Author Topic: ENY and side balancing outdated and a freking JOKE!  (Read 6347 times)

Offline Chauncy

• Copper Member
Re: ENY and side balancing outdated and a freking JOKE!
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
Seriously though.  ENY should be based on what percentage of the total players each side has.

For instance: If all three sides had 100 players the percentage per side would be 33 percent.

(Yes I know .33333333 blah blah. but let's just round it to .333)

100 = .333
100 = .333
100 = .333

Now, using the image above let's adjust ENY based on total percantages. That way, all sides are adjusted according to their strength in numbers.

The sides above represent the following percentages:

153 = .268   So, .268 is less than the even sides .333 by .065  (-6.5 percent). 
205 = .359   So, .359 is more than the even sides .333 by .026 (+2.6 percent).
213 = .373   So, .373 is more than the even sides .333 by .040 (+4.0 percent).

So why not have the perk points and cost points adjusted by that type of pecentage both + and - values?

Now, I am sure that something like this is already the formula for the perk points awarded and the cost of perked acft.
But, why not have the acft availability in the hanger affected like this?
Have all acft graded on a curve with the Earliest acft graded at a "1" and the latest (most perked) acft graded at "99" (we leave the last 1 percent out of the eq for giggles to let sides that are only very slightly higher still use all planes). I am sure there is a hierarchy list somewhere on the relative values of the planes.
Fill in all planes between the "1" and "99" with the rest using decimal values when there are more than 99 acft and a plane is evaluated to be between two whole numbers.

Once you have a 1-99 list the percentages are once again plugged in. The side with the +4.0 percent cannot fly a plane that has a value of 95 or less.  Simple as that.  Currently the eny has to go down to what 5 ?? before a side is penalized an availability.  Look at the numbers and the ENY above.  The 4 percent penalty would not hurt the high side vs the middle side that much because they would also be suffering their own penalty of not being able to fly planes affected by their 2.6 percent ENY.

All three sides are affected by their actual numbers both good and bad.  The middle guy doesn't get a free pass if they have many more than the low side, and their existance in the middle doesn't skew the high side to not appear to be that much higher.

Thoughts?

Chauncy

Got Dolphins?

Offline Chauncy

• Copper Member
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
I based my ENY calculations on the thought that when all sides are even. When one side makes a mission. That side is taking the calculated risk that other bases on their side will not be attacked and taken due to the reduced manpower spread throughout the front while those pilots are in the mission.

But when a side has 70 more player (yes, this has been happening a lot lately) They can have almost three full missions (call them hordes if you want) runnign taking bases while the non-extra players maintain the even manpower numbers throughout the rest of the front.

I have nothing against missions or so-called hordes when the sides are even.  Like I said. The side running the mission is taking a calculated risk of being attacked somewhere else while they are running their attack. 

60 or 70 extra players on a side is simply overwhelming and makes you feel like you are playing chess against somebody that has two extra rows of pawns to just waste on you.

Got Dolphins?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »
More targets
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2012, 09:44:11 AM »
Problem with that is that large missions would exempt, or at least limit, the effect of ENY on them.

If you're in a mission, I'd rate that as active. If the mission leaves and 5 mins later you still haven't clicked that little button to launch.. now you're inactive, button or no.

Like I said, I was really buzzed and the details were hard to make real  :D

EDIT: Also if ENY at time of mission creation is say.. 6, then the designer puts in alot of Niki's and what not (think niki eny is 8 now) and wait for 7 minutes for the fill-up.. then at the launch of the mission, if the ENY is now 10, then just like now... time to remake the mission!! All people in the mission are considered active, so they are counted while sitting in the tower or riding in the air all the same.

It's not perfect, but IMO it's a better solution. But I can't stay away long enough to quit for two weeks in protest so I live with what we got and whine about it when I get agrivated.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 10:51:38 AM by SEseph »
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »
 :aok

Offline ttflier

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2012, 01:35:12 PM »
What the ENY system does not account for in its current configuration is WHERE on the map the overwhelming numbers are being utilized.  For example, the Bish could have an overwhelming number of players, but be completely focused on the Rook front. The ENY system as it is designed does not seem to be able to account for this, thus leaving the Rooks in a position to contend with a Bish horde and having an ENY (or no ENY as it usually seems to happen) that assumes player numbers are evenly disbursed (how many times have we all heard "gee, the ROOKS and the KNitS aren't fighting each other, AGAIN").

My thought would be an ENY system that is pitted head to head with the two other countries, Bish vs Knight, Bish vs Rook and vice versa.  This way each country would have a ENY restriction when going head to head.  ENY restrictions would be parsed base by base and could extend 1, 2, 3 sectors from the given Country (ever changing) front line (if someone wants to overcome the ENY restriction by upping 3 sectors away - go for it!).  Obviously this would not really restrict bombers since many missions are long range but could certainly prevent NOE bomb/bail and LankStuka scenarios.

Example of an ENY Table:

Bishop            Knight          Rook
Players           100                 80                60
---------------------------------------------------------
Bish vs ENY       X                  10                 20
Rook vs ENY      0                   0                  X
Knight vs ENY    0                   X                 10

My ENY example numbers are arbitrary, used as just to show the setup. 

I also believe that using a system like this will work to balance the attack load across the map, driving players into theaters where the ENY is more evenly matched in order to get their favorite ride.  In addition, more than likely no side will every be completely restricted within their respective country from a given airplane or GV based upon an unbalanced ENY.

Just a thought......
Tree Top Flier (ttflier)

http://www.91stbombgroup.net

"Bush league pilots just can't get the job done" lyrics by Stephen Stills

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
Eny Seems to have gone away nearly entirely when a good # of players are in the arena.  It's when numbers drop that ENY comes crashing down like skuzzy's hammer and boots.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2012, 08:08:20 PM »
What percentage of it is out of date?

side A has 180 players........side B has 180 players.........side C has 120 players....NO eny for A/b

side A has 40 players..........side B has 40 players............side C has 20 players......ENY 15+ for A/B...wow that works
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
side A has 180 players........side B has 180 players.........side C has 120 players....NO eny for A/b

side A has 40 players..........side B has 40 players............side C has 20 players......ENY 15+ for A/B...wow that works

you see 60 more players but all i see is 60 more  knights sitting in the tower yelling why we arent taking bases.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 09:00:19 AM »
you see 60 more players but all i see is 60 more  knights sitting in the tower yelling why we arent taking bases.

semp

snicker
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 09:09:34 AM »

semp

Bwahahahahahaha

I have little input on this subject because I could care less about ENY, but that right there is some funny stuff.
I love the 109-F. The only thing ENY gains me is extra points if i score a hit or two before someone augers out of pity for me.

Bob

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:09 AM »
Bwahahahahahaha

I have little input on this subject because I could care less about ENY, but that right there is some funny stuff.
I love the 109-F. The only thing ENY gains me is extra points if i score a hit or two before someone augers out of pity for me.

Bob

109-F can be quite deadly in the right hands  :D
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2012, 09:43:28 AM »
109-F can be quite deadly in the right hands  :D

If those hands are populated exclusively with thumbs, not so much.  :D

Bob

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
If those hands are populated exclusively with thumbs, not so much.  :D

Bob

Try using lots of throttle management and vertical maneuvers and see how that helps.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2012, 04:46:38 PM »

semp

I blame SuperFly - finishing and furnishing our towers straight out of his Lazy Boy catalog.   :bhead
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.