Author Topic: Ramming Speed!  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Re: Ramming Speed!
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »
The 'if you see it' premise is completely incorrect.  I've had many instances where in forcing an overshoot, rather than do the right thing and shoot past into my gun sights, the plane will press to keep with a manuver he cannot hope to match, and ram me squarely from behind.

In almost every instance of this happening, my plane is in two pieces, I am 'charged' with the collision, and the other guy flies past unscathed.

I'm not sure if you're making a joke or not, but that fits perfectly with how collisions work.  When someone says "if you see it" they mean the game, from your end, from your computer, detected that two aircraft were in the same place at the same time.  Since your computer detected that collision, you receive damage.  However, your computer cannot dole out damage to other people.  The second aircraft "sees" on his computer that he pulled up and away so his computer sees two aircraft in two separate locations, thus no damage is done.

It's hard for a lot of people to grasp that one fight can look different to each pilot.  Read up on the lag page link if you haven't already.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2012, 02:21:49 PM »
Outstanding Jayhawk.  :aok
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 02:23:44 PM »
The 'if you see it' premise is completely incorrect.  I've had many instances where in forcing an overshoot, rather than do the right thing and shoot past into my gun sights, the plane will press to keep with a manuver he cannot hope to match, and ram me squarely from behind.

In almost every instance of this happening, my plane is in two pieces, I am 'charged' with the collision, and the other guy flies past unscathed.

it is NOT actually see's the other plane, it's as Jayhawk says your computer detects a collision. So Hitech quote should really read....

A faster computer and connection speed as almost no effect on lag.  has ZERO effect on lag.

But connect speed is really a moot point. Because the lag TIME is the combined lag of both people, hence you will both HAVE the exact same lag unless your connection in and out do not take the same path. But the lag still will not effect the collision, what your computer detects is what you get, and you have no way of determining what the other persons computer detects.
A great myth.

And if you could actually fly your plane precisely enough to do a pass that you could predict a collision on the other persons end, there would be no reason to do so, it would be simpler just to shoot him with that type of flying skill.

HiTech

HiTech

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2012, 02:25:14 PM »

RTFM! http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/lag/lag.htm
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »

Yep ... but these guys are just going to call you a liar or tell you, that wasn't REALLY what happened ...
To be fair ...  when they say IF YOU SEE IT ... What (I think) they really MEAN is ... If the event takes place ON YOUR COMPUTER ... For those who have heard that "If your ENGINE is HIT you will die" ... someone has misunderstood the term FRONT END. It doesn't mean the front end of your plane,  basically it means what can be seen on your screen.
:aok
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »
No one is denying that collisions happen, and sometimes they suck.  But you have to be able to back-up accusations that border on impossible with actual proof.

I can tell you that I hit a spitfire five times with a 30mm tator and it didn't die, but unless I show you proof, no one will believe me.

Folks, play nice.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »
Front end does not just refer to what you can see on your screen.  Your computer is only displaying a small view of what the camera sees of the 3D environment it is calculating.

As to intentional ramming, yes, it can happen though it takes luck and/or persistence.  While you fly back and forth in front of his plane trying to hit it with the image of your plane on his computer, you better hope he is out of ammo or he will just blow you out of the sky.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline chaser

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2012, 10:30:31 PM »
Forcing a collision isn't really THAT hard. It's easiest to do against bombers. You can pull up right in front of them and make a VERY close pass to their nose and fly away without colliding on your end but completely destroy the bomber.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2012, 10:35:04 PM »
Wow...  flame-fest, and I even prefaced it with 'if you see it'.

MaB A-Sys Hi shuld ad a reerveew meeror so i can sees it?!?!

:salute
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2012, 11:17:29 PM »
Wow...  flame-fest, and I even prefaced it with 'if you see it'.

MaB A-Sys Hi shuld ad a reerveew meeror so i can sees it?!?!

:salute

Funny how the "flame-fests" happen when someone says something stupid.

Folks, play nice.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 01:27:27 AM »
...and still it speaks.

:rofl  :aok
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 03:16:35 AM »
Forcing a collision isn't really THAT hard. It's easiest to do against bombers. You can pull up right in front of them and make a VERY close pass to their nose and fly away without colliding on your end but completely destroy the bomber.
I suspect it's easier to anticipate bombers as they change attitude and altitude at a slower rate. As I understand it, in a Fighter to Fighter HO, you KNOW the guy is trying to hit the image he sees of where your plane has been, if you have a good FEEL for 3D geometry and a sense of WHERE the enemy plane you see WAS before you recieved it's image, you can intuitively distinguish the path he will try to fly to get his guns to bear on the image he is recieving ... intersect that path at the right moment and ... HE has a collision and dies.
:huh

I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 07:37:25 AM »
M-18 monster trucks and Enemy La on the rearm pad with an unexpected outcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOqS2MfDbjw

Why are guns on some planes (like the La in video) collision proof though?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:00:26 AM by Rob52240 »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 08:49:59 AM »

You don't understand. The bandit didn't fly into you, he flew past you. That's why he's unscathed. He saw where you were and avoided you. There was no collision. This is completely true at the same time that it's true that you had a collision with the same bandit. An aircraft hit you on your PC so you took damage. The only problem is that you want the bandit who didn't hit anyone to have damage too.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2012, 10:38:53 AM »
We need the collision flow chart again it looks like :P