Author Topic: I hate bad teachers  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: I hate bad teachers
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2012, 04:20:11 PM »
It comes with experience, which can be gained by working with higher-level formulas right away.  Think of it like using a hammer; there's no point in spending hours perfecting your swing, just build something that uses the hammer a lot.  The hammer can be any basic idea, and the thing being built using it is a higher-level idea that incorporates it.  We do it that way in chemistry.  We are given the periodic table and that of the cations and anions, and don't need to memorize it.  However, by constant use in many areas I have ended up memorizing the atomic numbers, masses, families, and positions of a good number of elements.  Drilling that wouldn't have sped me up that much, and the time was spent on learning more subjects in greater depth.

Do you guys agree that incorporating basic concepts into higher ones is a better option than drilling them for subjects like math and chemistry?

-Penguin
Math and chemistry are two different subjects and need to be taught differently.
Even the packet that you're given to use on the AP test has a periodic table and a lot of formulas on it.
That said, there's still a lot of stuff you need to memorize for chemistry. Just less equations and stuff, as the important thing is to remember how to apply the equations.
In math, you're not given equations/formulas so much as you're given rules. And rules need to be memorized, plain and simple. When I took calculus my teacher (probably the best teacher I've ever had, and I was lucky enough to have him two years in a row) had given us several sheets that were printed front and back with formulas. At the beginning of the year they were all gibberish... halfway through we'd memorized around two of the pages front and back. Most people had lost them as we never used them. Finding something on there is a nightmare, as even being printed front and back there was a lot of information condensed in a little space. But at the same time, it all seemed like it was obvious and didn't need to be said... because that's just how math works. I guess I'm muddling this a little bit but there's a point... and I guess it's that there are no 'big' and 'small' concepts in math, it's just a pyramid that progressively gets bigger and bigger, and if you're like me or any of my friends, it's something that clicks around the time you get to calculus... and all the ways that you've been taught math all of the sudden make sense, and you never ask 'when will I ever use this?' ever again, because you realize that even if something doesn't really seem to be very useful at the moment in a year or two it will be essential, and even if something seems hard in another month it will be step 1 of a 5 step problem and you'll be able to do it without thinking, and you begin to appreciate (to a degree) when your teacher makes you do it 'the hard way' or doesn't give you the shortcut. Math's funny like that.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »
Well, I could say something about you being a sad case with no life, as evidenced by your continuing to make large volumes of posts complaining about Aces High gameplay and squads while you don't even have an active account:rofl  But then, I'm pretty sure everyone can already see that.

I could also make posts calling you out for being an immature kid who simply parrots other peoples' (most notably, your KN squaddies) hateful and negative opinions in an attempt to 'fit in' and be edgy. For example, your regular attacks on the Top Gun squadron, despite the fact that you haven't even had an active account since before that squad was formed:lol You're slamming the entire squad, because...? DrBone and JOACH1M have owned you a lot in the past? Because perdweeb has some sand in his vagina? Grow up and stop the baseless hate speech and maybe I would have some small modicum of respect for you.

Another example is your bandwagon hatred of my squad The Few (skill-less horders apparently =D). I've never even seen you online once in all my time playing the game, which suggests you do not play in a timezone where Euro-based players (the majority of The Few) are flying. But still, you know all about us, right?

oh, and I've never made a remark to you except about grammar? nice selective memory you've got there :aok 

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,327068.msg4280014.html#msg4280014
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,322838.msg4231503.html#msg4231503

just a couple from recent memory, I know there were some more in the past but I'm too lazy to search that far back  :angel:

Oh, and you're also one of the guys who whines all the time about being bombed while in a GV  :cry (Image removed from quote.)

And despite all these things, the fact that there are little kids in European primary schools who can write better English than you is what disgusts me the most.  :old: If you were my kid I'd have you put down.

Sounds like someone stole your sweet roll.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2012, 04:56:31 PM »
If you were my kid I'd have you put down.

:O        

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

You Sir, are the first recipient of a perfect 5 rofl's out of 5.

Keep up the good work.

:salute

EDIT:
If you were my kid, I'd have you put down.

