Author Topic: Storch Can Pick Up Downed Pilot to get a Landed Rescue Message  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: Storch Can Pick Up Downed Pilot to get a Landed Rescue Message
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 11:22:27 AM »
Could someone please explain to me what the actual desired gameplay with these ideas is?  Do you want to be able to have a buddy tailgun from your storch?  That's already available.  Is it some kind of backhanded way to go about improving your score in some way?  Why is sitting in a field such a desirable gameplay element?

You could have this gameplay in the game right now.  Bail.  Wait for your buddy to come along in his Storch.  .ef.  Attach to his plane.  Gun for him all the way back to base.

If you don't do this now, why would it improve the game if you got your name in lights for it?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline cowboy03

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 12:03:20 PM »
I think the desire (and this is just my opinion) is to add another element/option of what went on in the era. or maybe thier relative flew SAR and they want to relive/honor that.
Of course there would have to be some incentive to the downed pilot, maybe making downing in enemy territory versus freindly territory worth different amounts, or maybe if you got shot down in a perked plane, you wouldn't lose all your points.

for 99% of players they'll just tower and go back to flying, for the 1% (Occupy Aces High?lol) that would like to enjoy doing mundane tasks such as picking up downed flyers I'm sure they'd love it.
Or for that matter, perhaps we should have a WASP option, where you can't just spawn an airplane where ever you want, but someone else has to fly it half way across the map to your airbase.  ;)

As much as I'd like to see little side things like that developed, I don't think its the most cost effective use of development time/effort (even though I'd love doing it!) :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:06:32 PM by cowboy03 »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 12:14:52 PM »
Spawning when all the hangers down, bailing immediately and taking out troops with his .45?

No Im referring to marking vehicles which is what its intended for. It can also deliver supplies at twice the speed of an M3. Flying at just 100 mph it can remain below tree level and there its nearly impossible to see (except its specular mapping makes it stick out a lot).

The Storch doesnt have much range and pilot retrieval wouldnt really be a useful role.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »
Only reason folks want it is because the guy downed wants to save his score, his points, and his name in lights.

You put up the argument "What if it was done that way but the rescued guy's sortie ended just like if he .EF'ed then and there? A ditch/capture/etc?

They go strangely silent after that point, most times.

Or they come up with another roundabout way to save their scores after they (yet again) fail to make it back to base.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »
Then Sir KnowItAll,

With your logic Hitech should simply pull the Storch as a usless POS and get on with asking you for what you think should be on his HoneyDo list each day. I'm just trying to give it something to do worth while other than be gun fodder for any popgun in the game.

Since the game is still based on free association it would be up to the two players involved to participate. Meaning it's something they agree with each other to do and no skin off your postierior. Or have you been hired recently to be the game nanny? Do we check in with you now to preflight our diapers and make sure they are on clean and tight? I got a truck load of Depends for you to inspect and fluff in that case......extra fluffy. Do you wash windows to?
Sorry to pop your bubble, sweetheart, but the objections I raised were not false.  You are demanding something that would be bad for the game.  The existing role of the Fi156 has nothing to do with what you are asking and telling you the blunt truth about the idea does not mean the Storch should be removed.

Pilot rescue is a horrible idea for the reasons I listed in my post.  If you don't like that, tough, sometimes reality doesn't do what we want.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 02:44:19 PM »
does it matter? you arent the one doing it

No but the people who will could be coading something more contributive to the the game :)

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »
I disagree with Karnak and Krusty. I view this wish as being similar to running gv supplies in a jeep, sometimes it's nice to take a break and do something a little different in game.

I personally don't care about score and I would like to be able to pick up downed pilots from time to time. And there are many others like me that don't care about score either, so to claim that the ONLY reason for this wish is to protect their score (or name in lights) is false.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 04:24:25 PM »
I disagree with Karnak and Krusty. I view this wish as being similar to running gv supplies in a jeep, sometimes it's nice to take a break and do something a little different in game.

I personally don't care about score and I would like to be able to pick up downed pilots from time to time. And there are many others like me that don't care about score either, so to claim that the ONLY reason for this wish is to protect their score (or name in lights) is false.

I reiterate, get shot down.  Bail.  Wait in a field for your buddy.  When he gets there, .ef and .join your buddy.  Gun for him all the way home.

