Author Topic: This dude is a stud  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
This dude is a stud
« on: February 08, 2012, 04:09:56 PM »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: This dude is a stud
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:27:30 PM »
WOW
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:36:25 PM »
He broke his neck doing a flip, and his life's goal after the accident is to do the same stunt again?

Amazing is the right word, but in the context of "it's amazing how hard some people work to ensure they remove themselves from the gene pool".

Good for him achieving his goal, but that's not exactly what I think I'd dedicate my life to doing after suffering that bad of an injury participating in a high risk sporting activity.  It's a bit like if you lose the use of your shooting hand after shooting yourself in the head playing russian roulette, switching the gun to your off-hand and bragging about continuing to play russian roulette.  It sure shows dedication but the judgement call is IMHO questionable.

But the world needs crazies to push boundaries so even if he kills himself next time I suppose he'll be serving a purpose in the grand scheme of things.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:42:20 PM »
Yeah, he could have stayed grounded but good for him he didn't.     :aok 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 06:57:35 PM »
He broke his neck doing a flip, and his life's goal after the accident is to do the same stunt again?

Amazing is the right word, but in the context of "it's amazing how hard some people work to ensure they remove themselves from the gene pool".

Good for him achieving his goal, but that's not exactly what I think I'd dedicate my life to doing after suffering that bad of an injury participating in a high risk sporting activity.  It's a bit like if you lose the use of your shooting hand after shooting yourself in the head playing russian roulette, switching the gun to your off-hand and bragging about continuing to play russian roulette.  It sure shows dedication but the judgement call is IMHO questionable.

But the world needs crazies to push boundaries so even if he kills himself next time I suppose he'll be serving a purpose in the grand scheme of things.
:huh

Some people don't understand doing what you love and not being held back by anything...

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »

You know I like and respect you sir but seriously?

The guy loves what he does and does what he loves.  Are you telling me you haven't had a few close calls in your platforms?  If something, God forbid, happened to you are you seriously saying if the opportunity to get in and ride that beast one more time wouldn't appeal to you?

I think the guy in question has some serious stones. 
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:44:01 PM »
This guy is an inspiration. Nuff said.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:08:39 PM »
You know I like and respect you sir but seriously?

The guy loves what he does and does what he loves.  Are you telling me you haven't had a few close calls in your platforms?  If something, God forbid, happened to you are you seriously saying if the opportunity to get in and ride that beast one more time wouldn't appeal to you?

I think the guy in question has some serious stones. 

I don't do leisure activities that after a single unavoidable, unpredictable, yet entirely expected accident would make it so I couldn't care for my family.  I risk my life daily in the service of my country, doing a job that is pretty unforgiving of mistakes.  But it's for a higher cause than simply being fun to do, and I also earn a decent wage doing it so I can support my family.   If it wasn't in defense of my country, no way in heck would I accept the risk of military flying no matter what the wages were.  I love flying and I love skiing, but some types of flying and some types of skiing are significantly more hazardous than others.  I risk my neck flying for my country, and to be honest the pay which supports my family isn't bad either.  But I don't fly just for the money or the thrill no matter how much I love it.

I also don't do free rock climbing or any number of other activities where the inevitable error, mistake, or accident leads to an almost certain death or massive injury.  If I did, and I was to suffer a massive injury doing so, I certainly wouldn't go back to do it again.  I have much more important things to do with my life than to risk my life or risk the welfare of my family for the thrill of a joyride.

If that is what floats their boat, I'm not going to try to stop thrill seekers from getting their adrenaline fix.  And I already said that I believe that society needs a handful of lunatics like that to press the boundaries of human abilities.  But I'm not going to hold up an example of someone going back to continue a high risk leisure activity that already nearly killed them as something heroic, any more than I'd applaud a heroin junkie who, after getting out of rehab, went through severe hardship to get his next fix.

Would anyone call Richard Pryor a hero if he had to endure severe hardships to continue to do drugs after the richard-on-fire incident that almost killed him?  It was a risky activity that he loved to do, and it almost killed him... 

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 10:12:28 PM »
I'd call his actions heroic if after his accident, he founded a company selling skiing equipment and became rich, expecially if some of the stuff he sold enabled other paralyzed people or amputees to keep skiing.  Or if he became a civic leader.  Or a teacher.  Anything but going back to do the same stupid idiotic thing that got him paralyzed in the first place.  That's not heroic, it seems kind of dumb actually.

