landed shots like this against bombers only to see em fly off with an oil/fuel leak.

The few things that have to be taken into account about the 88 crews are as follows:

1) They had AMPLE time to get setup for the incoming bombers, either via radar, observers and/or interceptors.  Those bombers had to fly for 6+ hours, we only have to fly 15-30 minutes depending on alt to get to target (though we do have that lovely neon icon to help us for alt :D).
2) They had a LOT of flak guns protecting a target (depending on target of course).  We have 2-4 depending on base.  Even the Capital is woefully under-protected compared targets of equal importance in WW2.  (Though I WILL say that it takes out my formation of B-29's like a 262 flying over a CV. :bhead :cry)

As for the hit percentages, it would depend if you meant a single gun crew or a flak battery.  I would guess better than us, regardless.  A majority of the bombers lost were to flak, not fighters.

This bit is a little unrelated to this topic but, if somebody could tell me what show this was from, would be much appreciated. :salute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp1teqL-TLc&feature=related

I remember watching it a long time ago, but I bloody well can't remember the name of it. :bhead
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »
Against the common target, fighter's, the 88 isn't that effective (though I HAVE shot down a few of them with it :devil).  Against bombers, it's a different story, especially if all the 88's are manned.

What gets me though is, from what I've heard about them is that a blast within 8-10 meters would almost always bring a bomber down, even the B-17.  Within 8 meters and you were going down no matter what you were flying (minus Lady Luck's Grace).  I am hoping someone has access to books on this bit because it was a LONG time ago that I heard this.

Below is an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysQqi0-6His&feature=related

Ours isn't that deadly, as I've landed shots like this against bombers only to see em fly off with an oil/fuel leak.

The few things that have to be taken into account about the 88 crews are as follows:

1) They had AMPLE time to get setup for the incoming bombers, either via radar, observers and/or interceptors.  Those bombers had to fly for 6+ hours, we only have to fly 15-30 minutes depending on alt to get to target (though we do have that lovely neon icon to help us for alt :D).
2) They had a LOT of flak guns protecting a target (depending on target of course).  We have 2-4 depending on base.  Even the Capital is woefully under-protected compared targets of equal importance in WW2.  (Though I WILL say that it takes out my formation of B-29's like a 262 flying over a CV. :bhead :cry)

As for the hit percentages, it would depend if you meant a single gun crew or a flak battery.  I would guess better than us, regardless.  A majority of the bombers lost were to flak, not fighters.

This bit is a little unrelated to this topic but, if somebody could tell me what show this was from, would be much appreciated. :salute

I remember watching it a long time ago, but I bloody well can't remember the name of it. :bhead

If the icon accuracy at extreme ranges for 88s gets dumbed down a bit, I'd be supportive of bumping up their lethality.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 10:16:20 PM »

Yay!! PBS!!

The World at War

BTW, even a direct hit from AAA didn't always bring down a plane. So 8-10 meters...?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 10:47:29 PM »
I think that in historic terms it took hundereds of thousands of rounds to actually destroy an aircraft.  If that was realistic to our 88's who on earth would ever want to use them.  I'm going with gameplay on this one.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 11:22:31 PM »
Yay!! PBS!!

The World at War

I was curious to what the name of the program was.  Thank you. :salute

BTW, even a direct hit from AAA didn't always bring down a plane. So 8-10 meters...?

I am not too sure about it.  It was quite a while ago that I heard this so I probably heard it incorrectly (may have been closer?).  I still say that they had to of been graced by Lady Luck for them and their plane to survive a direct hit from an 88.  In any event, I probably should have slipped in that "(?)" mark in there somewhere to make my uncertainty about it more clear. :o

wrongway
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 12:55:46 AM »
well its been said by skuzzy that they are over modeled do to the fact that fuse and rmp are not accurately modeled as far as time and percision. but as he notes they are used in large packs which has a shotgun effect. we all know we are not getting a pack of 88s anywhere but what we have is fantastic in Lu of that. id like to see airfields/ vbases and port/cv very heavily acked its only more real.