Author Topic: Trackir and the Corsair/Hellcat  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
Trackir and the Corsair/Hellcat
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:31:26 PM »
With the views in the Hellcat having been improved I plugged my trackir back in, but as of yet cannot get it to the same positions that I have been able to with the hat switch/standard head position view mode.

I also notice that in the F4U, I am unable to achieve the same views as well. 

In the F4U1, it's easier and I can see behind me fairly normally (the difference is much smaller than with the 1A, 1D, -4), but with the later Hogs and Hellcat it seems impossible to be able to get the same view with trackir that I can using the standard method.

Either I'm missing something, or am completely backwards on something.

Has anyone that uses trackir been able to get a good result in these aircraft?

"You rebel scum"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Trackir and the Corsair/Hellcat
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:41:32 PM »
The F6 is just a lost cause for me.  I either fly with a wingman or don't fly the bloody thing.

The Corsairs are easy though.  Put your head's neutral position as high as you can get it.  When you want to check six, move your head straight to the side, then look back.  If your head's as high as you can get it, your view should be pretty decent out the back.

The only one I don't put my head as high as it can possibly go is the -1, so I can still use the sight.  I have the dot just at the top of the reflector though.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 05:10:35 PM »
I believe if you turn off the roll axis it will use the same views as your hat switch does, that's what I've done on the recommendation of others.

I know it's not a popular option as you can't bob your head around, but it works for me.

Salute

Steely
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 06:29:21 PM »
I believe if you turn off the roll axis it will use the same views as your hat switch does

It's disabling the X, Y and Z axes that leaves saved hat switch views active. I have always only used yaw and pitch axes with TrackIR for the same reason.
When I need to look around a cockpit bar, I have mapped X and Y axes to the mini-joystick on my CH Throttle.

EDIT:
Just a thought - maybe there is differences between the various versions of TrackIR, I use software version 4.1 with TrackIR 4:PRO and TrackClip

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:16:54 PM by lengro »
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 09:38:52 PM »
It's disabling the X, Y and Z axes that leaves saved hat switch views active. I have always only used yaw and pitch axes with TrackIR for the same reason.
When I need to look around a cockpit bar, I have mapped X and Y axes to the mini-joystick on my CH Throttle.

EDIT:
Just a thought - maybe there is differences between the various versions of TrackIR, I use software version 4.1 with TrackIR 4:PRO and TrackClip

oops, you're quite right lengro, that's how I'm set up as well

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Rebel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 07:59:26 AM »
How does that work out for you, Lengro?  I've half a mind to try it. 
"You rebel scum"

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »
How does that work out for you, Lengro?  I've half a mind to try it. 

for me its perfect - I get the benefit of:

• freely look around with TrackIR
  • minimal look out obstruction due to saved views.
  • no need to physically hold my head in the same spot to see my gun sight on the reflector plate (you can offset your head and still have the gunsight)
  • the latter reduces the need to hit the recenter button.
  • in hard stall fights I tend to end up in a corner of the cockpit if using full TrackIR, not so with this setup.

I see it as trading a bit of immersion for more precision - but its probably not for all, as TrackIR is much down to personal preferences.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »
^^ This right here is what I'm talking about when I say TIR is the most personal setting in the game.  I couldn't begin to imagine how I'd use Lengro's setup here, but it works like a top for him.

I tried experimentally disabling my roll axis last night but it messed up my SA so badly I reenabled it.

My profile is very agressive with a bit of deadband in the middle.  I love it, but I've got a bit of an unusual setup.  My pilot chair is a recliner.  My body is pretty much immobilized from the neck down, so I have probably only about 10% of the range of motion in the x/y/z axes I'd have sitting in an office chair.  I only have to move my head a couple inches to get full motion to the side of the canopy.  It works just fine for me, many find it way too aggressive though.  It could be smoother, but I've just gotten used to it I guess.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 03:59:13 PM »
for me its perfect - I get the benefit of:

• freely look around with TrackIR
  • minimal look out obstruction due to saved views.
  • no need to physically hold my head in the same spot to see my gun sight on the reflector plate (you can offset your head and still have the gunsight)
  • the latter reduces the need to hit the recenter button.
  • in hard stall fights I tend to end up in a corner of the cockpit if using full TrackIR, not so with this setup.

I see it as trading a bit of immersion for more precision - but its probably not for all, as TrackIR is much down to personal preferences.

My sentiments exactly, I don't feel like i'm missing out by doing this, my views are just as I'd been used to before getting track ir, it's just I don't need to use the hat, and I can track cons even better (and more easily) that I used to be able to.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 05:43:31 PM »

EDIT:

where does one do that, disable the x, y and z axes?  Is that done in AH Options or TIR???
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 05:55:12 PM »
In TIR,

These are on, mine are off, i also have roll unticked (but that's personal preference)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 06:01:16 PM by steely07 »

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 03:49:15 AM »
I might try lengro's method when I get my system back as I really miss flying the f4u-a...about my only problem with TIR really

meanwhile I have a query for you Wiley...

I have tried setting my neutral head position very high quite a few times, as recommended by many, but if I do manage to set it high enough that the views out the back are improved, the forward view is too high to see the gunsight properly. How do you deal with this/what might I be doing wrong? :)
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 09:26:32 AM »
Most planes I fly, I've got the dot of my sight showing just through the top of the reflector.  With all F4U models but the -1, you can max your head height.  With the -1, you can't go quite all the way to the top and still have the dot showing through the reflector.

Most other planes I move my head up somewhat as well, just to give me a little better visibility over the nose.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »
Like Wiley I have my head raised so the dot sight is just at the top of the reflector. I also move my head back as far as I can. I don't have any problems with the six view in any of the corsairs or pretty much any other fighter in the game with the exception of the F6f. The six view in the hellcat with tir is awful.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
I got it working in game, however this is going to be fun to setup..

Only question is I cannot look upward, how can i fix that?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:30:04 PM by Butcher »
JG 52