Author Topic: Old fashion way  (Read 1084 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Old fashion way
« on: January 30, 2012, 05:57:06 PM »
 :old:Guess I'm a hold over from the stone ages! Appreciate everyone's comments! I guess I'm stubborn and old fashioned, but I prefer not to use a "crutch" like the E6B! I had one in my hand in the AF, but it didn't automatically make all the computations like Aces High has done for everyone. Is there something wrong with trying to develop a little "real" pilot skill, instead letting a computer do it for you? But, I guess that's the way things are these days! Handed a young person at a cash register the other day a $10.00 bill and the sale was for $2.50 and her register was down and she handed me back $8.50. :angel:
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Dimebag

• Nickel Member
Re: Old fashion way
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
nothing wrong with an "old fashioned"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SQWiaZmNuw

:D
Dimebag
CO of the Black Tooth Grin
Black Attack!!!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 06:32:47 PM »
I have met plenty of old people that cant drive, give change or directions for crap.  but what does that have to do with e6b?  I am not a pilot so I dont really see any info there than I dont see in the instrument panel already.  perhaps I should say there's no info there that I need to fly the airplane.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 07:40:46 PM »
I dont really see any info there than I dont see in the instrument panel already. 

ground speed, fuel remaining in minutes, range in miles, weight,  etc.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »
Remaining fuel is all I look at in E6B. If it hits 10 minutes, I'm going home.

I say leave it as is, E6B is useful for guys who want to run tests and get exact numbers.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 07:52:00 PM »
its essential because most in AH dont fly the same plane every day and memorise the charts like you would IRL. after a few years theres only really 2 aircraft I can fly on cockpit instruments only and know exactly how much range I have left without ever opening the E6B. for my fav planes I take off manually and never open E6B, for the others it helps to check :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 08:04:42 PM »
I was driving down to gulf shores Alabama once to share a vacation house for a week with a friend.  He left about 12 hours before I did and I got a call while driving down there, "Don't follow what the GPS tells you to do because it takes you three hours out of the way to a ferry and which has a six hour wait!"

I replied "Didn't you see that large body of water on your map?"

His reply "What map?  I have a GPS"

My reply "Well I took five minutes to study a map before I even left so I know how to get there directly without even having to mess with the stupid ferry!"

Really.. I can't believe that anyone would drive half way across the country relying strictly on a GPS unit with no planning whatsoever!  Yeah I have it on my phone but I never even needed to fire it up!

Sad thing is this isn't a kid.. it's a man who is almost forty.. same age as me!

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 08:16:37 PM »
ground speed, fuel remaining in minutes, range in miles, weight,  etc.

i see the speed in the cockpit, fuel remaining in minutes well if you cant tell by now, then you should really pay more attention when the needle hits 1/4 tank, as for range same as fuel remaining.  as for weight, well I am not flying my gf so weight is a none issue.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 09:02:27 PM »
 :banana: :banana: E6b aint nuffin....i is just plane smarf! :x :x :x
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 09:10:52 PM »
E6B was great when I started, and I check it from time to time if things are getting tight, and try and find my perfect balance to make it home... but unless I take an unforeseen fuel hit towards the end of a fight, that normally doesn't happen.

My main rides (38J, 109K-4 and ME262) I have a very good idea on range and RPM/Manifold settings to get those to where they're going without checking E6B.  I rarely use the suggested E6B power settings, especially a 262.

I do enjoy checking my fuel settings to see how much fuel is left when I land.  My personal record was 0 gallons / 1 minute of fuel.  It died seconds after touching runway (and that was at an already throttled down state, and excludes no fuel coast landings).
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 11:51:04 AM »
Old fashioned... get off the net and the computer and throw some horse shoes. If that is too old then try a board game. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 12:48:22 PM »
The E6B doesn't tell you anything you woulndn't know from training on a single airframe for 6 months to a year straight...

You look at the fuel dial on a P-51 and you'd know exactly how much gas that is in gallons based on experience and math (% of total).

But jump around plane to plane, a hundred different options in this game, and you cannot remember ALL the different max fuel loads of EVERY plane in the game.

The rest of it is basic math... "I know at this rpm and this boost my manual says this many GPH are consumed, look at my fuel and it's got 50% on the dial, that means X gallons, so I know this many gallons times this many GPH means I have 10 minutes left at this setting"

It's really not that hard, it's just that we don't have that kind of thing permanently ingrained into our minds. So the E6B just fills in some of the blanks and does some basic math. Outside of the GPH and fuel remaining, the rest of it isn't important to me. I do my own mental estimation of time left and duration, etc.

But without memorizing engine settings for a year, a pilot manual to constantly refer to, and without knowing at a glance (from memory and experience) how many gallons I have left, I need the E6B.

There's nothing cheating about it. It's not a crutch in the way the OP describes it. Not for anybody that's moved beyond the "newbie" status, I'd wager.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 01:00:54 PM »
Handed a young person at a cash register the other day a $10.00 bill and the sale was for $2.50 and her register was down and she handed me back $8.50. :angel:
If you didnt correct the mistake your not that old fasioned... or honest.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline RipRap

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »
:old:Guess I'm a hold over from the stone ages! Appreciate everyone's comments! I guess I'm stubborn and old fashioned, but I prefer not to use a "crutch" like the E6B! I had one in my hand in the AF, but it didn't automatically make all the computations like Aces High has done for everyone. Is there something wrong with trying to develop a little "real" pilot skill, instead letting a computer do it for you? But, I guess that's the way things are these days! Handed a young person at a cash register the other day a $10.00 bill and the sale was for $2.50 and her register was down and she handed me back $8.50. :angel:

Lets analyze the bitterness in your statement shall we:

1. What you refer to as a "crutch" is a great tool to help people, like myself, whom have never flown a plane in their life, learn to be better players and understand how their plane operates.
2. There is nothing wrong with trying to develop "real" pilot skill, except for one teeny, weeny detail.....this is a computer game, i don't have a P-51 parked in my driveway to practice on. (boy i wish i did..."hey honey stand by that tree, i need to work on my dive bombing")
3. Instead of correcting an innocent mistake, you shake your head, grumble about young people & use a computer to let everyone know how you feel....huh a little ironic.

If i may sir, here is a little friendly advice. Lighten up and enjoy the AH community.
 :salute
Otto  ~Flying Penguins~

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 03:08:11 PM »
nothing wrong with an "old fashioned"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SQWiaZmNuw

:D

I was thinking the same thing myself when I saw this thread  LOL

Dimebag you are sick & wrong    :rofl :salute :aok
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...