Author Topic: This dude is a stud  (Read 1537 times)

Offline helbent

• Nickel Member
Re: This dude is a stud
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 07:12:47 AM »
That was cool.  I can imagine him saying, "I may have a poop bag strapped to me, but I still rock."
Creator and original CO of the now HiJacked Squad -=Hell Hounds=-
Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Avator by fugi.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 07:31:59 AM »
And BTW I think there is a world of difference between this guy, and for example a military veteran missing a leg or two who comes back to run a marathon or something.  Oor an oil rig worker who lost an arm on the job who figures out how to play baseball with his kids.  Those stories inspire me.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 08:34:22 AM »
I don't do leisure activities that after a single unavoidable, unpredictable, yet entirely expected accident would make it so I couldn't care for my family.  I risk my life daily in the service of my country, doing a job that is pretty unforgiving of mistakes.  But it's for a higher cause than simply being fun to do, and I also earn a decent wage doing it so I can support my family.   If it wasn't in defense of my country, no way in heck would I accept the risk of military flying no matter what the wages were.  I love flying and I love skiing, but some types of flying and some types of skiing are significantly more hazardous than others.  I risk my neck flying for my country, and to be honest the pay which supports my family isn't bad either.  But I don't fly just for the money or the thrill no matter how much I love it.

I also don't do free rock climbing or any number of other activities where the inevitable error, mistake, or accident leads to an almost certain death or massive injury.  If I did, and I was to suffer a massive injury doing so, I certainly wouldn't go back to do it again.  I have much more important things to do with my life than to risk my life or risk the welfare of my family for the thrill of a joyride.

If that is what floats their boat, I'm not going to try to stop thrill seekers from getting their adrenaline fix.  And I already said that I believe that society needs a handful of lunatics like that to press the boundaries of human abilities.  But I'm not going to hold up an example of someone going back to continue a high risk leisure activity that already nearly killed them as something heroic, any more than I'd applaud a heroin junkie who, after getting out of rehab, went through severe hardship to get his next fix.

Would anyone call Richard Pryor a hero if he had to endure severe hardships to continue to do drugs after the richard-on-fire incident that almost killed him?  It was a risky activity that he loved to do, and it almost killed him... 

:lol  +10
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 08:44:52 AM »
And BTW I think there is a world of difference between this guy, and for example a military veteran missing a leg or two who comes back to run a marathon or something.  Oor an oil rig worker who lost an arm on the job who figures out how to play baseball with his kids.  Those stories inspire me.

I saw a picture on facebook of a Soldier who had a promise kept by someone very disliked by almost everyone but the Military...ex-president Gearge W Bush  :aok He went running with him as soon as the Soldier could run again after losing a leg.....great inspiration in both people there.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 11:00:02 AM »
I saw a picture on facebook of a Soldier who had a promise kept by someone very disliked by almost everyone but the Military...ex-president Gearge W Bush  :aok He went running with him as soon as the Soldier could run again after losing a leg.....great inspiration in both people there.

Not a Vet, but along the lines of overcoming some serious loss:

http://www.dontstopliving.org/index.html

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 02:28:39 PM »
I don't do leisure activities that after a single unavoidable, unpredictable, yet entirely expected accident would make it so I couldn't care for my family. 

Thats where your wrong though he did not expect this to happen to him im sure. I enjoy surfing, which is a leisure sport, so then by your logic I should expect to be attacked by a shark when I go surfing?

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
Thats where your wrong though he did not expect this to happen to him im sure. I enjoy surfing, which is a leisure sport, so then by your logic I should expect to be attacked by a shark when I go surfing?

It's an invalid comparison, as you describe it.  Do you routinely get almost eaten by a shark every time you go out?

Skiiers who do extreme jumps and other extreme skiing routinely wipe out, sometimes from great height.  This is a normal consequence of their sporting activities.  Skiiers who jump will fall on occasion.  Sometimes those falls lead to severe injuries.

The surfing equivalent would be either routinely surfing those massive storm waves off of Australia, or surfing in an area where aggressive sharks are known to frequent, both of which would be considered highly risky activities whether or not you were getting paid for it.

Anyone else have another invalid comparison to offer?  I'll offer a real comparison, wingsuit skydiving or wingsuit base jumping with ground skimming (whatever that's officially called).  Imagine a guy who somehow manages to live after whacking the ground while flying a wingsuit, but is paralyzed.  He then goes back up for another ground skimming wingsuit jump, this time while paralyzed.  THAT would be a valid comparison, and I would have the exact same opinion about whether or not such an effort would be admirable or an example of what NOT to do.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »
I'm sorry, but knowing what you are doing in parks, going on rails and off kickers isn't as dangerous as people make it out to be. I've seen far worse injuries from just on the regular runs, and I've spent almost every bit of time I can in the last 10-11 seasons on the terrain parks or bombing down runs. It seems like you see it the same way some moms won't let their kids play football, because she heard of this one kid on the news that broke his arm playing it.

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 08:16:56 PM »

Skiiers who do extreme jumps and other extreme skiing routinely wipe out, sometimes from great height.  This is a normal consequence of their sporting activities.  Skiiers who jump will fall on occasion.  Sometimes those falls lead to severe injuries.

I doubt that Sonny Bono was hanging massive airtime. Accidents happen.

You could get chair-bound walking across the street, or while ejecting from a fighter plane.

Admit it, you don't just do your job because it pays. You enjoy it.

So do skiers. Kudos to them.

:salute
See Rule #4

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 08:31:05 PM »
Eagl

I'm going to respectfully agree to disagree with you on this subject.

'Hero' is going a bit too far for this guy.

Big brass ones... I'll give him that.

Every man has to decide what he will or will not risk in life.  He risked a ton to do what he enjoys. Perhaps you and others wouldn't and that's your decision based on where you are in life.  Experience is a brutal and sometimes vicious teacher. 

Say he's foolish and lives dangerously.  I'll give you that.  But I still admire the fact that he is pushing his limits despite his limitations. 

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2012, 08:38:40 PM »
Good for him :aok

inspiring
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »
even if it was the one thing you live for in this world? you wouldnt try to keep doing it when hindered in such a way? we all have the one thing in our lives that as a hobby or as a love we do not want to live with. why is this different?

If that's all one has to live for... Life must be a terrible disappointment.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2012, 08:59:02 PM »
If that's all one has to live for... Life must be a terrible disappointment.

That is signature-worthy!

-Penguin

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 02:36:10 PM »
It's an invalid comparison, as you describe it.  Do you routinely get almost eaten by a shark every time you go out?

The surfing equivalent would be either routinely surfing those massive storm waves off of Australia, or surfing in an area where aggressive sharks are known to frequent, both of which would be considered highly risky activities whether or not you were getting paid for it.

Anyone else have another invalid comparison to offer?  I'll offer a real comparison, wingsuit skydiving or wingsuit base jumping with ground skimming (whatever that's officially called).  Imagine a guy who somehow manages to live after whacking the ground while flying a wingsuit, but is paralyzed.  He then goes back up for another ground skimming wingsuit jump, this time while paralyzed.  THAT would be a valid comparison, and I would have the exact same opinion about whether or not such an effort would be admirable or an example of what NOT to do.

I can see where your coming from because I too have been injured doing something I love (soccer, broke my leg still dont have full range back but still playing).
But at the same time I think a certain level of faith is required to do these things Im 5'7 110 pounds I do expect to get hurt playing against players that are 5'11-6'3 between 150 to 190 pounds but I never expected to break my leg. Maybe what Im trying to say is that yes you  might expect to get hurt you just dont expect it to be as bad as it could be.

So agreeing to disagree as Dicho said.

:salute