What's the difference, other than score and name in lights?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 05:03:51 PM »
Wiley, while I understand what you are saying with your posts. There is no need to repeat it in a thread about adding a pilot rescue feature to AH. Now if the thread was about how to simulate pilot rescue with the tools we have available currently in game, then I wouldn't have any problem with the reiteration of your first post.  We get it, you don't like the idea; but you don't get anywhere just expressing the same statement repeatedly. Do you have any other reasons or arguments against the inclusion of pilot rescue that might add to the debate?
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 05:04:07 PM »

That isn't quite the same thing.  Running supplies in a jeep has an effect on the game.  If there were no cost to it being added and no benefit to the player using it I wouldn't have any problem with it being in the game, it would just be something for people to do when they wanted.  However, it has a cost in the time to program it and any benefit added to encourage its use would be detrimental to the game as the game requires players to fight against and the more the better.  Players sitting on a hillside waiting for rescue are taken out of that pool of participating players.

I also don't think it is reasonable to recover the perk cost of your B-29 if you don't land it successfully.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 05:18:24 PM »
Wiley, while I understand what you are saying with your posts. There is no need to repeat it in a thread about adding a pilot rescue feature to AH. Now if the thread was about how to simulate pilot rescue with the tools we have available currently in game, then I wouldn't have any problem with the reiteration of your first post.  We get it, you don't like the idea; but you don't get anywhere just expressing the same statement repeatedly. Do you have any other reasons or arguments against the inclusion of pilot rescue that might add to the debate?

Baumer's point was:

And there are many others like me that don't care about score either, so to claim that the ONLY reason for this wish is to protect their score (or name in lights) is false.

I am pointing out that as far as I can see, it is not false, and asking what other addition it brings to the table?  It is not there to add to gameplay, it is there to give people a way to ensure nothing bad happens to their numbers as long as they have enough patience, except it's couched in a warm fuzzy 'It would add something to the game' message.

Karnak's last post hits it square on the head.  People waiting for rescue are people not fighting.  Recovering perks as long as you have enough time on your hands smacks of the kind of gameplay most other MMOs are built on.  It is a step in the wrong direction.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 05:19:11 PM »
I reiterate, get shot down.  Bail.  Wait in a field for your buddy.  When he gets there, .ef and .join your buddy.  Gun for him all the way home.

What's the difference, other than score and name in lights?

Wiley.

'2 weeks' of 'coading' stolen from *my* pet project (the Spanish Civil War - we still need at least 4 more planes modeled - the Spanish terrain may be a community project).  
(edit - I mean .... if the request was modeled - not your version of accomplishing the same basic thing).  :salute
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:21:56 PM by Arlo »

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »
Thanks for elaborating Wiley. I have no problem with somebody remaking their point as long as they throw in some more details and don't just basically retype their previous post.  Heck, as Karnak knows from the last pilot rescue topic; I might even end up and agree with you if you make a compelling enough argument.

I'll rip up my forum police badge now. (I accidentally colored outside the lines on it anyway :D)
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »
 You are demanding something that would be bad for the game.  

Disclaimer: I could NOT care less about the storch or its abilities.

This is a "WISH" forum, NOT a "demand" forum, people post "wishes". Why is it people get their panties in a bunch when someone makes a wish they disagree with?? Some of you guys act like your making up Hitechs mind for him........... :headscratch:

NOT

AKNOT

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »
Thanks for elaborating Wiley. I have no problem with somebody remaking their point as long as they throw in some more details and don't just basically retype their previous post.  Heck, as Karnak knows from the last pilot rescue topic; I might even end up and agree with you if you make a compelling enough argument.

I'll rip up my forum police badge now. (I accidentally colored outside the lines on it anyway :D)

No blood, no foul. :)  You've got a point, I should've made it clearer what I was responding to.

I just don't want this game to get watered down in certain ways.  I've played a lot of MMOs, and one of the things that this game is relatively free of is beggars standing around asking for free stuff, or for people to do something for them so they don't have to do it for themselves.  I abhor changes that will result in things like multitudes of people on channel 'I just crashed my 262/had 3 kills/whatever, somebody needs to take me home in a storch so my numbers aren't affected.'

Not good gameplay.

This is a "WISH" forum, NOT a "demand" forum, people post "wishes". Why is it people get their panties in a bunch when someone makes a wish they disagree with?? Some of you guys act like your making up Hitechs mind for him........... :headscratch:

Nah.  Hitech makes up his own mind.  Just pointing out why bad ideas are bad ideas, so perhaps if people see why they are bad ideas, they might consider their suggestions a bit more carefully, and refine their ideas before they come to the board with them.

Wiley.

JG11