Author Topic: EARLY P-51 MUSTANG VARIANT  (Read 21116 times)

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: EARLY P-51 MUSTANG VARIANT
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »
No, you really really need to check your facts. First, the F6 model armed with cannon was used as recon -- rarely even ground attack. It was loaded with a large camera behind the pilot's head pointing out sideways. This model did see recon service same as many other recon models -- F5 among them. However it was not a fighter unit nor was it a main combat unit. Did they go into harm's way? Yes... But they weren't in it to fight. They were gathering intel above all else.

Second, F was NOT to indicate fighter. Please do a little checking. P = Pursuit = Fighter. F was the code designation for recon craft. Which is why the P-51 was a fighter but the F6 was not. The P-38 was a fighter but the F5 was not.

Savvy?

Read up on it

Savvy?
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 01:10:44 PM »
Of. The Allison birds the 4 cannon version would be last on the list.  A36 would be first with the mg RAF bird or the USAAF 4 50 cal and dt/bomb capable version second.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »
Didn't the British originaly contract for 200 of the A36 as the Mustang MkIA with 4 long barreled hispano which they used up to almost the end of the war as low level recon and general straffing and bombing duties? But, the AAF kept back a few designated as the F6B.

The Brits originally contracted for them but the US took posession of them -- so it was the US that used them not the RAF. RAF had non-cannon-armed Allison-powered mustangs, though. They were not bombers, and weren't used heavily as strafers either. They were slow and underpowered and phased out with faster planes that could get in, do the recon, and get out without being so vulnerable. Spits and so forth replaced it in its duties.

It didn't have a galmorous career. It wasn't a major factor or part of the war.

You neglect one thing, in your desparaging comments, bustr. Usually #1 is the bald-faced truth of the matter. Most wish requests are so ignorant or selfish that they really, truly, only want more cannons on planes that don't really need them. Often requesting a plane with big guns but not understanding (through ignorance) the plane wouldn't give them what they want because of flaws in its performance.

P.S. Megalodon, I just explained to you how and why you are wrong. Please read more before spreading inaccuracies.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 01:22:12 PM »
Facts Krusty, till now I've never seen a good pic of this plane except for the 1 in my 1st post.
All the sudden I found quite a few . So I have been researching it for 2 days.

Not only did they have 20mm's they had eggs on there A36's and as I stated  they did 100's of missions in support of ground troops as well as recon for the tanks and infantry fire.

Dean Gilmore has an air kill and the "Snoopers" were in squadron form.

I would like both of these versions in the game.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:40:37 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »
The RAF Allison birds were flown until the end of the war in the Army Co-op role much the same as the Allison Mustang did for the USAAF in the Tac Recon role.  You could find them with Malcom hoods mixed in with Merlin F6 Mustangs.  And of course the 1st Air Commandos used the Allison Mustang.

That being said, and as this debate has happened many times here, I've come to believe the A36 would be the one to add first due to the niche it would fill both in special events and in the arenas.

While the cannon bird certainly saw action, in comparison to the other versions it was minor and let's be honest,within AH, 4 cannons have a bigger impact then they probably should.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »
The RAF Allison birds were flown until the end of the war in the Army Co-op role much the same as the Allison Mustang did for the USAAF in the Tac Recon role.  You could find them with Malcom hoods mixed in with Merlin F6 Mustangs.  And of course the 1st Air Commandos used the Allison Mustang.

That being said, and as this debate has happened many times here, I've come to believe the A36 would be the one to add first due to the niche it would fill both in special events and in the arenas.

While the cannon bird certainly saw action, in comparison to the other versions it was minor and let's be honest,within AH, 4 cannons have a bigger impact then they probably should.

Usually the debate ends with Ack Ack making the same statements as Krusty.

100's of sorties.... how many sorties did the VLR make?

common numbers made? It falls in with about 5-6 planes in the game, I wont go through them.

Lets have it in the next plane vote and see Tiff :aok

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
The A-36 is not the P-51. The A-36 never (repeat: NEVER) had cannons. Mega, you seem to be mixing up variants a bit - try to understand the differences in the planes and their roles. I have no doubt the A-36s carried bombs, but the cannon-armed ones were NOT A-36s.

Like Guppy said, the A-36 certainly would have a place, but the 4x20mm Mustang Mk I not so much.

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »
Facts Krusty, till now I've never seen a good pic of this plane except for the 1 in my 1st post.
All the sudden I found quite a few . So I have been researching it for 2 days.

Not only did they have 20mm's they had eggs on there A36's and as I stated  they did 100's of missions in support of ground troops as well as recon for the tanks and infantry fire.

Dean Gilmore has an air kill and the "Snoopers" were in squadron form.

I would like gummy bears. please

k

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »
The A-36 is not the P-51. The A-36 never (repeat: NEVER) had cannons. Mega, you seem to be mixing up variants a bit - try to understand the differences in the planes and their roles. I have no doubt the A-36s carried bombs, but the cannon-armed ones were NOT A-36s.

Like Guppy said, the A-36 certainly would have a place, but the 4x20mm Mustang Mk I not so much.

I was talking about the "Snoopers" and I know the difference between the 2 Krusty

F6B

Thank You,
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 01:51:26 PM by Megalodon »

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
I was talking about the "Gummy Bears" and I know Gummy Bears
Thank You,
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 01:53:32 PM »
I'm not smart enough to post a response like my friend Prop

:aok

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
:aok

:ahand
Hows about some facts I think you are confusing the 2, the 4Prop is not the  same as the Nathan60, but I wont bother backing this up with references to where I find my facts
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
I agree it is hard to refute... I feel sorry for them :)
:ahand

:cheers:

Offline 4Prop

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 02:02:06 PM »
you would probably be better at looking at these
http://www.candywarehouse.com/candy-type/gummy-and-jelly-candy/gummi-bears/

seeing as you wasted 2 days already, you could probably use some comfort food to help with all the sadness

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 02:04:26 PM »
Will this work? There is a lot more.

"On 7 July 1943, the 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron began flying combat missions for the Seventh Army's invasion of Sicily with the P-51 Mustang aircraft. After Sicily the squadron supported the Fifth Army's invasion of Italy with reconnaissance and naval gunfire spotting. It pioneered spotting for the long range field artillery. In April 1944, the squadron replaced its old P-51s with new P-51Cs. In August 1944, the 111th squadron supported the Seventh Army's invasion of Southern France and followed that army into Northern France. The squadron was in Nuremberg, Germany when World War II ended, and was assigned to the Occupation Air Force.

In 23 months of combat flying, the 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron flew 7,284 combat sorties, supporting four invasions and participating in a fifth. Squadron pilots shot down 43 enemy aircraft while supporting the ground armies with reconnaissance and long range artillery spotting. The squadron received the Distinguished Unit Citation for combat in February 1945."
http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/snoopers.htm

"In the months prior to WWII,  the "Ace in the Hole" would move several times prior to shipping overseas.  Those months were used to prepare for the war that everyone knew was coming and training was accomplished with several aircraft types: O-49s, O-52s, P-43s, A-20s, P-39s and P-40s.  Basically anything available.   Redesigned the 111th Reconnaissance Squadron (Fighter) and later the 111th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, the Texas National Guard unit would serve in North Africa, Italy and Southern France, flying A-20Bs, P-39Ls, A-36As, P-51As, P-51Bs (and Cs) and F-6s.  During this service, the 111th was assigned to the 68th Tactical Reconnaissance Group, the 69th TRG and later the 10th TRG.  With the end of WWII, the 111th TRS was inactivated."

OH and btw there stationed in Austin Texas
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:22:25 PM by Megalodon »