Author Topic: Drug test  (Read 2314 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Re: Drug test
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »
The idea of welfare people sitting around doing illegal drugs while collecting payments from working people bothers me to no end.   :bhead
The idea of some government employee (read: politician) forcing people to take a drug test while refusing to take one themselves bothers me to no end.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 02:54:02 PM »
he cut fingers off because he smoked a joint...  That doesn't make sense.  Did he admit that.  Why did he win if that was the case?

What doesn't make sense? He smoked a joint then went to work and had a freak accident cutting off a few fingers.

Long story, to make it short - the company he worked for didn't drug test and had a very limited liability insurance, insurance company got the drug test back from the hospital and refused pay out, he sued the company for whatever bs and won an out of court settlement.

He didn't win millions, think it was more along the lines of the original hospital visit costs.
JG 52

Offline BreakingBad

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 03:03:57 PM »
The idea of some government employee (read: politician) forcing people to take a drug test while refusing to take one themselves bothers me to no end.

No skin off my nose.  A lot of public employees are required to undergo drug screening already.  I could care less whether a politician takes a screening or not.

Welfare recipients are a different story though.  If they can afford to buy and use drugs, they can afford not to be on welfare that I pay for. 

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
I am subjected to drug testing where I work. I guess because I daily handle large amounts of cash. I don't like it, never have and never will, however I have never dropped a false positive so the technology seems to be adequate.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 04:28:12 PM »
No skin off my nose.  A lot of public employees are required to undergo drug screening already.  I could care less whether a politician takes a screening or not.

Welfare recipients are a different story though.  If they can afford to buy and use drugs, they can afford not to be on welfare that I pay for. 
You are paying more for the politician than you are for a welfare recipient. It's all tax dollars. Good for the goose, good for the gander.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »

You have to start somewhere.... good a place as any.

80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BreakingBad

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »
You are paying more for the politician than you are for a welfare recipient. It's all tax dollars. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Apples and Oranges.  We elect our representatives to government. 

Able bodied people (or any people) on welfare who are using drugs is a different story. 

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »
Apples and Oranges.  We elect our representatives to government. 

Able bodied people (or any people) on welfare who are using drugs is a different story. 

Is it more a matter of principle for you?  If it's going to cost the state more money than they would save, I'd say it's not a big enough problem to worry about.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 07:14:12 PM »
i thought I heard of a state I believe it was cali that did that and only 3% of the people on welfare were hot.  my opinion, because i work on lowincome housing(all for free i mind you)  is test for tobacco and beer.  Smokes are expensive and so is beer, I have my own habits to support and I dont really like supporting their habits also. :mad:  okay I am going to stop there before this turns into a rant.  reddog2 out

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 09:15:41 PM »
If you are on welfare then you need to pass a drug test to get benefits - I'm sorry but I own rental property and this is just what I see every day.
People that are late 30s and mid 40s collecting social security that do drugs and drink all day - some work day labor to make a few bucks for a score.

Far as work goes - I agree with random testing - I worked for a metal fabrication shop long time ago and remembered they had absolutely no testing what so ever, far as I remember some people were getting drunk and high before work.

Worse case scenario: guy mow'd off 4 fingers to a sawzall because he had a few hits from a joint earlier. He sued the company and eventually won an out of court settlement, the company went bankrupt a few years back.

When I worked for Software spectrum (a third party tech support company) they tested once a month if not twice a month for drugs/alcohol. Problem was the job was extremely stressful and they wanted people to stay mentally fit to handle the stress. They offered a few plans to help cope with the stress, fact you worked 20 minutes each half hour with a 10 minute break, also had a full kitchen and Recreation room to relief stress.

My only problem with drugs is - if you are at home on your couch and decide to fire up a joint - you shouldn't be fired if you test positive 2 weeks later.

+1

I think everyone has a duty to their employer to be sober at work.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 09:27:35 PM »
So do we have a right to have our politicians be sober at work?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 10:11:14 PM »

When our leaders are "leading" us, I would be inclined to say yes.  I would like to believe that I should have the right a reasonable expectation of their sobriety and as such, should be in a sound mind when performing their duties.

When they are at home, I could give a rat's arse what they do, as long as it is not affecting their judgement on the job.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 12:19:12 AM »
there should be no drug testing whatsoever, nor should there be goberment welfare. welfare should be up to the churchs and community's.

i'm pretty sure tom jefferson would feel the same way  ;)

but on the other hand, if u get government help u should have to obey their rules if you asked for the help and it was not forced upon you.

My main point being, do away with welfare altogether and this wouldn't even be an issue. It's not the government's job to teach morality imo. that's the churchs job.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:29:57 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2012, 12:20:22 AM »
did u vote for him? a few more potheads in office might do us some good.....just saying  :cool:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:22:59 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2012, 05:57:22 AM »
in my experiences with welfare, its not so much drugs but people cheating the system.  when we work on homes the occupants must meet certain income levels, I think its 200% poverty which for a house of 3 I think its like 33000.  we have been to homes where people have a brand new chevy 3/4ton truck and 3 bandy new snowmobiles on top of a brand new trailer.  I think thats where people take the system they lie to get it and nobody checks up on this sort of thing.