Author Topic: Was GV manual shift ever put back into the game?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Buckaroo

• Zinc Member
      • 3-in-1: Lathe_Mill_Drill (metal machine shop)
Re: Was GV manual shift ever put back into the game?
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
I recall discussions about allowing players the option of manual gear shift for GVs.  Does anyone recall whether this was implemented in the game, and/or where the threads discussing this were.  Our search engine doesn't work well for recent instances of common words like "gears". 

Thanks in advance,
MH

I think it just got too expensive between guys burning out clutch plates too early and the manual transmission's journals wearing out inside the precast case.

I always have felt Aces High needs a motor pool for fix-up.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2012, 12:37:13 PM »
This is because some tanks have "zero-turn" ability, like a new mower, i.e. the tracks will move in opposite directions, in-place, allowing the tank to pivot without the need for forward motion.

Yeah, I know. But I've read complaints about how the tank actually creeps forward during (or maybe after) the pivot. My point was that perhaps the rudder control is not centered/dampened/calibrated and is what is causing this "creeping forward when fully stopped on a flat surface."
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2012, 01:12:48 PM »
Some tanks - seems the most popular ones - can pivot in place by using only rudder-pedal input. If you're at a complete stop and pivot with your rudder, you will creep forward.  At least that's what I've been reading, since I don't GV much.

Good point, but I would have thought that my deadband settings on the rudder pedals would have eliminated unintended turn input, and thus would have eliminated any "move" type instructions to the game engine.  Maybe I didn't have the pedals centered, given the stress of the moment.  I will keep an eye on this. 

MH

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »
Is this thread just asking how to put a tank in neutral while going down a hill now that we have automatic transmissions?
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 01:21:38 PM »
Is this thread just asking how to put a tank in neutral while going down a hill now that we have automatic transmissions?

You don't need to be in neutral - Just just Shift + W and drive straight over a cliff and watch how fast you go :cheers:

/sent my panther doing 92mph into the middle of an enemy spawn yesterday YEHAWWWWW till I went boom  :bhead
JG 52

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 01:54:20 PM »

There's no need to; they still travel at airplane speed if the hill is steep enough.  The only difference is that they now seem to fly through the air after going over a bump at those speeds.   

MH