Author Topic: Ramming Speed!  (Read 1959 times)

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
Ramming Speed!
« on: February 04, 2012, 10:07:40 AM »
Probably an OLD rant? but -I- really wish (Hostile) Midair Collisions left no survivors. I'm not sure what the criteria IS for surviving a midair. I've been told several different things by people whose info is generally reliable ... REAL aircraft SELDOM survive midair collisions and certainly are unable to continue to fly and fight as if nothing has happened. RAMMING seems to be a 50/50 ATTACK TACTIC employed consistantly by some people who can't even manage a decent HO ... If that's what it takes, so be it ... but they shouldn't fly away from it to do it again, just because the dice came up lucky for them.
:rock
I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Re: Ramming Speed!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 10:16:14 AM »
It is incredibly hard to intentionally ram someone in game. 

Damage is done to your aircraft if you "see" a collision on your end.  I think you'd end up find it even more frustrating if you were flying and clearly missed another plane but still received the damage from it.  This is a concession we have to make due to the internet.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 10:59:13 AM »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »

QFT. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:18:39 AM »
Probably an OLD rant? but -I- really wish (Hostile) Midair Collisions left no survivors. I'm not sure what the criteria IS for surviving a midair. I've been told several different things by people whose info is generally reliable ... REAL aircraft SELDOM survive midair collisions and certainly are unable to continue to fly and fight as if nothing has happened. RAMMING seems to be a 50/50 ATTACK TACTIC employed consistantly by some people who can't even manage a decent HO ... If that's what it takes, so be it ... but they shouldn't fly away from it to do it again, just because the dice came up lucky for them.

just because your flying was poor enough NOT to avoid the collision, the other guy shouldn't be punished for flying better and AVOIDING it. What you see on your computer will ALWAYS be different than what the other guy sees on his due to lag.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »
I was just reading about a P-61 that RTB'd with an 8" diameter tree stuck in it's wing.

Fix the trees.

:neener:

Now, are we talking about the collision model again or a damaged plane, missing a big chunk of wing or horizontal stabilizer due to a collision, continuing to fly?

It makes you wonder.
This plane made it back:

This one didn't:

Both missing horizontal stabs.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »
My advice would be to not make wishes on things you clearly don't understand.  You're wish would result in a rammer's paradise.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 12:15:19 PM »
its even funnier when the other person is charged with the collision and you take all the damage in the world and they dont have a scratch

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »

The story: I was de-acking a town in a 109K4 (which is surprisingly effective), and in comes a 262 with a smoking engine. The evil grin on my face just got 10x wider. With only ~20 taters left, I try to spray him down from d800. No luck, I'm all out of ammo. He then loses his smoking engine, I start peppering him with the MGs from d1000 down to d200. Only a handful hit (yea, I suck at aiming), and he's still flying. "It's a Me262", I tell myself, "all 262s MUST die."

The inevitable:

Who else can say they rammed a 262 from behind?  :devil  :D :bolt:

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 12:28:17 PM »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 12:32:21 PM »
Those pictures do not show what you think they show.

Sense of humor. Gone.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 05:16:44 PM »
its even funnier when the other person is charged with the collision and you take all the damage in the world and they dont have a scratch

Bullets.

You collided with his bullets. Or was he just flying to close so you could see him wave hello?

There is no charged with the collision.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »

You obviously have no idea how collisions work as that is not possible.

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »

I might not but thats definantly happend. It happend a few days ago and numerous times before that

Offline EVZ

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 08:08:31 PM »
I think what 4 prop is refering to is the message recieved in the text buffer ? It may say "you have collided with" or it may say "so & so has collided with you." This seems to indicate someone is being tagged as responsible.

As for those who think Collisions are HARD TO DO ... Let me introduce you to a couple guys who will do it to you 5 times straight in 5 passes.

It gets old FAST, but regardless of the cause, If 2 people collide & 2 people go down. There will soon be a lot fewer collisions.
:cool:

I am my Ideal ! - You may now return to your petty bickering.