Author Topic: Best RAF photo collection on the web...  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Best RAF photo collection on the web...
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:20:43 PM »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: Best RAF photo collection on the web...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 11:34:31 PM »
Great stuff, thanks for posting.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 11:40:42 PM »
awesome.  :aok
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 12:21:50 AM »
Thanks for the link, great stuff.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 12:31:01 AM »
Thanks for posting
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 01:07:43 AM »
Lots of great pictures, many planes I did not know even existed.

Some questions. How many UK units flew the P-38, where and what models? I saw a couple pictures of P-51Bs, one of which included what appeared to be a 4x20mm gun package. If so...this needs to be in the game! And where those Hispanos? I saw one picture of a P-47 though not certain what model. Was this a "captured, Yank" bird or did the Brits fly this in unit strength? Did they have any units flying the PonyD?

I searched a bit on this and didn't find answers. I am guessing some might know right off the top of their heads. Thanks in advance, and maybe we focus on that 4x20mm gun package for starters! Skuzzy?!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline lengro

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 03:36:51 AM »
What a great collection - thanks for sharing.
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" Tuco - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 08:31:26 AM »
Wow!!!   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:38:07 AM »
Thank you for posting Widewing. That's a nice collection, with a fair few I hadn't seen before.

The UK never flew the P-38 in anger. They ordered a version without turbochargers, but later cancelled them.

The P-51 with cannons was a Mk Ia. There were IIRC about 150 made with the RAF getting about 120. They were used for low level recon and "Rhubarb" missions over France, shooting up trains etc. This version had the Allison engine, so it would lack the high alt performance of the P-51s we have now. Might see it as a perk plane if and when HTC model the P-51A.

The RAF was a major user of the P-47 in the Far East, not in the ETO and MTO  though.

The RAF used a lot of P-51s in Europe from the A version right through to the K.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:39:44 AM by Greebo »

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »
Thanks Greebo!

Lots of good information with only a couple follow-ups. First, were the P-51A and P-51K British designations? I understood there to be a prepoduction P-51A but that lead to the production model B. Also, the K model? Any good sources on the 47s flown by our British brethren? Had no idea. I always thought the Brits let us fly the fatboys while they tooled around in fancy Spits and fast Typs/Temps...mistaken again!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »
Nice pics.   :aok

Offline pangea

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 11:47:00 AM »
Very nice... Thanks Widewing!

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 12:21:50 PM »
The P-51K was basically just a D with a different propeller. The RAF called their aircraft Mustang Mk I, II, III and IV.

Early Mustangs with the single stage Allison engine had a number of different variants. The RAF called them Mustang Mk I, IA (the rare Hispano variant) or Mk II, the main differences being in armament layout. In US service they were P-51, P-51A or A-36, the last was a dive bomber variant with air brakes. A few of the RAF's Hispano Mustangs were used by the USAAF as camera equipped recon fighters, can't recall the designation offhand. The Packard Merlin equipped Mk III and IV were equivalents of the B/C and D/K.

The RAF's P-47s were all Ds and only varied from the US versions in minor equipment, radios and bomb racks etc. They replaced Hurricanes in the SEAC theater and were used for ground attack mostly. Can't think of a good source on SEAC Thunderbolts right now, but I'll let you know if I do.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »
What on earth is that Jet engined flying boat? :O

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 06:12:03 PM »
Awesome sight.  :aok
Yes, your on "Ignore"