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »
I don't do leisure activities that after a single unavoidable, unpredictable, yet entirely expected accident would make it so I couldn't care for my family.  I risk my life daily in the service of my country, doing a job that is pretty unforgiving of mistakes.  But it's for a higher cause than simply being fun to do, and I also earn a decent wage doing it so I can support my family.   If it wasn't in defense of my country, no way in heck would I accept the risk of military flying no matter what the wages were.  I love flying and I love skiing, but some types of flying and some types of skiing are significantly more hazardous than others.  I risk my neck flying for my country, and to be honest the pay which supports my family isn't bad either.  But I don't fly just for the money or the thrill no matter how much I love it.

I also don't do free rock climbing or any number of other activities where the inevitable error, mistake, or accident leads to an almost certain death or massive injury.  If I did, and I was to suffer a massive injury doing so, I certainly wouldn't go back to do it again.  I have much more important things to do with my life than to risk my life or risk the welfare of my family for the thrill of a joyride.

If that is what floats their boat, I'm not going to try to stop thrill seekers from getting their adrenaline fix.  And I already said that I believe that society needs a handful of lunatics like that to press the boundaries of human abilities.  But I'm not going to hold up an example of someone going back to continue a high risk leisure activity that already nearly killed them as something heroic, any more than I'd applaud a heroin junkie who, after getting out of rehab, went through severe hardship to get his next fix.

Would anyone call Richard Pryor a hero if he had to endure severe hardships to continue to do drugs after the richard-on-fire incident that almost killed him?  It was a risky activity that he loved to do, and it almost killed him... 

I agree. 

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 10:32:41 PM »

even if it was the one thing you live for in this world? you wouldnt try to keep doing it when hindered in such a way? we all have the one thing in our lives that as a hobby or as a love we do not want to live with. why is this different?
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 10:34:53 PM »
Ya pay your money and ya take your chances.  How much are ya willing to lose is the question.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 10:58:42 PM »
even if it was the one thing you live for in this world? you wouldnt try to keep doing it when hindered in such a way? we all have the one thing in our lives that as a hobby or as a love we do not want to live with. why is this different?

That makes him a junkie not a hero, in my opinion.  I understand that many people have the initial reaction of admiring what he did.  Think about it from a slightly different perspective and he's just some guy who had to work extra hard to be able to do a highly dangerous leisure activity that he really enjoys.

The hero to me is some guy who does stuff for other people...  Simply overcoming adversity can be inspirational, but in my opinion overcoming great adversity to continue doing a high-risk leisure activity is more dumb than inspirational.  Think of what he could have done with that drive if he'd spent the same energy doing something productive instead of trying to finish killing himself.

Again, it's his choice and I wouldn't dream of criticizing him for his choices even if I personally think it's a dumb thing to do.  But I'm not going to use him for inspiration, as an example to follow, or hold him up as a hero for others to emulate, for all the reasons I've already stated.  If he'd done something worthwhile after breaking his neck, yea he'd be a total hero to me.  Going back down the mountain and doing the flip again is a neat trick but that's about it.

Of course, I am not an amputee and I'm not paralyzed.  I understand that a lot of people who face severe physical challenges would be more inspired by what he's done, mastering a physical activity in spite of his physical condition.  It still seems kind of dumb and frankly I'd be more impressed if he came up with a better way for guys in wheelchairs to wipe their butts.  I'm not being sarcastic at all, that's HARD and a terribly demoralizing thing to struggle with.  As a guy with a painful and limiting back injury myself, I understand how demoralizing such injuries can be.  But going back to do a ski jump...  Impress me by putting that effort into something noble and then I'll be inspired.  This guy just spent a lot of energy overcoming barriers that were preventing him from trying to kill himself again.

edit:  I just finished a painful daily 20 minute session in traction hanging upside down on an inversion table, so I can continue to work to support my family.  I'd be a freaking retard if I took the progress I've made through painful daily rehab and therapy, and risked it all for a joyride off of a ski jump.  Or started hiring myself out as an advanced aerobatic flight instructor just because it's the most fun thing I can think of doing after I get out of the military.  That's just stupid and dangerous.  I've already suffered my life changing injury doing the one thing I love to do.  Time to grow up, and I made my "final" decision to grow up about 6 months ago when I finally got my back injury treated.  I guess I'm not impressed in part because of the choices I've made and continue to make, as an adult with responsibilities.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:04:46 PM by eagl »

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 12:16:14 AM »
he just wouldn't take no for a answer  :lol he's got more balls then brains is all i can say.  :huh
Lighten up Francis