Fixed.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:58:37 PM by Melvin »
See Rule #4

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »
Sounds like someone stole your sweet roll.

maybe, but the Mrs just brought me a bacon sandwich  :D

and that's pretty ironic coming from a member of the whiniest group of babies I've ever seen in over 10 years of online gaming (I'm including Debrody even though he left your squad ;) )
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:44:00 PM by coombz »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2012, 05:55:55 PM »
maybe, but the Mrs just brought me a bacon sandwich  :D

and that's pretty ironic coming from a member of the whiniest group of babies I've ever seen in over 10 years of online gaming (I'm including Debrody even though he left your squad ;) )

We just let people know when we are dissatisfied with certain aspects of their game play.

10 years really?
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2012, 06:19:05 PM »
Regarding calculators, they only need a little bit of regulation to be used effectively.  They make working with large, small, and complicated numbers easier.  In chemistry, for example, I just isolate the variable and let the calculator sort out the mess on the right side.  There's no thought in just grinding out long multiplication problems.  However, in math, I see a perversion of the subject in the way that we test for knowledge.  As you said, checking is of the utmost importance, but we are only given enough time to go through the problem once.  If we teach it that way, then 'being thorough' is replaced with 'being a calculator' because the only way that a human can make sure that the answer is right is by plugging the answer back in, while a calculator will always produce the same answer  (garbage in, garbage out still applies).

Time pressure causes stress, which causes errors, which misrepresents actual comprehension of the material.  Furthermore, 'speed' is not something that needs to be drilled.  It comes with experience, which can be gained by working with higher-level formulas right away.  Think of it like using a hammer; there's no point in spending hours perfecting your swing, just build something that uses the hammer a lot.  The hammer can be any basic idea, and the thing being built using it is a higher-level idea that incorporates it.  We do it that way in chemistry.  We are given the periodic table and that of the cations and anions, and don't need to memorize it.  However, by constant use in many areas I have ended up memorizing the atomic numbers, masses, families, and positions of a good number of elements.  Drilling that wouldn't have sped me up that much, and the time was spent on learning more subjects in greater depth.

Do you guys agree that incorporating basic concepts into higher ones is a better option than drilling them for subjects like math and chemistry?

-Penguin

No I don't agree because if you were thrown in to a college level physics class hat involved calculus you wouldn't have any i dea what is going on without taking calculus previously.  You have to learn math in and out.

You always have enough time to check your work.  It doesn't matter how much time you are given.  As you said  "speed... comes with experience" do your homework.  If you aren't fast enough.  Do more problems until you are.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2012, 06:31:41 PM »
10 years really?

probably more  :old:

I guess you can't really count playing Doom/Doom 2 via null modem ;----)  But I was enjoying stuff like Duke3D, Warcraft 2 and Quake on various online services when I was 15 ish, which is more like 13 years ago

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »
probably more  :old:

I guess you can't really count playing Doom/Doom 2 via null modem ;----)  But I was enjoying stuff like Duke3D, Warcraft 2 and Quake on various online services when I was 15 ish, which is more like 13 years ago

Starcraft is much better than Warcraft ever thought of being.

That's what I was playing back then online. That and Diablo.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »
If you were my kid I'd have you put down.
Well that was kinda harsh.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »
Well that was kinda harsh.

That was hilarious.

Even if he did forget the comma.
See Rule #4

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 06:52:10 PM »
Starcraft is much better than Warcraft ever thought of being.

That's what I was playing back then online. That and Diablo.

I could never get into SC...but then I am terrible at RTS games in general

much love for Diablo though. They just don't make 'em like they used to...which is why I can't really get excited for D3 :(

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2012, 07:03:04 PM »
I could never get into SC...but then I am terrible at RTS games in general

much love for Diablo though. They just don't make 'em like they used to...which is why I can't really get excited for D3 :(

Yeah I imagine its going to try and cater to the WoW drones which would be terrible.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

Offline Matador

• Zinc Member
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2012, 08:49:40 PM »
wolframalpha.com is you friend for solving math problems. just as a warning dont get used to just typing it in, actually try to work it out, use the "show steps" tool to see where you could have gone wrong or if you are stuck at a certain point.

usually I use it for integrations that can get complex fast especially involving partial fraction decomposition
Righteous Vengeance
Matador
VMF-222 (FSO)

Offline bigsky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »
numbers + letters = waste of my time = not important math to me
"I am moist like bacon"

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2012, 10:45:58 AM »
wolframalpha.com is you friend for solving math problems. just as a warning dont get used to just typing it in, actually try to work it out, use the "show steps" tool to see where you could have gone wrong or if you are stuck at a certain point.

usually I use it for integrations that can get complex fast especially involving partial fraction decomposition

Good advice, that site is really useful especially when teaching yourself new and complicated material.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer